Thinking of buying a back issue of Computer Music Magazine - VST plugins worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Spring Goose wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:13 pm
aslotkin wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:13 pm read them in the Libby app on my tablet (complete with full FileSilo access, of course!).
That is fraud. The terms state that you need to purchase the magazine in print or digital format to be eligible for the Filesilo access.
That probably falls into the same shady area as sharing the monthly "code word" with a friend.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:22 pm
aslotkin wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:13 pm read them in the Libby app on my tablet (complete with full FileSilo access, of course!).
That is fraud. The terms state that you need to purchase the magazine in print or digital format to be eligible for the Filesilo access.
That probably falls into the same shady area as sharing the monthly "code word" with a friend.
I'm not sure, i'm not aware of T&C of monthly "code word". You're talking about Plugin Alliance right?

Spring Goose wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:26 pm
I'm not sure, i'm not aware of T&C of monthly "code word". You're talking about Plugin Alliance right?
Nope. File Silo prompts you to enter a word from a specific page in the CM issue to register it to your account. That "code word". It's a shady hack if you're obtaining it either from a friend or a library.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:41 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:26 pm
Nope. File Silo prompts you to enter a word from a specific page in the CM issue to register it to your account. That "code word". It's a shady hack if you're obtaining it either from a friend or a library.
Ah i understand. :tu:

I doubt you could get the CPS to care though.

NikkiA wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:40 pm I doubt you could get the CPS to care though.
You're correct, but nonetheless the person was apparently unaware that it is dishonest.

I hear what you're saying, but public libraries pay a fee to publishers to acquire materials that normally must be purchased, with the express understanding that patrons will check them out at no cost and then make use of the content those materials provide. To me, it's not really an ethical dilemma, as my tax dollars go toward funding my community's library, and a portion of those fees goes toward the magazine's publisher. At any rate, I thought people might find the information useful, but feel free to ignore it!

Spring Goose wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:09 pm You're correct, but nonetheless the person was apparently unaware that it is dishonest.
Spring Goose, if the KVR ops somehow knew about much of its members' site-policy-related so-called 'dishonest' 'transgressions' committed elsewhere but nevertheless had a policy of kicking or banning those, there likely wouldn't be any members left on its site.

See also the book, (or just read its summary or abstract), 'Three Felonies A Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent'.
Consider also this:
“ 'Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime' was Beria’s infamous boast. He served as deputy premier from 1941 until Stalin’s death in 1953, supervising the expansion of the gulags and other secret detention facilities for political prisoners. He became part of a post-Stalin, short-lived ruling troika until he was executed for treason after Nikita Khrushchev’s coup d’etat in 1953." ~ The Oxford Eagle
If a system is acting against the best interests of its 'captive' populations, guess what?
"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable..." ~ H.L. Mencken

Borbolactic wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:31 am
Spring Goose wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:09 pm You're correct, but nonetheless the person was apparently unaware that it is dishonest.
Spring Goose, if the KVR ops somehow knew about much of its members' site-policy-related so-called 'dishonest' 'transgressions' committed elsewhere but nevertheless had a policy of kicking or banning those, there likely wouldn't be any members left on its site.

See also the book, (or just read its summary or abstract), 'Three Felonies A Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent'.
Consider also this:
“ 'Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime' was Beria’s infamous boast. He served as deputy premier from 1941 until Stalin’s death in 1953, supervising the expansion of the gulags and other secret detention facilities for political prisoners. He became part of a post-Stalin, short-lived ruling troika until he was executed for treason after Nikita Khrushchev’s coup d’etat in 1953." ~ The Oxford Eagle
If a system is acting against the best interests of its 'captive' populations, guess what?
I didn't say he's a mafia boss. I understand that it is just "innocent" "dishonesty" like many of the population which aren't their fault. KVR are against promotion of warez and scams.

I do understand your point. Here in Britain schools don't even bother to teach children about Law, crime, and punishment.

...Or critical-thinking skills that, ironically, challenge such notions as 'school', 'education', 'law', 'State-mandated-education-cum-ideological-indoctrination-cum-ideological-kidnapping-of-children'.

'Another brick in the wall', sang Pink Floyd.

One doesn't have to be a 'mob boss' to engage in a 'death-of-a-thousand-cuts'. All one has to do is, say, browbeat, or rat on, one's neighbor, friend or family member. Stab them in the back in the interest of helping out the 'Agent Smiths' of 'societal dystopias'.

Think also of 'gift economies' and 'sharing is caring'.
"... So money goes toward those who will create even more of it. But, basically economic growth means that you have to find something that was once nature and make it into a good, or was once a gift-relationship and make it into a service. You have to find something that people once got for free or did for themselves or for each other, and then take it away and sell it back to them, somehow. By turning things into commodities, we get cut off from nature in the same ways we are cut off from community." ~ Charles Eisenstein
Last edited by Borbolactic on Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable..." ~ H.L. Mencken

ScottZ wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:04 am why not just buy a back issue digitally? Way cheaper and you get all the back issue downloads minus some exclusive issues like z3ta and some others.
i also think some bundled plugins have been removed from later issues, Acustica Violet CM springs to mind.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

I've been catching up on some past issues in my Zinio library. I was looking for the video tutorial on "chromatic mediants" in the October 2018 issue along with some other issues.

When I got to File Silo, the downloads have been copied to a online file sharing site along with a rich text document with the content links, no login required. Just sayin....

What's the deal?
Last edited by The Noodlist on Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Noodlist wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:37 pm When I got to File Silo, the downloads have been copied to a online file sharing site along with a rich text document with the content links, no login required. Just sayin....
Oh yes, confirmed, no login details anymore. The download links on the pages work too, no speed issues any more strangely.

There's some nice tools in there, bazillecm, thorncm etc.

GaryG wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:19 pm
The Noodlist wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:37 pm When I got to File Silo, the downloads have been copied to a online file sharing site along with a rich text document with the content links, no login required. Just sayin....

Oh yes, confirmed, no login details anymore. The download links on the pages work too, no speed issues any more strangely.

There's some nice tools in there, bazillecm, thorncm etc.

Those synths appear to be included in the latest instrument plugin suite.

Last edited by The Noodlist on Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”