Starter bass guitar?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

2DaT wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:12 am
CapnLockheed wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:05 pm It's not soley about thing s like taste and budget. A full size bass whether a genuine Fender Jazz or Precision or any other full size bass can difficult for a beginner. Any one with small hands, no matter their age, may find a short scale bass like a Mustang or Jaguar/Jazzmaster might be a better starting point. I've played guitar for years but I find a short scale mor comfortable for me.
To play bass, all you need is to reach 2 frets.
dont tell that to that guy :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqhNo6FJrek

Billy Sheehan, he spent a day and did a clinic at a music store I worked at on Nashua NH in 2000 and I was a fan of his first band Talas n the 80's, stood right at his feet in probably 83 at a club called The Channel in Boston. He spent the entire day there with us and the clinic was at night and a large NH radio station was there remote, it was a fun day. Somewhere in this house I have the first Talas album with his signature I got that day (vinyl of course) and tucked in it is a receipt from that day, we had a used Apex Bass Pre-Amp (I'm pretty sure it was Apex, that was 20 years ago and I am 20 years older which is 20+20 in my mind :hihi: ). It was his thing, they didnt make them anymore, we had one in a rack of used gear and he tested it and bought it (that chain was all about used gear). After the clinic a local unknown guitar player (actually the boyfriend of the chain owner's daughter who did promotions for the chain) played a few songs, one was Voodoo Chile and it was pretty good. He had that same Yamaha Bass, he talked about it at length.

That day was also cool because I met the DJ from the radio station and he took my CD...a few weeks later (April 1st 2000 to be precise :hihi: ) one of my songs got played on the radio, that was a first for me and it got played more which surprised me it was actually requested I was told but likely had more to do with the dj.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:25 am
You don't need a lot of reach to play that. And frets are closer together in the upper register.

You DO need reach to play complicated chords on guitar though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JYUxacLUzc

http://sx-guitar.com/index.php/Products ... ies/pid/25

as a vintage p-bass snob, i've played a couple of these in the past and found them to be way better than expected, playable and feeling close enough to my classics to consider as road beater options. prices seem to be a bit higher (the "Green-Day" model was ~$120 about 5-6 years ago). I'd pick these over the Squires but ymmv will most certainly be the case as you get what you pay for. just might get lucky sometimes...

Ibanez TMB 100 is an excellent beginner bass, and they have a nice offset style. I had one as a backup for a couple of years. My only complaint is the neck is a bit chunky for my small hands. $250

2DaT wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:24 am
Hink wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:25 am
You don't need a lot of reach to play that. And frets are closer together in the upper register.

You DO need reach to play complicated chords on guitar though.
you need reach to play some barred blues bars :shrug: some chords that seem complicated are not, they might be in the particular tuning you are in but not all are played the same tuning. Sure you can do it with reach but why not simply learn a new tuning and see where it takes you?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Any opinions on the yamaha bb235 (5 string)? Im planning to get that as my first bass

jtsterays wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:46 pm Any opinions on the yamaha bb235 (5 string)? Im planning to get that as my first bass
Anything Yamaha is usually decent, but can be a thad boring. Not much wrong to be expected, solely based on their reputation.

Do try out before you buy, as usual...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:58 pm
jtsterays wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:46 pm Any opinions on the yamaha bb235 (5 string)? Im planning to get that as my first bass
Anything Yamaha is usually decent, but can be a thad boring. Not much wrong to be expected, solely based on their reputation.

Do try out before you buy, as usual...
I've not been in music retail since the 90s, but back then I'd always steer kids to the Yamaha stuff. Seemed like decent no-nonsense instruments for a good price.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I had a Yamaha RBX260 for the last 20 years. What started as a low end instrument to perform bass when a bass player wasn't available turned into a much used instrument over two decades. Off the back of that experience I just upgraded to a TRBX505. Huge upgrade and I love it. But BASSically ( :roll: ) my point is, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Yamaha, even a cheapy.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Edit : On second thoughts, deleted.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:33 am
I think a 5 is a bit harder to learn for a beginner as it's one more string to mute. Why a 5 to begin with?

(I understand the general reason for playing a 5 but even then I've not personally found a pressing need so far. If I ever do get one it'll be a multi scale one)
Well, it's a little bit harder for beginner, but the tradeoff is well worth it. Extra range comes handy in modern music. And you can play same notes higher up the neck which is actually easier.

Muting in general will be problematic for beginner, 4 or 5 strings - doesn't matter much.

Might as well start on 5 string.

I picked up an Epiphone Thunderbird for £100 second-hand as a first bass. Couldn't be happier with it ... altho' finding a stand that works with it took a while ;)

epiphone_thunderbird_2.jpg

epiphone_thunderbird.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195362079768 ... SwRUhjKZ41

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175429784854 ... SwGK1i-WgT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

That seems like an absolute steal. Nice one!

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:27 am That seems like an absolute steal. Nice one!
Yeah thanks. The guy even delivered it to me :wheee:

^ Love the shape as an old UFO fan, but imagine the neck dive is brutal..?
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Return to “Guitars”