How to make Cubase12 need a dongle

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pleased I didn't throw away the good old trusty dongle after upgrading to 12. I got around to copying over the Loopmash files from 10.5 to get Loopmash working in 12 (my favorite tool in Cubase...was what stopped me upgrading initially). I haven't had a chance yet to fully dive in and check everything works, but a quick play got it doing its Loopmash thing. But you have to use the dongle. A command came up about no permission and need USB license. Dunno why I was surprised, as apparently dongle code was heavily written into all of Cubase, so it must be in the plugins too.

Haven't tried it with Retrologue etc yet - though probably won't copy them over anyway. TBH I never used it, or the other synths in Cubase (not that good IMO). So yeah, I now have a version of C12 that uses a dongle :hihi:
Last edited by kritikon on Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cubase 12 doesnt use the eLicenser at all, it has no idea it even exists. Its your old plugins that still do. Same thing as if you had iLok plugins that use a dongle. Remove the plugins and you wont ever be asked for it again.

But that's what he said :-/
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Retrologue, PadShop, HALiON SE, GrooveAgent SE had eLicenser less update.
On the other hand, we still need dongle for Loopmash and some other legacy stuff.
We can't really get rid of the dongles.

Yeah, I'll be holding onto mine - I still love Loopmash. Though I must admit I was checking out the sampler track and it's definitely been improved since 10.5. Looks like it was upgraded in C11. Looks like a proper sampler now, so I guess if I get into that, then I won't need Loopmash. Before, I never quite understood the point of the sampler track as it was so limited, but now I get it. It obvs just took a wee while for Steinberg to mature it into something user friendly and properly usable.

As for the dongle - that freebie they gave away - Amped Elektra - I couldn't get it to work at all. Ended up just deleting the stupid thing. Turns out if you have a dongle, the license went directly to that. So for the like of me, I could only use it with the dongle. You couldn't make it up. :dog:

kritikon wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:17 am Turns out if you have a dongle, the license went directly to that. So for the like of me, I could only use it with the dongle. You couldn't make it up. :dog:
Once on the dongle you can never get it off either... Which is a nice surprise! :)

At least it's in your account now, and it will move to Steinberg Licensing..... Eventually...... sometime..... honest! ;)

kritikon wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:17 am As for the dongle - that freebie they gave away - Amped Elektra - I couldn't get it to work at all. Ended up just deleting the stupid thing. Turns out if you have a dongle, the license went directly to that. So for the like of me, I could only use it with the dongle. You couldn't make it up. :dog:
Mine gave me the option to either install it on the dongle or on the computer...
Went with the computer option so I dont have to keep the dongle plugged in anymore (once Wavelab moved over, only thing left on it is Cubase 11).

Just when everyone is celebrating getting rid of their dongle, now steinberg wants to replace it with a mobile phone as a dongle.
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/license- ... ked/810112
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

I didn't realise that Steinberg had an option for two-factor authentication. After reading that thread, I've just enabled it.

Kypresso wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:14 am Just when everyone is celebrating getting rid of their dongle, now steinberg wants to replace it with a mobile phone as a dongle.
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/license- ... ked/810112
Not sure what you mean. That's an optional measure for more safety.

Kypresso wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:14 am Just when everyone is celebrating getting rid of their dongle, now steinberg wants to replace it with a mobile phone as a dongle.
That's not really what's being said there, but the resetting of licenses is truly embarrassing to watch. I cringe seeing users pleading on a message board to be able to reset licenses to access their software.

To think that this has been going on since April, too. It looks so unprofessional.

I get the idea behind 2FA if I'm on a pc/laptop, so I might activate it for Steinberg, but it seems dumb to me especially for phones. How the f**k can I authenticate with a second device if I'm out somewhere on my phone and trying to log in on my phone? Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick, but it seems I'd have to have 2 phones. I never activated it for Google or MS...probably the ones I most need it for, for exactly that reason. I'm out on my own, want to log into Google to get some email or passwords or whatever...how can I use 2step? If I can get the code to come to the phone I'm actually using, then by definition it's not 2FA and it's not secure.
Last edited by kritikon on Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Again... you don't have to do it. ;)

You guys just love creating problems from nothing. :lol:

No, I know I don't have to, but all the advice and push from Google, MS and anyone to do with security is to use it to make your data safe. I'm constantly advised it's not safe without it. But it just doesn't seem to be practical or usable unless you have 2 devices you can actually access.

Yeah.

Regarding safety: We authorized our DAW's for decades now without using 2FA. I don't seen an issue. It's much more important to choose a decent password. People aren't "hacked", as they always say. Passwords and login credentials are snooped out.

I wouldn't do without 2FA on my bank account, Microsoft or Google accounts. But, for a DAW...

It's not very likely that villains are even after this kind of stuff.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”