Who would be interest in a new kind of synth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:51 am
BBFG# wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:28 pmThink 4D.
Isn’t all sound 4D? Without that time dimension, you’d really have nothing.
Absolutely!
Of course, we're really dealing with 2D and depending on the tricks our minds employ to approximate that spatial field.
Sometimes I spend reading time over at the tube theory site. At least until I feel reading one more page will cease all existence. Maybe there really is just one dimension for us all to split hairs into infinity and that 11D Membrane is just our own mind beating against the void...
;)

BBFG# wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:03 am
zerocrossing wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:51 am
BBFG# wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:28 pmThink 4D.
Isn’t all sound 4D? Without that time dimension, you’d really have nothing.
Absolutely!
Of course, we're really dealing with 2D and depending on the tricks our minds employ to approximate that spatial field.
Sometimes I spend reading time over at the tube theory site. At least until I feel reading one more page will cease all existence. Maybe there really is just one dimension for us all to split hairs into infinity and that 11D Membrane is just our own mind beating against the void...
;)
Nice, that gives me some ideas...

I will add a "superposition" module to the list. There's a 50:50 chance of sound coming out of it if passed through it. Some patch configurations may have a chance to actually create the god sound. Bit of a niche module but I know some sound designers like Higgs will probably make good use of it. :hyper:

I think an "11 Dimension String" module might be a bit much for a classic synth, that's stuff is best left to the hardcore modular geeks. The so called "billion wire patch" people, who work with voltages accurate to 10 to -33 volts... :o

:ud:
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

What many people will appreciate and pay for in 99-199 euro range is flexibility, please make it as flexible and capable of craziness as possible :)
I am stuck with 50-60 limited synths,each could be useful in it's corner,but if have such a beast will be way more interesting to explore and innovate with such modular monster.
Consider to buy Phaseplant,but still haven't heard demo impressive enough.
I am especially interested in new synths with internal multi layering,so to connect and transform layers.
Imagine vienna symphony orchestra in a preset with multilayer structure - the technology of building such is ready as research and sound design experience,just haven't found right synth capable to release full potential of thIs research yet and do limited stuff with available ones :)
Most hilarious is some developers stop answering me after i share such ideas with them,which is disappointing personally,but reminds me,imagine Tesla to stop inventing stuff cause Edison didn't like his idea about alternating current electricity and stop answering his calls hahaha:)
Cheer:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfNBTEYbkkg

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:36 am I am stuck with 50-60 limited synths,each could be useful in it's corner
The story of most soft synths, unfortunately. Not even so much in features, because, there are some serious feature beasts out there, but, IMO, mostly in terms of sound. Way too many one trick ponies out there.

There are very few which sound good over a big spectrum of sounds. They exist, but, they are rare. I think, especially in analog hardware, it's not so rare.

chk071 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:15 am
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:36 am I am stuck with 50-60 limited synths,each could be useful in it's corner
The story of most soft synths, unfortunately. Not even so much in features, because, there are some serious feature beasts out there, but, IMO, mostly in terms of sound. Way too many one trick ponies out there.

There are very few which sound good over a big spectrum of sounds. They exist, but, they are rare. I think, especially in analog hardware, it's not so rare.
Music evolve,tools as well :)A small step ahead connecting two dots could led to serious improvements in next generation connecting more stuff - we step to what people did before us as research and achievements,so on :)
It is fact that modern synths stuck in one layer architecture,hardware synths should offer so much more considering the prices,software and hardware must work together to benefit mutual grow.
My vision is that multi-layer architecture is the future and i actually didn't dream to be a pioneer doing amazing stuff,just was very critical to my own sound and there my nonlinear dynamic start as research - if a man think i'm great never wlll grow in any direction.
First step is always what i miss,how to make things better,so on...

another idea nobody develop - will be super practical to be able to load a presets as a layer, to use them as source to create multilayer structure.
The idea is to be more easy making multilayers and to interconnect modulators,not just to play simultaneously few presets.
Cheers :)

Also if fx section let you remember fx composition - for example 1.reverb+comp;2.eq+delay+reverb,3.distortion +phaserso on.
DIfferent combinaions to be saved for fast check and comparision inside the mix.
If change sync time of delay only entire presence of the instrument is changing,this will be very helpful for producers.
Nobody do it.
Again.
So many cool improvents could be made :)

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:36 am What many people will appreciate and pay for in 99-199 euro range is flexibility, please make it as flexible and capable of craziness as possible :)
I am stuck with 50-60 limited synths, each could be useful in it's corner, but if have such a beast will be way more interesting to explore and innovate with such modular monster.
Consider to buy Phaseplant,but still haven't heard demo impressive enough.
I am especially interested in new synths with internal multi layering, so to connect and transform layers.
Imagine vienna symphony orchestra in a preset with multilayer structure - the technology of building such is ready as research and sound design experience,just haven't found right synth capable to release full potential of thIs research yet and do limited stuff with available ones :)
Most hilarious is some developers stop answering me after i share such ideas with them,which is disappointing personally,but reminds me,imagine Tesla to stop inventing stuff cause Edison didn't like his idea about alternating current electricity and stop answering his calls hahaha:)
Cheer:)
This has been my thought for many years, I'm always saying to myself nice synth shame:
- it's only got 2 lfo's
- wtf is this GUI
- ok another layout to be worked out, ah ok, erm, ooff, ok... ok.. sigh..
etc

This is why I want to build this, if this gets enough interest I will put my company and resources behind it for 1 to 2 years (estimating 3 man team of 1 to 1.5 years, 2 at worst). Then see if it makes the money to maintain it and future versions (1.x range will be free updates, major version change will cost). After the 1.5 to 2 year mark I will pickup things where my company left off as if nothing ever happened, in the industry I work in and the services I offer that is shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Phaseplant
- I like it, but it does kind of sound flat, I do like how it does linking and scaling of those maps but you can eat a lot of CPU so fast and I'm not sure why. If you build something in phaseplant that is pretty much what another vst is doing (3 OSC) and take a look at how much CPU is used between them, phaseplant will be 30%+ over the other one.

- Dune
- I love this thing, but I'm not a great fan of the GUI, it's ok, but it's a bit, come on you could have made this a bit more obvious and a nicer workflow.

I could go on with all the synths I've collected over the years... But I will typically fire up Dune 3, Ana2 and Diva before Phaseplant and Serum, but before I even go phaseplant I will often fire up falcon, if I am going to phaseplant for it's capabilities then falcon dwarfs it but is not in such a simple and intuitively designed wrapper (which I can handle).

It's like they don't want to innovate, they are afraid to think about it before building it or are not focusing on parts that really need to be focused on and evolve more.

The evolution of the class vst has not come far IMO, fire up sylenth, and just put that side by side with something that is equivalent to it today... Not that much has got better/improved, progress is so slow, but it shouldn't be in software evolution. I'm sure they had these thoughts 15+ years ago, so why didn't they build them? It's workflow related and not really that much CPU limit related. :dog:

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:19 am another idea nobody develop - will be super practical to be able to load a presets as a layer, to use them as source to create multilayer structure.
The idea is to be more easy making multi-layers and to interconnect modulators,not just to play simultaneously few presets.
Nice idea, and already in the list. Great minds eh.

I want to be able to load and merge patches/presets. As you have infinite layers theoretically to build on a 10 layer patch could just be appended to another 10 layer patch.

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:19 am another idea nobody develop - will be super practical to be able to load a presets as a layer, to use them as source to create multilayer structure.
The idea is to be more easy making multi-layers and to interconnect modulators,not just to play simultaneously few presets.
Ah, think I covered that above.
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:31 am Also if fx section let you remember fx composition - for example 1.reverb+comp;2.eq+delay+reverb,3.distortion +phaserso on.
Different combinations to be saved for fast check and comparison inside the mix.
If change sync time of delay only entire presence of the instrument is changing,this will be very helpful for producers.
Nobody do it.
Again.
So many cool improvements could be made :)
Also got added when I was thinking up how the layers and patches/presets would work. Also see documentation link below for more information on that.

Module Cluster drag and drop... hmmm hmmmm :tu:

Of course users don't need to use layers, but if they want they can stack as many of these node / module built sound designs as they want, which will help keep things clean. But if thy choose to they can build it all in 1 layer.

Here's some of my documentation so far (too much for a post here, also formatting is lost):
https://aftsound.com/ns1/NS1-Documentation.html

In effect I want to build what I consider my dream synth, ideas from others is also great as I'm only human and can't think of everything. But this has to be something I and others would really use, I don't want to build "just another synth", and I will need enough people behind it, especially if I am going to put everything on hold for 1 to 2 years to build it. I will build a concept website for all the documentation and maybe some animations, I think building a usable demo gui might be a bit overkill, but if that gets enough people behind it I will start to take steps to making it a reality.

Same ideas,man,we should unite our effort,when i say a preset like vienna symphonic orchestra it's not a theory or a dream,i already did it:)
It will be commercial success if the synth offer everything other developers don't do :)
Count me in for sound design - i've got so many ideas in different directions,will be annoying to share and discuss all here.
Serum isn't half what we speak here and is huge commercial success for sure.
Such a dream synthesizer will be endless experiments and exploration:)

imagine 10 layers - cello,horn,strings,pads,orchestra hit,so on...
Imagine 6-7 modulators - cc1,cc04,cc11,aftertouch so on controlling accent and transformation...
Imagine every move of these controllers to give more harmonic content and character...
I did imagine it few years ago,now need better synth to make better stuff :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBR2sJ6wea4

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:37 pm imagine 10 layers - cello,horn,strings,pads,orchestra hit,so on...
Imagine 6-7 modulators - cc1,cc04,cc11,aftertouch so on controlling accent and transformation...
Imagine every move of these controllers to give more harmonic content and character...
I think my mind would melt with 10 layers lol, but I would love it...

If this (no be positive! lol), WHEN this comes into existence I will literally sell most of my synths, for this. :party:

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:37 pm imagine 10 layers - cello,horn,strings,pads,orchestra hit,so on...
That is easy today, just load all parts into Unity if you don’t have Bitwig which can do this out of the box…
Layers are not new at all, they exist for decades…
Even the ancient Kontakt can do it easily… or Halion or…
I would be interested in new synthesis methods, best on the oscillator level… To combine old stuff isn’t innovative, its just a mix of old stuff…
MPE is mandatory… Without expressivity its not an instrument…

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:31 pm
That is easy today, just load all parts into Unity if you don’t have Bitwig which can do this out of the box…
Layers are not new at all, they exist for decades…
Even the ancient Kontakt can do it easily… or Halion or…
I would be interested in new synthesis methods, best on the oscillator level… To combine old stuff isn’t innovative, its just a mix of old stuff…
MPE is mandatory… Without expressivity its not an instrument…
People often mistaken multitimbrality and multilayers.
Multitimbrality is trade term to describe simutaneously playing few samples - first which pop up as memory is korg m1,kontakt is today most used and established as standard.
It's kind of fancy word for something simple as idea,it's like somebody to say that the chips is special kind of fractions,made from special vegetables with special purpose instead just slices ot potato :)
Kontakt is advanced player,but still player.
No matter how top quality library u gonna use,they remain just a picture.
What i'm offering is to watch the whole movie :)
Multilayers work different way.
This morning made new demo.
Will upload it tonigh and will try to explain the difference between sampling and multilayer dynamics,basic is kontakt libraries play what author sampled and combining few that's 'multitimrality',my dynamic structure let you make your own shapes or timbrality the way you like and find apropriate for every mix.
It's so natural tome dooing this now i can't even remember what i tryed to do before not knowing this :)

MegaPixel wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:06 pm
I think my mind would melt with 10 layers lol, but I would love it...

If this (no be positive! lol), WHEN this comes into existence I will literally sell most of my synths, for this. :party:
Later today will upload video with explanations - multilayeing is next step.
Native instruments probably will offer me couple milions to stop developing my technology,cause no customer interested with their libraries will remain hahahahaha... joking....no seriously :):):)

Multitimbrality is trade term to describe simutaneously playing few samples
Actually, it's the ability to play multiple sounds on multiple midi channels from one instrument

Return to “Instruments”