new haigh&hooper album for piano and processing: Takemitsu, Malipiero, Satie, Scriabin

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

there doesn't seem to be a way for auto embedding bandcamp stuff but here is the url .
https://enoughhmusic.bandcamp.com/album/dedications

Piano recorded in London then sent to me in Australia for processing. I dont cut anything up, so these are live performances recorded in stereo then fx added with more and/or less subtlety depending on the track

Sounds like someone has forgotten to bypass the hicut filter.
A lot of important things is hidden with this filter, especially timbres.
Idea is good, really ambient, but imho theres too much of experiments with soundesign and mixing

Medvedium wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:02 am Sounds like someone has forgotten to bypass the hicut filter.
A lot of important things is hidden with this filter, especially timbres.
Idea is good, really ambient, but imho theres too much of experiments with soundesign and mixing
thanks for the listen and considered comments - the sound is as I wanted it and many people love that quality but I appreciate that sound may not suit some listeners.

Hi fairlyclose,
Very atmospheric feel and vibe to this recording.
It is quite relaxing, and serene as well.
Enjoying your work!
Rene

Rene Asologuitar wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:46 pm Hi fairlyclose,
Very atmospheric feel and vibe to this recording.
It is quite relaxing, and serene as well.
Enjoying your work!
Rene
thanks Rene - I will take relaxing and serene any time :)

Arrangement of Erik Satie, Sarabande No. 1

Had a few listens now…a very interesting interpretation with an introspective, contemplative sense of openness and space. Possibly even more than the original, it blurs any clear tonal outlines.

I love the overall actual ‘sound’ of it all…well-judged to my ear -fits the material well.

you said: ‘’Satie makes a remarkable innovation with his Sarabandes. For the first time in Western art music, chord sequences are not subjected to melodic and harmonic development’’

I don’t doubt whatsoever the important influence of Satie, but I’m not sure that I can agree with ‘’for the first time in Western Music…’’?

I think functional harmony had already been tampered with quite considerably by quite a few important names before this – Wagner, Chopin etc etc and even more conservative composers such as Verdi on occasion as well?

I think the idea that the actual sound (or structure) of music harmony could be the dominant element rather than its actual functionality was already being explored quite extensively? Even the ‘Tristan’ chord could be considered as an identifiable sound in its own right beyond its functional qualities in any tonal organization?

Arrangement of Tōru Takemitsu, Litany

Haven’t listened to this piece for a long time now, but I thoroughly enjoyed this version. Can’t comment on how much you’ve arranged it rather than just interpreted it as I haven’t had time to listen to it side to side with the Takemitsu.

I’ve always felt that this particular piece of T’s showcases the influence of both Debussy and Messiaen…sort of flits between the two at times in the first part in particular?

Production-wise, It works very well…very natural, but possibly very slightly ‘muddy’ at times?

I’ll have a listen to others as I get the chance…all very interesting so far.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

ChameleonMusic wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:41 pm Arrangement of Erik Satie, Sarabande No. 1

Had a few listens now…a very interesting interpretation with an introspective, contemplative sense of openness and space. Possibly even more than the original, it blurs any clear tonal outlines.

I love the overall actual ‘sound’ of it all…well-judged to my ear -fits the material well.

you said: ‘’Satie makes a remarkable innovation with his Sarabandes. For the first time in Western art music, chord sequences are not subjected to melodic and harmonic development’’

I don’t doubt whatsoever the important influence of Satie, but I’m not sure that I can agree with ‘’for the first time in Western Music…’’?

I think functional harmony had already been tampered with quite considerably by quite a few important names before this – Wagner, Chopin etc etc and even more conservative composers such as Verdi on occasion as well?

I think the idea that the actual sound (or structure) of music harmony could be the dominant element rather than its actual functionality was already being explored quite extensively? Even the ‘Tristan’ chord could be considered as an identifiable sound in its own right beyond its functional qualities in any tonal organization?

Arrangement of Tōru Takemitsu, Litany

Haven’t listened to this piece for a long time now, but I thoroughly enjoyed this version. Can’t comment on how much you’ve arranged it rather than just interpreted it as I haven’t had time to listen to it side to side with the Takemitsu.

I’ve always felt that this particular piece of T’s showcases the influence of both Debussy and Messiaen…sort of flits between the two at times in the first part in particular?

Production-wise, It works very well…very natural, but possibly very slightly ‘muddy’ at times?

I’ll have a listen to others as I get the chance…all very interesting so far.
thanks so much for that deep listen Mark - I shall pass your observations onto Matthew Haigh, the pianist who wrote the liner notes. He will appreciate your thoughtful comments and it will be interesting to me to hear his comments on your comments - I get a little music theory and history each project we do.

Return to “Music Cafe”