Prophet VS or similar

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Weasel-Boy wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:44 am I have owned a Prophet VS from when it was first released. It’s in very good shape. When Arturia first brought out their version (saddled to a P5) I did a lot of comparisons between the real deal and the Arturia.

If you play between C1 and C2, Arturia’s samples almost hold up with the filter wide open, but you can hear a bit of a low end deficiency. It’s when you start heading up above C2 that the Arturia completely falls apart. All kinds of aliasing and harmonic content that the hardware unit doesn’t exhibit. As you go up on the hardware, the response is quite smooth and evenly toned.

The filter isn’t much better. You can hear the diff sweeping with some res. The ADSR rise and release times do not match the hardware.

One last observation: Most of the VS’s parameters are limited to 100 steps (0-99). This resolution has a unique quality as you change a parameter with its data slider or knobs and how it responded to external MIDI controllers. Arturia chose to completely ignore the parameter range resolution. It makes a difference. It also makes it impossible to match real VS settings to the software.

In short, and in my opinion, the original Arturia VS is utter crap and should be avoided.

I can’t speak to the newest version because I don’t own it. But if I do wind up getting it, I’ll do another comparison test and post it.
I've never played a real Prophet VS so I have no idea about Arturia authenticity, however I've read threads of people comparing the new version to the hardware and all I've heard is that it is very authentic now. I've also listened to many comparisons of the two and fro mthe examles I've heard the hardware and Arturia one sound they they match quite well. You should compare the demo of the new one.

Weasel-Boy wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:44 am I have owned a Prophet VS from when it was first released. It’s in very good shape. When Arturia first brought out their version (saddled to a P5) I did a lot of comparisons between the real deal and the Arturia.

If you play between C1 and C2, Arturia’s samples almost hold up with the filter wide open, but you can hear a bit of a low end deficiency. It’s when you start heading up above C2 that the Arturia completely falls apart. All kinds of aliasing and harmonic content that the hardware unit doesn’t exhibit. As you go up on the hardware, the response is quite smooth and evenly toned.

The filter isn’t much better. You can hear the diff sweeping with some res. The ADSR rise and release times do not match the hardware.

One last observation: Most of the VS’s parameters are limited to 100 steps (0-99). This resolution has a unique quality as you change a parameter with its data slider or knobs and how it responded to external MIDI controllers. Arturia chose to completely ignore the parameter range resolution. It makes a difference. It also makes it impossible to match real VS settings to the software.

In short, and in my opinion, the original Arturia VS is utter crap and should be avoided.

I can’t speak to the newest version because I don’t own it. But if I do wind up getting it, I’ll do another comparison test and post it.
That may be true, but I dont and am never going to own the original. I think it sounds fine, even if it isn't authentic.

ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:13 am That may be true, but I dont and am never going to own the original. I think it sounds fine, even if it isn't authentic.
I get it... and what you say is perfectly understandable.

The problem (to me) is that this is exactly the premise Arturia depends on to make sales: that most people haven't played with the original hardware, have no idea if it's authentic or not, and don't really mind if it isn't a 100% accurate emulation.

Again, my comments only addressed the very first version they released. They very well may have improved the latest version. I sure hope so. One thing in their favor with the new one: they broke it away from the Prophet 5, which horribly crippled the redraw speed of the GUI and mashed all the VS and P5 presets together.
On a number of Macs

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:57 pm

I've never played a real Prophet VS so I have no idea about Arturia authenticity, however I've read threads of people comparing the new version to the hardware and all I've heard is that it is very authentic now. I've also listened to many comparisons of the two and fro mthe examles I've heard the hardware and Arturia one sound they they match quite well. You should compare the demo of the new one.
Charlie Clouser from NIN posted some comparisons on GearSpace of his VS to Arturia’s new plugin and it was super close.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Ok well, I'd rather not get sidetracked into a softsynth vs original debate for the reasons I mentioned. THose criticisms may indeed be valid, but for me I'm only interested in sofsynths and if this, or any other I use, isn't accurate it still sounds good for making music.

I'm more interested in acquiring the new one, unfortunately an upgrade doesn't seem to be on offer. I guess that's not surprising given the V3 version was 2 synths in one.

Could also check out the korg wavestation or things like Rob paper vector or blue.

I forgot I posted this and have been looking for the VS on the sales page.

I've tried the Vecto demo (rob papen) and it seems pretty good.

Does anyone know how it compares to the VS in terms of emulation. It's my undestanding Vecto isn't meant to emulate it, but for me I like using vst's that emulate. (I realise that may not be logical but it's what I like). Does it do more/less?

Return to “Instruments”