Camel Audio Alchemy is gone forever. Now what?!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't know about that, that isn't the case for me but maybe it got corrupted? The way the keyfile works didn't change as far as I can recall they used that system since Alchemy came out or maybe earlier even - for myself I've got them all stored on an external drive and up till Big Sur just installed the plugin but didn't change the keyfiles or banks going back many years, well before them closing, and didn't need to change any of them.

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
.... ...

It does

I just installed Logic actually.
A friend migrated from Cubase years ago, and encourages me to give it a go.
I will transfer a project from Cubase using MIDI files and presets where possible,
and see if there is any marked performance improvement using AU plugins.
I don't know if i can be arsed to learn a new DAW though.

I don't even have the installers for Alchemy with me, left my old hard drive overseas.
I might be wrong, but i'm pretty sure my keyfile had some kind of trouble, you might
be right, it may have been corrupted. Such is life :P
Is anyone using it on Monterey? Outside of Logic i mean?
Surely there must be a shit-ton of updates for it by now though!?

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
.... ...

As I recall (which can be totally wrong, it's been so long), the last downloads stripped out most of your personal data. All that is left is your name. All the other data is gone. For example, mine says "@domain.com" for my email. I thought right at the end they said they would remove most of the personal info. This may have required downloading new libraries to get updated key files.

I also feel the final installers were nicer looking and they added the option to install without requiring online authorization.

Synthack wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:58 pm I think you could use another tool to send midi into logic from another daw (Like Rewire) and control alchemy and then get the sound sent back to your DAW of choice. No idea thought as I have not tried this before.
This tool :
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... Connector/

Hey, just wanted to let you know that I just successfully installed Alchemy again on my WIN10 computer without any issues. It opened immediately in Studio One 5.5, scanned all the presets and soundbanks, showing my Username and didnt even ask for anything. Makes me so happy, I love Alchemy, especially the Choir Sounds and Pads and thought I could never use it again. Wish I would have bought all soundbanks back in the day, especially the gorgous Luftrum ones.

I have it installed on both Win7 & Win10 and it works well also.
However, it will always have the "double presets" and "show other available presets" bug they introduced before abandoning it. It also has a small annoying bug that triggers from a continuous damper pedal meaning I can only use controllers with a momentary on/off switch. My work around for that is to exclusively use my Crumar Mojo pedals to play it.
One thing that has just developed though is that Bitwig fails to load a saved preset by track and reloading it requires remembering which preset was originally used.

Still has a specific character to it that I haven't found replaceable by similar engines. (HALion is closest though.)

Is it possible to buy preset banks for Alchemy anywhere?
I had a few one but lost them so....need new food for it.

classic wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:31 pm Is it possible to buy preset banks for Alchemy anywhere?
I had a few one but lost them so....need new food for it.
Off the top of my head there's Patchpool and Yuroun. But you may need to contact them first for the previous versions.

Just a reminder that Alchemy can load .sfz files.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

@BBFG: no double preset issues so far, nor have I any damper pedal issues. Played around with it all evening and yes, it still has a specific character that no other Synth I own comes close. Lots of high quality presets with character and high usability. Also love the variation buttons and the X/Y pads and always wondered why other synths/companies havent copied that. And thanks for the preset bank tips. Will definitely check it out!
@Teksonik: Yes, thanks, very important reminder!!!

I have not run into duplicates or the damper issue (I use a Yamaha FC3 pedal).

Yuroun is now under the name Seva Randeep Singh. You can buy all his Alchemy libraries in a single bundle here: https://www.sevarandeep.nl/sound_banks/legacy/

Lots of wonderful sounds.

If you are looking for some extras from Luftrum, I seem to recall getting a small Luftrum sampler off Rekkerd, but that was many, many years ago.

Basspartout wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:58 pm @BBFG: no double preset issues so far, nor have I any damper pedal issues. Played around with it all evening and yes, it still has a specific character that no other Synth I own comes close. Lots of high quality presets with character and high usability. Also love the variation buttons and the X/Y pads and always wondered why other synths/companies havent copied that. And thanks for the preset bank tips. Will definitely check it out!
@Teksonik: Yes, thanks, very important reminder!!!
Is your damper continuous or momentary? The latter works fine, the former triggers on but then stays on. Most people only use the momentary. And Camel was aware of the double preset problem but admitted they didn't have the time to correct it before the deadline Apple set in the takeover.
Do you have all the Camel libraries?
I think it only happens when they are all there? I've actually learned to live with that though.
The concerning issue that happens now is that new versions of DAWs can't always save the presets by track.
I'll have to start writing info for each project I use it in I guess...

Return to “Instruments”