The Studio Log - What Did You Do In The Studio

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sat down to play with a modular technique someone had posted about, came up with a bunch of fun variations, wound up recording a track that is going to be the first one for the next album.

And I have some looped bits I recorded a couple weeks ago that will make a good start for a second track that it transitions into.

I feel like a dry spell has ended.

Got the clone of MI Grids (Valley Topograph) in VCV Rack to play my Rytm's drums and mapped all the controls to faders on my faderbank. It's kind of cool, not sure if I'll actually use it for anything I'll record, but I like just being able to set it up and it working.
topograph-to-Rytm50.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Continuing my "record a song a day" momentum.

At least getting down a structure daily, then will listen to the current cuts, pick the best and complete them.

I am being more critical then usual so many go in the trash....

Do have some keepers...... :party: :tu:

Rearranged modules, set up Afterneath and Inertia in the Pod60 with a USB battery. That works fine. I was awkwardly chaining cables with Stackables to get enough length, but then realized, I could simply put the Pod on the other side and use the 1U patch panel that I'd already set up for the Minibrute. :dog:

Don't know why I'd not tried this before. Set up the MI Grids clone in VCV Rack to drive three hosted instances of Chromaphone 3 each with different instances of u-he MFM 2. Leads to some very interesting beats.

Are you safe?

Yesterday, recorded a cool thing. It was a great take except that it had lots of places where the modulation on Minibrute was a bit too much and I had unpleasant buzzes. It seemed kind of subtle at first the more I listened to it the more it nagged at me.

I did some stuff to try to minimize it -- ZPlane Peel to isolate the ugly band with Velvet Noise and/or Goodhertz Lossy to break up the texture and smooth it out, tried a bunch of other stuff, but in order to fully get rid of it I had to filter too much. Spent more time fighting with it than I did recording the track in the first place.

But tonight I hit on the solution. A combination of the above plus masking it with some subtle noise and/or a filtered swarm drone. It not only covered the buzzes but it made the track better overall. It felt a bit less natural and was less fun penciling that in using host automation than just controlling it with a fader live, but I can't argue with the results.

The way I'm making this album, each track has some element of previous ones in it. So the swarm drone is probably going to be one of the parts that is carried forward.

Another tune tracked and mixed....

viewtopic.php?t=587266

Acoustic folkie shite ripped off mebbe with a little nod to Ver Zep.

Didn't do anything over last half a year :help:

But, yesterday I made plans and took some notes, now installed Ableton Live 11.2 update.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

The little eurorack Juno style DCO from Soundforce turned up so I've been playing with that.

# It's a smooth oscillator, smooth oscillator... #

Sorry Sade.

Are you safe?

Made a half hour noise with some fun modules. Pachinko into a quad quantiser handling voices each with their own filters and effects can be a glorious noise. U-he MFM may have now displaced Other Desert Cities as my delay of choice, you can really go to town on the source sounds.

Are you safe?

Recorded some tambourine. My arm. :cry:

Well, I was supposed to be getting ready to track vocals this weekend but I can't run the tube channels while our refrigerator is on the same circuit (since we moved the kitchen to what is normally my studio's live room).
I mean, it's probably not a big deal, I can still use the Neve channels... but for vocals, I really prefer using the UA 610 as the pre and Retro Revolver as the compressor, during tracking.
I'm gonna see if I can get the fridge hooked up to an outlet in the garage but Brit would prefer that I don't run an extension cord through the house.

That's a textbook outside the box issue!
I've been mainly monkeying about with external synths and units recently, but the Ableton 11.2 update got me not only installing it, but finally getting around to installing all the various packs that come with Suite. Just pissing about for half an hour with Melodic Probability, Flexible Rhythms, a drum pack, a couple of instances of Pigments, EZ Bass, MFM 2 and IHYN2 led me to something that actually got me dancing. :)

Are you safe?

Korg Wavestate arrived. I'd feared updating the firmware and getting the MIDI USB and editor/librarian software working was going to be a nightmare like I had with the Minilogue XD and the installer guide didn't lead me to believe any different as it was about four pages (the Mac one looked like a paragraph), but it all went very smoothly. Pretty impressed with it. The keyboard isn't as bad as I'd been led to believe either. The only negative now is it's a bit more square shaped than my other synths so doesn't look like it will fit on any of my stands without a fair bit of mucking about.

Are you safe?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”