Which drum synth do you recommend

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another shout here for Microtonic.

I have pretty much every drum synth/sampler/sequencer you can get and for electronic drums nothing hits that sweet spot like Microtonic.

The fact that you have the same parameter set for every slot might seem limiting but there's an incredible depth there that's incredibly easy to access. It also brings consistency to the whole user experience.

It's like every parameter has been refined to maximise the sound potential.

Above anything it just sounds great. The Patternarium is another awesome feature and you can also get pretty decent bass sounds out of it in keyboard mode.
Last edited by kraster on Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Punch 2 kick module is very clean and precise.

martiu wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:59 am Unfiltered Audio also preparing new drum synth
That's great news, I was hoping for other devs to tackle this challenge because i see the majority still relying mostly on Microtonic. Which is great, but still.. maybe we can have better.

AudioSpillage Drumspillage is my favorite and it looks like we are getting an Apple Silicone upgrade after many years!

Lerian wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:53 am
martiu wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:59 am Unfiltered Audio also preparing new drum synth
That's great news, I was hoping for other devs to tackle this challenge because i see the majority still relying mostly on Microtonic. Which is great, but still.. maybe we can have better.
I hope they pull their thumbs out of their asses and use the modulation system from lion instead of abandoning it yet again.

ekwipt wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:56 am AudioSpillage Drumspillage is my favorite and it looks like we are getting an Apple Silicone upgrade after many years!
Yup. My favorite by a country mile.

Lerian wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:52 am Any news on this? I only see people arguing about software released 10 to 20 years ago. Nothing new, nothing to take advantage of the new computing power and the other advances of the last years.

Why nobody loves synthetic drums? I see synths released almost every month. Heck, there are 303 emulations popping up like crazy, even though few musicians are still using them.
What do you want that isn't already offered that you feel merits something new?

But to answer the question, "nobody loves synthetic drums" is obviously not just an exaggeration but just plain not true...but that said I think a lot of people have concluded that trying to tap out drum tracks on a keyboard sucks, so they either use loops, get an e-drum kit, or just real drums/a real drummer.

mixyguy2 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:04 pm What do you want that isn't already offered that you feel merits something new?
That's a really good question, I guess it could deserve a separate thread.
mixyguy2 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:04 pmBut to answer the question, "nobody loves synthetic drums" is obviously not just an exaggeration but just plain not true...but that said I think a lot of people have concluded that trying to tap out drum tracks on a keyboard sucks, so they either use loops, get an e-drum kit, or just real drums/a real drummer.
Obviously was an exaggeration from my part. Im not sure how others do it, as for myself I always have something specific in my mind when it comes to sound, so I always try to achieve that. For example, now when I'm using drumcomputer I struggle to get the kicks i want, maybe i'm not that skilled yet. On microtonic seems to be easier at first, but its somehow limited at processing so i need to use external plugins.

One thing that I value very much is to be able to go back and tweak the sounds depending on where the song is evolving to, that's why I only use midi and I value real time generated sounds.

Lerian wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:08 am On microtonic seems to be easier at first, but its somehow limited at processing so i need to use external plugins.
I see this as a “feature” as much as a limitation. The one-page synthesis engine is easy to navigate and understand what’s going on, whereas it can be quite frustrating to tweak and unpick synth presets that rely heavily on FX. The Kong drum module in Reason is quite a good compromise, where a few slots are made for very simple FX.

It’s very unlikely that the compressor built into a drum plugin would be the most appropriate compressor in one’s entire effects collection; if one goes in with the mindset that these plugins should be used with external FX then it is better not to fuss around disabling internal stuff that clutters the interface.

As discussed in the Zebra thread, it seems that some of the strongest demand for FX in synth plugins comes from preset designers who want to be able to showcase impressive “mix-ready” sounds.

imrae wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:34 am
Lerian wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:08 am On microtonic seems to be easier at first, but its somehow limited at processing so i need to use external plugins.
I see this as a “feature” as much as a limitation. The one-page synthesis engine is easy to navigate and understand what’s going on, whereas it can be quite frustrating to tweak and unpick synth presets that rely heavily on FX. The Kong drum module in Reason is quite a good compromise, where a few slots are made for very simple FX.

It’s very unlikely that the compressor built into a drum plugin would be the most appropriate compressor in one’s entire effects collection; if one goes in with the mindset that these plugins should be used with external FX then it is better not to fuss around disabling internal stuff that clutters the interface.

As discussed in the Zebra thread, it seems that some of the strongest demand for FX in synth plugins comes from preset designers who want to be able to showcase impressive “mix-ready” sounds.
I do think adding a delay would really crown Microtonic. Just because delays are great for rhythmic patterns and can also add to the synthesis aspect.

Outside of that I agree that the simplicity and consistency of microtonic is its strongest suit.

I'm still amazed at the range of sounds you can get given the limited amount of controls.

It is one of the best designed plugins I've ever come across.

Return to “Instruments”