Here's a question (but not a poll): do you prefer synths/samplers or effects?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Do you find yourself more interested in things which make sound (in the box) like new types of synthesisers and samplers or things which change the sound, both subtly or significantly?

As much as I 'enjoy' nice new distortions and FFT manglers I'm far more interested in expressive synthetic performance tools, probably due to my history of brass bands and folk music. I spend far more (fun) time making noises with, and waggling the knobs of, (soft) synths than I do listening-to-and-tweaking reverbs or distortions.

And how much of that difference between the two is expressed in your production or writing time? eg, I spend faaar too long playing and tweaking a sound than I will picking effects. I just want that bit done quickly so I spend more time on the notes and the sound.

I also welcome any comments about how dumb this question is! :)

It's easiest to make interesting changes to a sound close to the source, so synths and resynthesis (harmor, falcon)

CinningBao wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:32 pm I spend far more (fun) time making noises with, and waggling the knobs of, (soft) synths than I do listening-to-and-tweaking reverbs or distortions.
Same here.

it's all just one big toy.
so "the studio" as an entity rather than as a collective of individual entities.

I prefer blondes.
Or effectively sampled synths, but these not so much as blondes.

I like synths that can make beep beep sounds, they are fun.
aliasing plugin owner
:?

I like synths that can make boob boob sounds, they are fun.

For me, it’s definitely about both. But if I had to choose, I feel more excited by mangling standard sounds with effects than getting crazy in the instrument and having none.I could probably make music with a single physical modeling synth, some crazy effects, and some drum samples and be very happy with the results

I like all three - synths, samplers and effects, but since the ambient/IDM I produce relies solely on synths, that's what I use, even bridged 32bit ones because some of those oldies are still goodies.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

vurt wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:21 pm it's all just one big toy.
so "the studio" as an entity rather than as a collective of individual entities.
Agree. Strong separation of synths and effects is a bit unnatural. Music is a flow. Unity of different details.

Apples or oranges?

yes
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

CinningBao wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:32 pm Do you find yourself more interested in things which make sound (in the box) like new types of synthesisers and samplers or things which change the sound, both subtly or significantly?
To me this is like asking do you prefer food to garnish because effects are just that - garnish, that last little bit of polish to complete the dish/song but something that doesn't really matter if you can't be bothered.
And how much of that difference between the two is expressed in your production or writing time? eg, I spend faaar too long playing and tweaking a sound than I will picking effects. I just want that bit done quickly so I spend more time on the notes and the sound.
I mostly don't use effects at all, beyond the on-board effects in a synth. FireCobra and a limiter on my master, Puncher and EQ on my drums (which all come out of one stereo channel) and that's about it until I record some vocals (vox need lots of effects). Very, very occasionally I might add some saturation/overdrive/distortion but not very often. My process has become very simple over the past few years, to excellent effect.
lobanov wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:06 am
vurt wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:21 pmit's all just one big toy. so "the studio" as an entity rather than as a collective of individual entities.
Agree. Strong separation of synths and effects is a bit unnatural. Music is a flow. Unity of different details.
Sure but the OP isn't denying that, he's asking where you put your main effort and/or which you enjoy working with more. It's pretty straightforward, really.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

wilkins_micawber wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:14 pm It's easiest to make interesting changes to a sound close to the source, so synths and resynthesis (harmor, falcon)
I totally agree.. resynthesis rules. Thanks

chk071 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:18 pm
CinningBao wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:32 pm I spend far more (fun) time making noises with, and waggling the knobs of, (soft) synths than I do listening-to-and-tweaking reverbs or distortions.
Same here.
Glad to hear it! Thanks for commenting

Return to “Instruments”