How many of your guitars are collecting dust?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Winstontaneous
KVRAF
2238 posts since 15 Feb, 2006 from Berkeley, CA

Post Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:29 am

I have 8 basses and 4 guitars in regular rotation, then a couple that don't get played. As I get older ergonomics are more important for whether I'll get or keep an instrument. I want to sell several and put the money back into fewer, but super high-quality instruments. I use a variety of strings (roundwound, flatwound, half-round) on basses - a Precision or Jazz Bass sounds and feels quite different with flatwounds.

2DaT
KVRian
517 posts since 21 Jun, 2013

Post Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:24 am

All of them except bass. You know, the one that you can play with other musicians.

Uncle E
KVRAF
13542 posts since 22 Nov, 2000 from Southern California

Post Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:58 am

:hihi:

Uncle E
KVRAF

Post Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:00 am

How many bass players does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Just one, but the guitar player has to show him how to do it first.

2DaT
KVRian
517 posts since 21 Jun, 2013

Post Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:12 am

Uncle E wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:00 am How many bass players does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Just one, but the guitar player has to show him how to do it first.
How many bass players does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Zero. Pianist can do it with his left hand.

Uncle E
KVRAF

Post Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:07 am

How many guitarists does it take to screw in a light bulb? One Hundred, one to actually screw it in and 99 to stand there and say "I could have done that better."

BigSneezy
KVRer
17 posts since 21 Aug, 2022

Post Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:54 pm

I went through a phase where I had probably 15 guitars, many of them fixer-uppers which I enjoyed, and I realized that in the end I have my favorites and only played 2-3 of them with any regularity as many had similar sonic character. So I went through another phase of selling the guitars that went unused. It's alot of work to scale down. Now I have 1 HSS strat clone, 1 acoustic, and 1 Bass which is what I need for hobby studio recording. I sortof wish I'd have kept one of the darker HH setup guitars, but in the end I was moving and was reducing everything I could. Now they don't really collect dust though or take up a room of my house. LOL

tapper mike
KVRAF
Topic Starter
6313 posts since 20 Jan, 2008

Post Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:39 am

BigSneezy wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:54 pm I went through a phase where I had probably 15 guitars, many of them fixer-uppers which I enjoyed, and I realized that in the end I have my favorites and only played 2-3 of them with any regularity as many had similar sonic character. So I went through another phase of selling the guitars that went unused. It's alot of work to scale down. Now I have 1 HSS strat clone, 1 acoustic, and 1 Bass which is what I need for hobby studio recording. I sortof wish I'd have kept one of the darker HH setup guitars, but in the end I was moving and was reducing everything I could. Now they don't really collect dust though or take up a room of my house. LOL
I thinned the herd a few years back. Then started rebuilding with lesser guitars. I'm always thinking of my next guitar while these fixer uppers collect dust and I've got less time on my hands for playing than I did years ago. Sometimes I wish I had a wife to focus my hobbies.... or not.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

GaryG
KVRAF
7204 posts since 13 Jan, 2003 from Darkest Kent, UK

Post Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:35 am

I only have one guitar now so... one.

:)

Erisian
KVRAF
4614 posts since 21 Mar, 2020

Post Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:42 am

GaryG wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:35 am I only have one guitar now so... one.

:)
Likewise. :hihi:

Bombadil
KVRAF
7625 posts since 31 Aug, 2013 from Not far from Mordor

Post Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:48 am

Every time I try to thin the herd, the herd increases. I've bought 5 guitars in the last 2 years, and I am putting 3 up for sale.
I'm going to start writing and recording again soon, so those less played, like my 12 strings and classicals, will get played.

BigSneezy
KVRer
17 posts since 21 Aug, 2022

Post Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:46 am

tapper mike wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:39 am I'm always thinking of my next guitar while these fixer uppers collect dust
I've wondered if I actually enjoyed the "fixer-upper" part more than the playing them? I've been surprised a few times on how nice and vibey a fixer-upper guitar sounds when I'm done with it, but often it's just another used guitar when brought back to life- though it is a guitar that I connect with more because I maybe put in new pickups or pots, or replaced some hardware and did a setup on. Sortof like Forrest's box of chocolates: "I wonder what this sounds like now"

Juliobarrera
KVRer
13 posts since 15 Aug, 2022

Post Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:10 am

I have 2 guitars, one with humbucker and the other with simple, so none of them ! For me a guitar is first of all a tool with a specific purpose, no need to collecting the same tools.

tapper mike
KVRAF
Topic Starter
6313 posts since 20 Jan, 2008

Post Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:41 pm

Juliobarrera wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:10 am I have 2 guitars, one with humbucker and the other with simple, so none of them ! For me a guitar is first of all a tool with a specific purpose, no need to collecting the same tools.
Do you use a butter knife as a screwdriver or a screwdriver as a fork. I mean they are just tools

I'm a cook. I don't use a scimitar for butterflying shrimp or a paring knife to slice prime rib. Right tool for the right job.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
33100 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:12 am

I currently have two acoustic guitars (1 steel strung, 1 nylon strung). 3 electric guitars (2 with Humbuckers, 1 with single-coils) and an electric bass guitar. I mainly play the acoustics or the bass.

Return to “Guitars”