sound quality in VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi i have "air mini grand piano" plugin when i open it separately it sounds deep and detailed but when i open it like VST in DAW it sounds muddy like high frequencies are cut off from 18-20 kilohertz . I have Windows 10 and the plugin also has a sample rate of 44100 and DAW too

Check your audio output device, in both your (unknown to us) DAW and in the standalone of the plugin.

chk071 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:06 am Check your audio output device, in both your (unknown to us) DAW and in the standalone of the plugin.
I'm using Fl studio 20. audio output "Fl studio asio" yes, it seems that the problem was that I usually leave the buffer at 256smp so that there would be no delays in the midi keyboard. Thanks

DarkMP220 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:56 am
chk071 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:06 am Check your audio output device, in both your (unknown to us) DAW and in the standalone of the plugin.
I'm using Fl studio 20. audio output "Fl studio asio"
Are you using the internal sound card of your computer?

Changing the buffer size shouldn't really result in inferior sound quality, rather in crackles and pops when your CPU reaches its limit (when you set a low buffer size, so that the CPU has to work harder).

Check sample rate, is the stand-alone running higher than the VST?
AudioRealism
www.audiorealism.se

FL Studio has a limiter enabled by default on master. Maybe it's that?

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:29 pm FL Studio has a limiter enabled by default on master. Maybe it's that?
Limiter on volume or on quality? :hihi:

To the OP: I've done it a million times. Make sure all the settings are the same, even output levels. Even a few dB dip in volume can greatly influence your perception of the sound quality.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:29 pm FL Studio has a limiter enabled by default on master. Maybe it's that?
I always hated that myself
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Back when I used to use FLStudio when getting into production, me and that limiter never got along. At the time it was a lot of inexperienced on my part, but I always remember never being able to dial that limiter in without it causing it to mess up my material.

Kept me away from limiters and even compressors for a looong while... :hihi:

DarkMP220 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:55 am hi i have "air mini grand piano" plugin when i open it separately it sounds deep and detailed but when i open it like VST in DAW it sounds muddy like high frequencies are cut off from 18-20 kilohertz . I have Windows 10 and the plugin also has a sample rate of 44100 and DAW too
18-20Khz ? I doubt you can even hear in that range, most humans past 20 years don't listen past 15khz. C7 is at 2 Khz for reference.

So maybe open an eq and see where in the spectrum the notes are before trying to guess where are you hearing this muddinees
dedication to flying

chk071 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:59 am
DarkMP220 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:56 am
I'm using Fl studio 20. audio output "Fl studio asio"
Are you using the internal sound card of your computer?

Changing the buffer size shouldn't really result in inferior sound quality, rather in crackles and pops when your CPU reaches its limit (when you set a low buffer size, so that the CPU has to work harder).
Yes you are right. I experimented with sample rate but no change.

no, it's not the problem. I have it always on. I take it off when it comes to processing the master

Mike Janney wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:34 am Check sample rate, is the stand-alone running higher than the VST?
Yes, I checked, even raised to 192000

ATS wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:32 pm
I always hated that myself
The limiter doesn't really do anything. it just responds to 0 dB.

Return to “Instruments”