Good old music theory books!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last few weeks I've implemented some melodic rules to my Python based composition system - mainly because implementation of them is interesting challenge. These rules are derived from old (1970's) music theory books (like Gauldin's "Practical approach to 18th century counterpoint). It seems that results are quite pleasant!

https://soundcloud.com/paulilaine/im-na ... al_sharing

Very pleasant, indeed.
And very cool.

Rene Asologuitar wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:05 pm Very pleasant, indeed.
And very cool.
Thank you very much, Rene!

This is an interesting result. As Rene writes it is very pleasant.
I like doing generative stuff as well, it can come up with some ideas I might not have ordinarily.
Cool work.
Well done!
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Allomerus, big thanks for the feedback! I've tried many algorithms and some of them (like multitude of rules in classic music theory) are not easy to implement - this means that the actual implementation gives rise to interesting artefacts!

Very cool! Are the percussion/drums generated by the code too?

Genetic_Junk wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:53 pm Very cool! Are the percussion/drums generated by the code too?
Thanks, Genetic_Junk! Drums are not generated by my algorithms (this time). I made a drum-generator too , but often I prefer Microtonic, Spark or Mdrummer patterns. Mdrummer is (at least partially) algorithmic afaik.

I have plans to improve my drum generator and include a GUI. Here is example output of current system:
https://soundcloud.com/paulilaine/dr202 ... al_sharing

That was made by algorithms? Cool and pleasant result... (Btw. how much did you intervene in the process?)
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

tomtom1 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:29 am That was made by algorithms? Cool and pleasant result... (Btw. how much did you intervene in the process?)
Thanks! I do not actually intervene in the process. I start the generator, it runs and generates c. 30 separate tracks (midi files). Then I drag them to Bitwig and start to select synthesizer sounds for each of the tracks. Sometimes I put rhythmic mutes (one track plays 4 bars, then another plays 4 bars) etc.

I do not change the rhythms or pitches (except whole track octave + - ) , because the idea of my experiment is to find find out what kind, and how cool, music one can generate using (non-learning, non deep-ai) algorithms!

However the system itself and the algorithms are wip. I do improve them constantly and also develop new algorithms and test new theories.

Here is yet another one, this time mixed with old fashioned (70's ?) style. Next week I am trying to implement better harmonic progressions - stay tuned for results!

https://soundcloud.com/paulilaine/im-na ... al_sharing

Interesting - there were some good "moments" in those compositions. Sometimes things were disjointed, but I'm sure with deeper AI, things would improve. Bassline was decent.

Bansaw wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:00 pm Interesting - there were some good "moments" in those compositions. Sometimes things were disjointed, but I'm sure with deeper AI, things would improve. Bassline was decent.
Thanks, Bansaw! I guess deeper AI is not on option, because I'm not using (deep learning type) AI at all. Just old fashioned coding by myself;) But I hope that my algorithms develop over time!

Return to “Music Cafe”