IK Multimedia Charging To Re Download Samples Feels Cheap

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah, IK was the first company I ever bought music software from. But I stopped. Same reasons everyone has already posted on this thread. Great tools; bad download process, installation nightmares. Nope

They charge for transfer of SW components (editor) of HW synths right?

Deleted all my IK, great products but shitty attitude IMO.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Transfer fees for all products. Dings the resale value of a product by $19.99 for the IK license transfer credit.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

revvy wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:54 am They charge for transfer of SW components (editor) of HW synths right?
For the UNO they do.
I think they also charge for a foot controller just to get access to firmware updates.
Sleazy company.

Well I never.
I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that they also charge for their products as well, the gall of them.
I mean if it's true, what is the world coming to?
Last edited by jinotsuh on Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Say NO to CLAP!

Woosh
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

They don't charge for that as well do they?

God damn
Say NO to CLAP!

For me it comes down to how much am I likely to pay for the product over the lifetime of use. When and how any extra fees are incurred are largely irrelevant, provided that I know about the fee structure up front. I'm not going to get emotional about whether the extra money was charged up front, or 2 years later. I feel like some people would be fine if they paid more for their products over the lifetime of use but the cost was up front, than paying less but having possible fees that come later. That's weird to me personally, but everyone reacts differently or is in a different place.

revvy wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:54 am They charge for transfer of SW components (editor) of HW synths right?

It's even worse. I'd like to pay for the transfer but they don't let me. I bought a Uno Synth Pro second hand. The previous owner included the card with the serial number to me. He said he never registered the synth, he tried but it never worked, always error. So, I tried my luck. The error is that the device is already registered to another account. So, I contacted the owner if he could trigger the transfer of the synth to my account but he can't since the synth isn't registered to his account, too. He sent me a screenshot.

Alright, no problem I thought. I wrote a lengthy email including all the evidence:
  • a photo of the device's card with the serial number
  • a PDF of the original invoice where the previous owner bought the synth
  • a screenshot of the empty "registered products" section in the IKM account of the previous owner
  • a screenshot of the eBay transaction
This is how they reacted:

Unfortunately, as this product was purchased second hand we cannot offer you a new serial number. However, the original owner can purchase a License Transfer Credit to unlock this for you.

This is due to the manner in which it was purchased.
Secondhand purchases cannot have a new serial number provided.

Apologies for the inconvenience in that regard; However these are just protocols that we must follow as well.

My last hope is that the previous owner could receive a new serial

krazzmann wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:42 am

It's even worse. I'd like to pay for the transfer but they don't let me. I bought a Uno Synth Pro second hand. The previous owner included the card with the serial number to me. He said he never registered the synth, he tried but it never worked, always error. So, I tried my luck. The error is that the device is already registered to another account. So, I contacted the owner if he could trigger the transfer of the synth to my account but he can't since the synth isn't registered to his account, too. He sent me a screenshot.

Alright, no problem I thought. I wrote a lengthy email including all the evidence:
  • a photo of the device's card with the serial number
  • a PDF of the original invoice where the previous owner bought the synth
  • a screenshot of the empty "registered products" section in the IKM account of the previous owner
  • a screenshot of the eBay transaction
This is how they reacted:

Unfortunately, as this product was purchased second hand we cannot offer you a new serial number. However, the original owner can purchase a License Transfer Credit to unlock this for you.

This is due to the manner in which it was purchased.
Secondhand purchases cannot have a new serial number provided.

Apologies for the inconvenience in that regard; However these are just protocols that we must follow as well.

My last hope is that the previous owner could receive a new serial
Speechless.

Their stuff is cheap and it seems so are they.

I have a lot of IK products.
After downloading the library I save the .zip file on the hard disk (currently 300gb). So I don't have to pay the commission.
Their product licenses are insured for 30 years.
I like the effects of Ik but the virtual instruments are too heavy and sometimes they give me bugs.

This is why I avoid buying MPC packs from Akai. You only have download access for a short period. I understand that bandwidth does cost the host company, but I prefer the distribution methods many companies use that keeps a count and allows you 3 to 5 downloads of your product.
All I need to be happy is one more VSTi.

Rabid wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:44 pm I prefer the distribution methods many companies use that keeps a count and allows you 3 to 5 downloads of your product.
I think that is the best way to go, if providing unlimited downloads is otherwise an issue.

Most people probably won't need to download more than once or twice, so having several remaining as an option should be sufficient.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

If bandwidth is really an issue, just encrypt them and let us seed them, IK! Windows updates use torrent technology now, even.

They are the only company I know of that has a price on bandwidth but I think most of their products are good if now great. I've been a user of them since 2005 or so. Started with ST2 and Sonic Synth. I actually like most of their instruments and effects. They seem to release some interesting hardware products now as well like their new monitors. They are most certainly a Slate level hype machine but that is just business. The best thing with IK to do is just wait for deep discounts on products and upgrades/crossgrades.

Note, I still think MODO Drum is a piece of absolute garbage hahaha but other than that most of the stuff is good. I've yet to try Tonex but I think I'm all set there. Wading through a bunch of captures sounds exhausting. Also, I know some has commented on Overloud's version of this tech not sounding as good but I think that is nonsense. It's all about the quality of the captures. I didn't like most of the Choptones stuff but the LRS stuff sounded great.

Return to “Instruments”