Contest: October "Gossip" + Result

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Free month mabey?

Result last page
Last edited by Hellfog on Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The month of "Let's stay in the comfort zone", that means. Would it be good to add one rule, to compose music of any genre and style on a given poem? And if somebody thinks that singing is just too much to ask, then let there be talking, yelling, vocoder, rap, word mangling, cuts from popular songs, I know you have the imagination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vekx5rYaijY

A whole poem seems much.
5 words or more?

A poem is not everyone's cup of tea, maybe a quote, line from a movie, commercial, or just anything you can imagine.

You two must be thinking that I expect people to write the poem. Not so. Here is a short one that rhymes well.

What Are Heavy?

What are heavy? Sea-sand and sorrow;
What are brief? Today and tomorrow;
What are frail? Spring blossoms and youth;
What are deep? The ocean and truth.

Christina Rossetti (1830 -1894)

harvon wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:32 pm You two must be thinking that I expect people to write the poem. Not so. Here is a short one that rhymes well.

What Are Heavy?

What are heavy? Sea-sand and sorrow;
What are brief? Today and tomorrow;
What are frail? Spring blossoms and youth;
What are deep? The ocean and truth.

Christina Rossetti (1830 -1894)
You read about how hard it is to set existing text to music.
A poem have an inbuilt rhytm. That forces you to find a suitable rhytm for the song. That's not easy.
It's easier to put in single words or short sentences into an existing a song.

Saffran wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:31 am A poem have an inbuilt rhytm. That forces you to find a suitable rhytm for the song. That's not easy.
To me that is easy, and I thought easy for everybody to do.

Thank you, I learned something.

harvon wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:08 am
Saffran wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:31 am A poem have an inbuilt rhytm. That forces you to find a suitable rhytm for the song. That's not easy.
To me that is easy, and I thought easy for everybody to do.

Thank you, I learned something.
harvon. You shouldn't feel awkward. :hug:
I think we should set the bar really low to tempt everyone visiting KVR to give it a try.
Europe is stressed out with the war and cost of living that rises extremely high. It steals time. But something that only take a day or four could be fine.
You should go for it and show us your skills and do your poem. No harm in that. :tu:

I guess some of the users on KVR is similar to me.
I don't know music theory. I've never studied music or instrument. I'm selftought and still learning.
I've only used a daw and plugins for 4 years. Started when Cakewalk became free.
I would not be able to tell if a song is a polka without any clues. A tuba and an accordion is a tell for me. If i would listen to the contest songs without knowing what it should be i would probably fail to recognize it as polka.
But i'm learning and get a little bit better every month. :arrow: I'm a pensioner and lazy so it's slow learning. :tu:

How about any style but the theme is war - depressing I know but a powerful subject, particularly for protests. Could be a soundscape of the battlefield horror or a poem sung in Bob Dylan stylee.

Yea, metal thumping and "die" pumping for 3 minutes.
That would throw away the bar. :D

A KISS theme please. I really can't manage anything else at the moment :(
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

So far this will get us:
The band War and the band KISS represents hard rock. So, a hard rock poem then? 8)

folderol wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:36 pm A KISS theme please. I really can't manage anything else at the moment :(
Ummm not quite what I was thinking of.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

The original suggestion of a free month is probably the best.

Everyone can do their thing - poem, war, KISS or whatever. :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”