Waves V14 is Finally Here! Hooray!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

New: Faster load times Improved loading times for plugins, presets, and sessions in your DAW
How much is it improved?

davestretch wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:11 pm You DO NOT have to WUP your plugins to use 2 machines - just store the Licences on a USB Thumb Drive. Problem solved!

....but they should allow on 2 devices with a regular licence.
You get a second license as long the plan is active. After that you have one! Putting them on a drive does make sense, but beware drives can break…

Thumb drives aren't so convenient for laptops.

As a failsafe, you should have TeamViewer installed so you can free up your license remotely.

East West does the same crap with only one iLok license per library. :x
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:52 pmAs a failsafe, you should have TeamViewer installed so you can free up your license remotely.
The electricity bill for keeping the main rig on 24/7 would probably pay for annual WUP - and 2nd licenses - alone.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

DNnX wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:12 am
New: Faster load times Improved loading times for plugins, presets, and sessions in your DAW
How much is it improved?
I haven't got a chance to use with the new updated plugins yet, but I did open a few V14 plugins after installing them and I see the opening/loading is noticeably snappier on my system (Windows 11, i7-7700).

Waves are a bunch of pirate grifters

Agree that this should have been a point update as nothing ground-breaking was added, and V13 wasn't exactly a long time ago. I've also gotta say though, waves are releasing some amazing software lately and at least they're not abandoning all their old plugs.

I really don't understand why Waves get so much flak because of WUP while Bitwig is adored despite their annual paid for update plan.
And there are other examples of developers who are cashing in money regularly without groundbraking development but are loved by the community.
Is it the Too-big-to be-loved sentiment?

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:49 am I really don't understand why Waves get so much flak because of WUP while Bitwig is adored despite their annual paid for update plan.
And there are other examples of developers who are cashing in money regularly without groundbraking development but are loved by the community.
Bitwig actually develop their software with new features though and you get free bug fixes even without an active plan. You also don't need an active plan nor do you need to pay any fees (based on mickey mouse RRP) to transfer your license, unlike Waves. Paid updates aren't always a bad thing, it's just that WUP happens to be on a crappier end of the scale in terms of value/benefits imo.
Always Read the Manual!

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:49 am I really don't understand why Waves get so much flak because of WUP while Bitwig is adored despite their annual paid for update plan.
The changelog posted at the beginning of this thread is extremely short. It reads more like something you'd expect from a free .1 update from any other company. Most people probably don't mind paying for updates, but those updates should bring somewhat noticeable new features and improvements to the table.

Waves stayed on v8 then v9 for many many years, then starting with v10 they’ve moved to a different model where each update comes every 12-18 months I think. While Windows users don’t get much value out of the updates, the gap between functioning MacOSs - literally 2-3 years - means they have a bit of a captive market. I think most people work out that upgrading a bundle in a sale is both cheaper and adds plugins, so I think that’s what’s driving their income right now. I remember going from Gold to Diamond for something like $55 in a sale.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Studio Classics Collection V13 to V14 WUP is about $70 right now. Itching to update it to V14 just for the heck of it, but there's not much value for me: API Collection new HiDPI GUIs and API2500 mix-trim knobs and SSL-G Master Buss Compressor mix-trim knob. Don't think it's worth it and I should save that money for something more valuable.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:37 am
The changelog posted at the beginning of this thread is extremely short. It reads more like something you'd expect from a free .1 update from any other company. Most people probably don't mind paying for updates, but those updates should bring somewhat noticeable new features and improvements to the table.
I only posted the major changes/updates. There's a longer more detailed release notes if you click the link in the first post. But it's mostly bug fixes and house keeping tasks.

It would be easier for Waves to have more substantial updates if they had fewer plugins. Waves Mercury alone is 180 plugins.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Are waves updating GUIs only when jumping from one major version to another (v13 >v14)?

Igro wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:08 pm Are waves updating GUIs only when jumping from one major version to another (v13 >v14)?
Feels that way. If they update 9 GUIs a year and have 180 plugins (probably more), you’re looking at only 20 years to get them all done. Not bad!

Return to “Effects”