Arturia V Collection 9 worth the money?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
agharta
KVRian
1415 posts since 10 Jan, 2018

Post Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:59 am

I have version 7 and nothing else and it's 149 for me too.
It's a good deal but not for me, more tempted by Msoundfactory at a similar price.

jdoo
KVRian
648 posts since 23 Dec, 2011

Post Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:44 am

seangm wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:02 am
tdm71 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:53 am I have V9 already and my upgrade price is $149. What the Fook is this new upgrade? Some sound banks?
Probably a mistake on the site, I have v9 and they gave the extra soundbanks for free (in Analog Lab go to store/My Banks to see the new banks).
I don’t see any free banks. Picked up VC9 in May for $150. Sounds like current deal is even better

seangm
KVRist
483 posts since 7 Dec, 2017

Post Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:21 pm

jdoo wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:44 am
seangm wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:02 am
tdm71 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:53 am I have V9 already and my upgrade price is $149. What the Fook is this new upgrade? Some sound banks?
Probably a mistake on the site, I have v9 and they gave the extra soundbanks for free (in Analog Lab go to store/My Banks to see the new banks).
I don’t see any free banks. Picked up VC9 in May for $150. Sounds like current deal is even better
Yeah I don't know, maybe contact support. When I went into Analog Lab -> Store and looked at my purchases they were there, I just had to download them.

jzero
KVRist
261 posts since 24 Jul, 2002 from Tennessee

Post Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:47 pm

I bought a cheap copy of V8 on Ebay. Turns out it was hacked copy. I've since deleted it. The synths were amazing. The quality and flexibility are excellent. You could spend months/years to master just a few of them and have great results. I'd never have time to learn them all. My personal favorites were the CZ and the Syncalvier. Pigments is pretty great too. I will get these one day. $150 for V8 sounds like a great deal.

ATS
KVRAF
7484 posts since 21 Dec, 2002 from MD USA

Post Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:55 pm

I'll upgrade at $99 :)
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ibsenproducer
KVRer
Topic Starter
19 posts since 7 Sep, 2022

Post Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:51 pm

ATS wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:55 pm I'll upgrade at $99 :)
I am a new customer my bro, it works for me, but if you already have the V Collection 8 for 150$ USD Idon't would like upgrade.

PAK
KVRian
1283 posts since 20 Feb, 2003

Post Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:28 am

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:46 amI am getting an impression that $99 upgrade is a thing of past and $149 is what we will see as their lowest offer in the future.
They might still do a $99 BF offer or wait until closer to VC10's release. $149 is quite high as an ongoing upgrade cost, and enough to purchase most (individual) competitor products. Raising it to that would result in more users who will only upgrade every few versions, and might eventually start drifting away from the bundles entirely. But, hey, if they really want to go down the NI route.. :shrug:

They did previously give those, who owned new items from VC 9, an additional $50 discount. So that's a change this time around. Whilst there will always be a percentage who impulse buy, taking that discount away will also discourage VC owners from purchasing things between VC releases. Why buy OBXA or SQ80 V if you'll be made to pay the same anyway? But, again, if they want to go down the NI route.. :shock:

Examples, like the poster who would be in the position of owning VC8 and two items from VC9 - being given a $100 price advantage over brand new users, is also not the best way to encourage brand loyalty. Whilst bringing in new users is important, so is keeping the current ones happy. I'd reckon a bit more nuance, with their upgrade offers for present users, might be merited. But, if they wanna go down the NI route.. :lol:

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
10102 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:32 am

jamcat wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:58 am Arturia are the only ones who have gotten the Solina right.
You think? I get weird clicks with mine. Doesn’t seem cpu related as it doesn’t tax cpu much and the other arturia synths have no problems. Also I think the sound is ok but there are reaktor ensembles and sampled ones (like in omnisphere) that I think sound more like hardware.
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ATS
KVRAF
7484 posts since 21 Dec, 2002 from MD USA

Post Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:21 pm

ibsenproducer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:51 pm
ATS wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:55 pm I'll upgrade at $99 :)
I am a new customer my bro, it works for me, but if you already have the V Collection 8 for 150$ USD Idon't would like upgrade.
I'm still on 6, I think my last upgrade was even cheaper than $99.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Sergievsky
KVRist
34 posts since 27 Jan, 2005 from Manila, Philippines

Post Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:40 pm

$150 from V7, I might just upgrade. I really like the fact they reworked some of the instruments. I haven't used these synths often enough though, which is the only reason for the hesitation. But, the improvements and the few added instruments is worth my support for them I think.
Raul

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
14338 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:27 pm

Stefken wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:34 amIt s a great deal. No brainer really....
Maybe if you're a collector of synth plugins but if you are buying them in the hope of getting some use out of them, it may or may not be a good deal. My experience is that it has not been worth the money and that I get no more use out of the Collection than I got out of Analog Lab, which only cost me $29. I wouldn't use their Oberheim emulations over others I already owned, I wouldn't use their ARP emulations over others I already owned and that makes me deeply skeptical of whether or not I'd use any of the other things they offer over other plugins I already own.

That said, I don't regret buying them because I got them so stupidly cheap but at $269, I wouldn't have bothered. I'd also point out that in the year or so since I got them, I haven't used any of them in any actual song. This, of course, is just my experience, your needs are likely quite different to mine. Just don't think that because it is cheap that it is automatically good value.
Septic Underground wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:41 amIt is the best bundle (for synths) out there. Highly recommended. I love the digital/hybrid vintage samplers/synths. Also the keyboard/organ plugs are great to have. The SQ80, CZ101, Synclavier, E-Mulator II, CMI, DX7, Solina, MTron, Farfisa are all freaking awesome and most of them can load OG (sysex) patches and you can drop your own samples into em aswel for great gritty sounds with BALLS
Yes, for you it sounds like a great deal but the only one of the instruments you named that I even bothered installing was the CZ101, which I haven't so much as looked at since. Interestingly, of those I have tried, the reason I don't use them is that for what we do they completely lack "BALLS". e.g. If you compare Arturia's SEM-V to GForce's SEM or bx_oberhausen, it sounds much weaker/thinner/tamer.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win11(64), UR44C | Studio One | GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Olga, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, OB-Xtreme, Thorn, Odyssey, Proclethya, SEM, VG Iron | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Septic Underground
KVRist
110 posts since 27 Dec, 2021 from Nederland

Post Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:51 pm

Yeah you're right in that the subtractive analog emuś are not the best in the world, but it is in the digital / vintage sampler era stuff to me that is good. But then again around 30 synth/keys/samplers with a broad selection as v9, is like getting a full studio full with synths, for a reasonable price. It has everything in each category.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
14338 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:07 am

Not much point if you don't like the sound of the ones you want to use, though, is it? And, as I said, I have no interest in digital emulations of ancient digital instruments, which leaves me not much at all to justify even the $149 I paid for the collection.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win11(64), UR44C | Studio One | GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Olga, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, OB-Xtreme, Thorn, Odyssey, Proclethya, SEM, VG Iron | Uno Pro, Rocket.

boombaxx
KVRist
366 posts since 10 Mar, 2005

Post Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:53 am

I moved up from 7 and before that 4. V9 is a good upgrade pity you can't auto route them to the matrixbrute or polybrute. Like the roland system 8 :borg:

Stefken
KVRAF
2107 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Post Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:18 am

BONES wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:27 pm
Stefken wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:34 amIt s a great deal. No brainer really....
Maybe if you're a collector of synth plugins but if you are buying them in the hope of getting some use out of them, it may or may not be a good deal. My experience is that it has not been worth the money and that I get no more use out of the Collection than I got out of Analog Lab, which only cost me $29. I wouldn't use their Oberheim emulations over others I already owned, I wouldn't use their ARP emulations over others I already owned and that makes me deeply skeptical of whether or not I'd use any of the other things they offer over other plugins I already own.

That said, I don't regret buying them because I got them so stupidly cheap but at $269, I wouldn't have bothered. I'd also point out that in the year or so since I got them, I haven't used any of them in any actual song. This, of course, is just my experience, your needs are likely quite different to mine. Just don't think that because it is cheap that it is automatically good value.
Septic Underground wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:41 amIt is the best bundle (for synths) out there. Highly recommended. I love the digital/hybrid vintage samplers/synths. Also the keyboard/organ plugs are great to have. The SQ80, CZ101, Synclavier, E-Mulator II, CMI, DX7, Solina, MTron, Farfisa are all freaking awesome and most of them can load OG (sysex) patches and you can drop your own samples into em aswel for great gritty sounds with BALLS
Yes, for you it sounds like a great deal but the only one of the instruments you named that I even bothered installing was the CZ101, which I haven't so much as looked at since. Interestingly, of those I have tried, the reason I don't use them is that for what we do they completely lack "BALLS". e.g. If you compare Arturia's SEM-V to GForce's SEM or bx_oberhausen, it sounds much weaker/thinner/tamer.
I take it that you are quite the oberheim buff. The synths that you mentioned are relatively old and didn t get an update like for example the cs-80 and prophet did. So yeah, it has been years, and G-force did a great job on their SEM. It will not be the first and last time that an emulation of years back gets bettered by a new emulation. I also mentioned their minimoog which is also surpassed by now.

But by it s sheer size, a price of around 150-180 euro is still a great deal. If you don t like the older ones, you can just skip them. As for the new emulations, I can quite confidently say that their MS-20 is the best around and captures the soul of the instrument. (I have the hardware).

And no, Arturia is not the best one in the ‘balls’ category. If you want balls out of the box (OMG :ud: ) you are better some place else. I use some saturation on them to give them more oumph.

Speaking of balls. Here is a nice tip if you haven t visited them yet : https://noiseengineering.us/. East beast and west pest hardware are also interesting.

A obvious advantage that the full versions give you, is that you get to experience working with a Buchla Easel, Synthi, MS-20, ... which is quite another experience than a generic interface with knobs. In the case of the MS-20 for example, you get the full experience of the patch bay, external signal processor and add-on sequencer. With preset recall and multiple instances, which you don t have on the hardware.

Return to “Instruments”