New Trance Song :)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is my latest production. Im pretty happy with it just wanted to know your guys thoughts

https://soundcloud.com/x1408x/1408-above

about 42 seconds in i am thinking one thing you could do to make it more interesting is change up the claps a little bit, not just one thing over and over. A little after 1:30 thinking the keys sound nice. A nice breakdown area to break up the song a bit, nice I like it. Liked the build a lot going into about 3:15. This is really "typical" sounding. Like nothing makes it any different than the thousand other songs that sound like it. I think it is well done just not very original in my opinion.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

This production sounds very nice. I could see this on a playlist with lots of other trance tracks. Maybe it could use a little variety, but even now it sounds great.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Seems like you've just started floating the mixing skills ocean...
- Kick should be equalized properly - it has no punch and attack, but has that boomy freqs that are usually cut - like a proper eq-ing was implemented right vice versa - good freqs are attenuated and bad freqs are boosted. Also the kick seems to be too long, giving less space for the bass. Take any dance-trance samplepack kick and compare to yours - you'll find out a lot.
- Bass riff is thin... Bass pad is quiet...
- A lot of misbalance there - leads are louder than bass, percs are too dim, groove isnt pronounced...

Musically it's a good track - reminding 2000-ies pop dream trance.
Though I'm not sure it's okay for nowadays...
Today I hear in the freshest trance tracks some influences of such a weird things like trap, drill, future bass. People already got used to new types of melodies, provided by urban genres... Simple minor tunes in trance sound obsolete now...

Didn't wanted to sound like an old lady, you have feel of the vibe, the rest will come with practice )

Medvedium wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:25 am Seems like you've just started floating the mixing skills ocean...
- Kick should be equalized properly - it has no punch and attack, but has that boomy freqs that are usually cut - like a proper eq-ing was implemented right vice versa - good freqs are attenuated and bad freqs are boosted. Also the kick seems to be too long, giving less space for the bass. Take any dance-trance samplepack kick and compare to yours - you'll find out a lot.
- Bass riff is thin... Bass pad is quiet...
- A lot of misbalance there - leads are louder than bass, percs are too dim, groove isnt pronounced...

Musically it's a good track - reminding 2000-ies pop dream trance.
Though I'm not sure it's okay for nowadays...
Today I hear in the freshest trance tracks some influences of such a weird things like trap, drill, future bass. People already got used to new types of melodies, provided by urban genres... Simple minor tunes in trance sound obsolete now...

Didn't wanted to sound like an old lady, you have feel of the vibe, the rest will come with practice )
Ya iv pretty much been producing for idk two months now. But I will take your thoughts into consideration :) I guess the kick can have more punch to it. I did get it from a trance sample pack (not vengeance) There are actually two kicks in there one for a click and one for the base. And your right the base is kind of toned down and doesnt sound full. Next time I might layer it some more. Thanks again for the comment :)

When layering - dont forget to check phase, I guess most of the DAWs have an 'invert phase' option in their stock samplers.
When layering similar samples, they may cancel each other's frequencies (so-called phase cancellation effect), and the phase inversion helps a lot in these cases.

Also when mixing the low end (incl kicks) - make sure your EQ has linear phase mode, and it is ON - there's some math within it, but lack of this mode (in simpler EQs) spoils the kicks and bass

Kick mixing has its "rules" - like several common freqs of eq-ing - check tutorial vids how to mix kicks

Also - references are your best friends. Actually they're my best friends too, and everyone's, and the more experienced I become the better and more useful these best friends are ))
On this stage they can help you with the balance, and with sound of particular lines, and they help to take away frustrations musician face while producing )

Listening on my iPad, so I won’t comment on the mix other than to say it sounds like I’d expect it to sound on cheap earbuds. I agree with the others, sounds like a nice piece of classic trance. Maybe not the most modern sounding (which is arguably a good thing given how hard it is to find modern trance that doesn’t suck these days), but I really like the lead and breakdown. :phones:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

Pretty good.
Not much separation between the elements and favors the mid-range a lot. So, mixing could be improved. But enjoyable track.

Medvedium wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:42 pm When layering - dont forget to check phase, I guess most of the DAWs have an 'invert phase' option in their stock samplers.
When layering similar samples, they may cancel each other's frequencies (so-called phase cancellation effect), and the phase inversion helps a lot in these cases.

Also when mixing the low end (incl kicks) - make sure your EQ has linear phase mode, and it is ON - there's some math within it, but lack of this mode (in simpler EQs) spoils the kicks and bass

Kick mixing has its "rules" - like several common freqs of eq-ing - check tutorial vids how to mix kicks

Also - references are your best friends. Actually they're my best friends too, and everyone's, and the more experienced I become the better and more useful these best friends are ))
On this stage they can help you with the balance, and with sound of particular lines, and they help to take away frustrations musician face while producing )
So I actually am learning on FaderPro idk if you have heard of it but its tutorials from like the most famous DJs so I kind of copied what they do in their mixs but honestly It could be that im obviously using different samples then them so everything is not the same. I will def learn about improving on the mix a bit more though in my next track. I guess the key thing is to take time with it. I have a habit of rushing things when it gets towards the end of production because I just want to be done haha. Thanks for your input!

Bansaw wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:18 pm Pretty good.
Not much separation between the elements and favors the mid-range a lot. So, mixing could be improved. But enjoyable track.
Hey thanks! Ya im going to take your guys advice and learn some more mixing techniques.

It sounds good. I just have a question, you said above that you've only been doing this two months. Is this made with VSTs? Or is it entirely loops from samplepacks?

an-electric-heart wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:45 am It sounds good. I just have a question, you said above that you've only been doing this two months. Is this made with VSTs? Or is it entirely loops from samplepacks?
Its made with VSTs I didnt use loops at all. I only have a hi hat loop in there. Other than that I make my own melodys and everything else.

iseeghosties wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:50 am
an-electric-heart wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:45 am It sounds good. I just have a question, you said above that you've only been doing this two months. Is this made with VSTs? Or is it entirely loops from samplepacks?
Its made with VSTs I didnt use loops at all. I only have a hi hat loop in there. Other than that I make my own melodys and everything else.
Cool! :tu: It's very good then. If it was just entirely stacked loops from a sample pack I would consider that cheating :hihi: . I kind of echo what Alex said, although it is good, it sounds like it'd be somewhere in the middle of a Ministry of Sound CD from 20 years ago... I hope that's not too brutal :hug: , but yes, considering you've only just started it's onwards and upwards.

an-electric-heart wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:08 am
iseeghosties wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:50 am
Cool! :tu: It's very good then. If it was just entirely stacked loops from a sample pack I would consider that cheating :hihi: . I kind of echo what Alex said, although it is good, it sounds like it'd be somewhere in the middle of a Ministry of Sound CD from 20 years ago... I hope that's not too brutal :hug: , but yes, considering you've only just started it's onwards and upwards.
Well thanks alot :) Means alot ya I understand that it sounds like something for way back when but hey it just helps me get use to producing :)

Return to “Music Cafe”