How many amp model sims/ IRs do you actually use?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Consider this an inane ramble post, but I'm left a little conflicted after realizing how much cleaner my old 90's digital POD sounds compared to a few of the amp simulator VST plugins I've bought over time. And I just realized today after benchmarking that even the original 90's POD is oversampled a ton, even beyond what some of my plugins support. Now I'm just left bewildered. :lol:

ChristopherWD wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:38 am Consider this an inane ramble post, but I'm left a little conflicted after realizing how much cleaner my old 90's digital POD sounds compared to a few of the amp simulator VST plugins I've bought over time. And I just realized today after benchmarking that even the original 90's POD is oversampled a ton, even beyond what some of my plugins support. Now I'm just left bewildered. :lol:
For me, hardware trumps software. Even external stomp boxes sound cleaner than emulations.

I recently tried a TS 808 plug-in against a Joyo pedal clone, while I liked the emulation, it was not as clear as the pedal. I find the same with Acustica's sampled plug-ins against the algorithmic equivalents.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

I basically use fuse audio f-59, and a wierd chain kelvin>overtone geq>boogex i did myself.
I can get 90% where i wanna with these two

For bass stuff, I'm happy with the ones included in Jam Origin MIDI Bass. To me the tube amp and "cabinet #3" sound better than any combination of stuff I can throw together with Guitar Rig, or the amp sim VSTs I have tried.

...of course I often wind up slapping on a lot of other effects and not really sounding like a bass guitar anyway, so I might not be the one to ask.

Axe FX with Ownhammer IRs (Mesa). Even though VST latency is reasonably low with plugins, I found having a separate unit cuts down on any latency issues as much as possible. If you're shredding fast it becomes a significant factor IMO.

AXP Amps
Guitar Rig 4 Essentials
Amplitube 5 SE

I've whittled down ML Sound Labs offerings down to 3, ML800, Plexi and Flagship, with ML800 being the winner. Currently demoing the ML800, even though the trial is crippled and cut outs make it difficult to evaluate.

There's also a waste of valuable screen space. I can't understand having huge amp housings and small dials. Binoculars required?

My mock up GUI. (Plexi) Similar to Blue Cat's Free Amp
MOCK.png
Blue Cat's Free Amp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm not sure I'll use anything outside of TONEX with any great regularity from now on. I've created a bunch of captures of my own amps and pedals and it's just killer. Might use Mixwave Benson or Neural Plini or Tone King if I need something else but even then I'm not so sure. Love TONEX.

I mostly use eXe's ClassicF and ClassicM, but Swanky amp, U530 CM, and Proteus are also top notch and get love. They all feel right and sound right, and the prices are certainly right. For cabs, it's almost only Mercuriall: their Cab and the speaker sims from U530 respond and sound the way their should; IIRC they use Volterra tech to be more accurate and responsive. The free stuff is so good that I feel no need for payware.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

I just use a Kuassa for scratch tracking. I’m a tube amp purist. The Kuassa has nice features and a decent Marshall-esgue tone.

I have a Helix LT and have only started discovering the joys of USB Ch7. When using Helix as the audio interface, that’s the channel that comes up as clean and uneffected. I can record it muted in the background and use it later with TH-U, Helix Native, Amp room, or whatever from there. It’s funny how each of the many softwares I have sound just different enough to justify owning several.

W23 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:16 pm I have a Helix LT and have only started discovering the joys of USB Ch7. When using Helix as the audio interface, that’s the channel that comes up as clean and uneffected. I can record it muted in the background and use it later with TH-U, Helix Native, Amp room, or whatever from there. It’s funny how each of the many softwares I have sound just different enough to justify owning several.
Amp Room is currently on sale, I couldn't resist.
€43 + extra 10% off with BLACKWEEKEXTRA
https://www.softube.com/amp-room

More because Tonex.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

By far my favourite amp sim has been the PA Fuchs Overdrive Supreme. I use helix for pedals/reverb but nothing has given me a dumble-style clean tone that I have enjoyed more. Lovely overdrive in it too.

I have quite a lot of amp sims
Neural DSP - Amplitube - S-Gear - Brainworx -
Audio Assault - Nembrini - Softube
They are all nice
but after I had demoed and bought Helix Native,
it became my go to amp sim and effect plugin

Fav IRs
Ownhammer Workhorse V30 + H25
Celestion G12M_Creamback_Open_2x12
YA MES 212 V30
YA FTWN 212 D120

Return to “Guitars”