FM8 for $10? (€/£12)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BenfordLaw wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:49 pm If all VSTs were £12, I would be buying three or four a month.
I wouldn't. Do you have an endless amount of time, or do you just like collecting bits&bytes?

You know... it's not just about collecting. Who knows if you won't use something at some point, and then you'll kick yourself when you didn't grab it for $10. :D

Could still kick me, for example, that I didn't grab UltraChannel for free a long time ago. And, I say that even though I don't even know if I would make use of it. Just the sheer thought that I might have passed on a nice freebie is enough to give a bit of a bad feeling.

Or you could kick yourself in spending $10 for something you don't use for a long time. Then when you're finally willing to use it, it hasn't been updated for years and it isn't compatible with your DAW, your OS or whatever. And the software company in charge of support have zero idea of how to support it because of staff turnover and lack of IP handover.

Spend money on things you want to use now.

Its a synth on sale for $10 ffs. All this shite about can’t use it in years to come? I think this thread is scraping the barrel tbh 🤦‍♂️
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

don_sook wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:54 pm Or you could kick yourself in spending $10 for something you don't use for a long time. Then when you're finally willing to use it, it hasn't been updated for years and it isn't compatible with your DAW, your OS or whatever. And the software company in charge of support have zero idea of how to support it because of staff turnover and lack of IP handover.
Highly unlikely. 8)

I ended up getting both FM8 and F'Em. That might seem a little weird as F'Em pretty much makes FM8 redundant as far as I can tell, but I actually find them complementing eachother well. F'Em is cpu heavy, whereas FM8 is extremely light - it's interesting building a patch in one and then translating it to the other. I've never really got deep into FM synthesis so it's actually quite interesting learning a very iconic softsynth at the same time as one that is very clearly heavily inspired by it.

$10 is a no-brainer price in my book. One issue for some people may be the small UI if they have a 4K screen. On my HD 24" monitor it is slightly small, but its not bad. Setting the scaling to 125% on my PC helps with that if my eyes are having a bad day.

skyscape wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:41 am I've never really got deep into FM synthesis so it's actually quite interesting learning a very iconic softsynth at the same time as one that is very clearly heavily inspired by it.
Same here. I took this as a motivation to learn FM8 a bit. Programming seems a bit tedious compared to subtractive synths, but, I guess it doesn't come by chance that the one is by far more popular than the other. Doesn't mean that it's not an interesting concept, of course.

chk071 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:11 pm You know... it's not just about collecting. Who knows if you won't use something at some point, and then you'll kick yourself when you didn't grab it for $10. :D

Could still kick me, for example, that I didn't grab UltraChannel for free a long time ago. And, I say that even though I don't even know if I would make use of it. Just the sheer thought that I might have passed on a nice freebie is enough to give a bit of a bad feeling.
Lol!

This is a you problem. Try reframing it. Slow breaths and repeat many times.

"I'm not sure why I thought I needed that. I have plenty of EQs and compressors already. I just need to choose a few to make 'my sound'. I'm not sure why I thought I needed that. I have plenty of EQs and compressors already. I just need to choose a few to make 'my sound'. I'm not sure why I thought I needed that. I have plenty of EQs and compressors already. I just need to choose a few to make 'my sound'. I'm not sure why I thought I needed that. I have plenty of EQs and compressors already. I just need to choose a few to make 'my sound'."

don_sook wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:54 pm Or you could kick yourself in spending $10 for something you don't use for a long time. Then when you're finally willing to use it, it hasn't been updated for years and it isn't compatible with your DAW, your OS or whatever. And the software company in charge of support have zero idea of how to support it because of staff turnover and lack of IP handover.

Spend money on things you want to use now.
Christ, you sure are reading a lot into what I wrote, aren't you... LOL. You've made up a completely fake scenario about my life, my wants, my needs, and then telling me I'm wrong for doing it!

I have bought many VSTs at under £30 and I use all of them. Why wouldn't I? If I had just one VST and bought soundbanks for it, would I not be risking the same (terrible, apparently) fate? That I might not use one of the soundbanks "for a long time" (oh the humanity).

This forum gets more and more ridiculous.

Examigan wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:55 am $10 is a no-brainer price in my book. One issue for some people may be the small UI if they have a 4K screen. On my HD 24" monitor it is slightly small, but its not bad. Setting the scaling to 125% on my PC helps with that if my eyes are having a bad day.
One issue for some people is that they buy a 4K 24" screen in the first place. I have a 43" 4K monitor, I have no problems with smaller VSTs. You would do much better with a 43" display.

ps This is an incredible deal, FM8 looks great and sounds great, and I've bought it, thanks to the OP for bringing this bargain to our attention!

How typical of so many on KVR to find nothing but fault with a bargain like this. "Oh, it means they've stopped supporting it." "Oh, what about the bugs!" "Oh, this means FM9 must be coming out" (therefore this must be rubbish, apparently.)

BenfordLaw wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:48 am
Examigan wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:55 am $10 is a no-brainer price in my book. One issue for some people may be the small UI if they have a 4K screen. On my HD 24" monitor it is slightly small, but its not bad. Setting the scaling to 125% on my PC helps with that if my eyes are having a bad day.
One issue for some people is that they buy a 4K 24" screen in the first place. I have a 43" 4K monitor, I have no problems with smaller VSTs. You would do much better with a 43" display.
Yep, I imagine it would be nice to use a larger monitor, if I could afford it and if I had enough room, but I get along with what I have.

IMO FM8 still is the "best" / most fun fm synth available, due all that fancy macro functionality. Sound design is a lot of fun with it. And that's why it si so sad that NI does not seem to care for a 2022 version... But thanks for that offer anyway!

Why would somebody buy something that they wouldn't want to use now and they don't know when they'll use it in the future? I'm not saying FM8 is a bad synth. I didn't mean to butt-hurt you FM8 fanboys out there.

Just because something is on special, doesn't mean you should buy it. That's a classic marketing tactic people fall for hook, line and sinker.

Does anything think that this deal won't be available again? Of course it will.

Go ahead and spend 10 Euro then. I'd rather spend it on some nice gyros.

Return to “Instruments”