How many amp model sims/ IRs do you actually use?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like the Strymon Iridium and Quilter Superblock HW sims a lot, but this little swart amp I got is rapidly ruining all amp sims for me. Such beautiful and dynamic tone from the tube circuits, cabinet and spring reverb, nothing else I've 'ever' used comes close to it really. :shrug:

I usually focus on Nembrini or Korg (VOX?) for software amps.

I've gone through multiple years of never clicking with how cabinet IR's heavily shape the response and resonance that nowadays I just... use filters and EQ to dial it in myself... :scared:

eXe Consulting's ampsims, generally the Fender and Marshall but sometimes the AC30 (can't argue with Spice models!) and SwankyAmp. For IRs, none whatsoever; I only use Volterra-based technologies, mostly Mercuriall Cab v2 and v3. Real amps and speakers respond to volume; why use a sim that doesn't? And to answer your next question, feed sines into a sim.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

one sim only : 'cause tone is in the fingers
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Have Neural, they are just collecting virtual dust. Overhyped.

TH-U with a bunch of rig packs most of the time.

Kemper loaded up pretty good as an alternative.

If I'm not feeling too lazy I'll run some 100 watt amp heads into a Torpedo Studio and use either the Torpedo IRs or some York IRs. If I'm feeling nostalgic enough I'll throw an SPX 90, PCM 70, SDE 3000 into the amp loop.

Kazrog Mcp2/Plexi and Redwire ac30/Marshal 60 412.
Sknote Deluxe. Stock IR

I peep in from time to time but pretty satisfied.

I play clean and edge of break up.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

punkfest2000 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:05 am Have Neural, they are just collecting virtual dust. Overhyped.

TH-U with a bunch of rig packs most of the time.

Kemper loaded up pretty good as an alternative.

If I'm not feeling too lazy I'll run some 100 watt amp heads into a Torpedo Studio and use either the Torpedo IRs or some York IRs. If I'm feeling nostalgic enough I'll throw an SPX 90, PCM 70, SDE 3000 into the amp loop.
When I was upgrading my rig, the best solution I could find was running an actual amp into a Torpedo Studio. I went Kemper Amp Profiler instead, because the sound was also good and for the the same money I could have a wide variety of amp choices and good quality effects. A little wile ago, I traded for an AxeFX 3 because I wanted dual amp setups.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

none...I dont even think I have any in my current machine, I have not used one since moving to Maine for anything and that was going on 6 years ago. :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

For guitar, I really only use NeuralDSP's Fortin Nameless plugin. High or medium gain, clean...everything. I have a license for the Abasi plugin and like the clean amp on that one, but just keep coming back to the Nameless. Way more character to the clean tone. That amp just nails the sound in my head so well that everything else i try seems unnecessary.

I'll run synths and loops through their Darkglass plugin and also that stripped-down PA Ampeg amp that was free for a minute, or Live's built in amps. That's pretty much it.

I use a simple chain:
Voxengo Tube Amp > Kelvin > Overtone GEQ (tuned to Mesa frequencies) > Boogex for some cabs

the only paid plugin is Kelvin, but honestly could do with just boogex i'm just picky

ocassionally use the gr5 orange amp, to dirty up softsynyhs.
but for guitar, none.
just hw fx. no amp beyond the input on my interface.

unless im just jamming, then i plug my amp in. entertainment for the neighbours, share and share alike :D

Well , outside the computer , I like my Roland Cube 30 ..... Haven't tried or got into Amp Sims in the computer yet . I have Komplete 13 so I know I have GuitarRig6 , I mainly play Acoustic ..... I have a 5 watt Tube Amp also but it's dog gone loud to play with my wife and mother in law in the house . Small house .lol ..... I really like the Cube 30 it's got Roland Jazz , fender ,Vox , Marshall , and Mesa sounds in it . Real easy to dial in at low low volumes ...

Really liking the Celestion cab sims a lot. Speaker Mix is expensive and likely not for everyone
with it's mildly cumbersome copy protection, but it sounds amazing. Not really using any amp
sims, just pedals and the Quilter Superblock mostly. Kinda thinking about getting one of those
milkman desktop amps in place of the quilter.

My go-to amp sim is my Dumble Overdrive Special into a 40 foot wall of Marshall cabs.

Sorry...what was the question?

:ud:

that's a big studio then :P

Return to “Guitars”