Which synthesizer is most suitable for ambient music?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Absynth is still a great thing for ambient.
+1 for alchemy. Even the old version.

astralprojection wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:19 pm Absynth is still a great thing for ambient.
+1 for alchemy. Even the old version.
Can add Iris and Harbor to those as well for the discontinued or limited to one OS. I might suggest Biotek 2 for a current multiengine approach. Or the usual giants like HALion, Omnisphere, etc. Also, any of the sample/granular/spectral plugins like Padshop, Novum, Quanta, etc.
And the coming suggestions of adding effects to any plugin to achieve ambience...

komplete 13.

Omnisphere and then Komplete 13?

Well, still less expensive than going hardware, I guess... :)

Well, it it'll be Komplete 13, I guess the OP is set for life with all that stuff in there...

chk071 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:04 am I guess it depends on the kind of sounds you're after. Some people can do Ambient music with a one oscillator monophonic analog synth.

As I figure you DO want to have more versatility, I would recommend Waldorf Largo, which is perfectly suited for most of the sounds typically associated with Ambient music IMO.

If you're quick you can still get Largo for half price on Waldorf Music's online shop with this coupon code: 50SPAREN
FYI Largo is currently $29.99 at Audio Plugin Deals:

https://audioplugin.deals/largo-the-syn ... y-waldorf/

All the older Waldorf stuff regularly goes on sale for fire sale prices on that site.

chk071 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:14 pm
Well, it it'll be Komplete 13, I guess the OP is set for life with all that stuff in there...
that's what i was thinking, covered for years to come, from all angles, synths, acoustic stuff, fx...

and im also thinking, due to the fact some folk are for no real good reason, pissed off at ni for being a business...
you might grab a 13 at a decent second hand price, and 13 gives you absynth, which while getting on, is hard to beat for ambient music, especially when paired with reaktor.

and yes, much cheaper than hardware, i recently dropped four hundred quid, on an oscillator. :hihi:

cthonophonic wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:39 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:04 am I guess it depends on the kind of sounds you're after. Some people can do Ambient music with a one oscillator monophonic analog synth.

As I figure you DO want to have more versatility, I would recommend Waldorf Largo, which is perfectly suited for most of the sounds typically associated with Ambient music IMO.

If you're quick you can still get Largo for half price on Waldorf Music's online shop with this coupon code: 50SPAREN
FYI Largo is currently $29.99 at Audio Plugin Deals:

https://audioplugin.deals/largo-the-syn ... y-waldorf/

All the older Waldorf stuff regularly goes on sale for fire sale prices on that site.
Ah, nice. :) That's a much better deal then, of course.

vurt wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:41 pm and yes, much cheaper than hardware, i recently dropped four hundred quid, on an oscillator. :hihi:
Oof...

That's why I always was so hesitant with hardware (apart from other reasons). It's a money pit. I also know myself. If I have one piece of hardware, I would probably want more. :)

chk071 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:44 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:41 pm and yes, much cheaper than hardware, i recently dropped four hundred quid, on an oscillator. :hihi:
Oof...

That's why I always was so hesitant with hardware (apart from other reasons). It's a money pit. I also know myself. If I have one piece of hardware, I would probably want more. :)
yeah, it can be a bit expensive.
i only buy when ive saved the cash, won't use a credit card (too easy to get myself in debt) and now feel im done, my racks are filled and i have a monster of a machine, that i can do most things with that come to mind.

obviously, the future will hold some breakdowns and replacements, but at least im well past the "well it sounds great, but i really could do with..." stage.

and i do consider myself to be very lucky to have been able to do it, ive been where even largo at 29.99 would have been a luxury.
getting divorced helped too, she'd never have allowed it, id have been forced to buy gardening equipment :o

Blue 3?

The key things that need to be said have been said.

1. Omnisphere, as far as synths go, is all you need.

2. Get a damn good reverb because that is arguably just as important, if not more so, than the synth itself.

But if you just want to blow some cash, here are a few suggestions

Falcon
HALion
Pigments

tehlord wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:32 am If you have Omnisphere already, you 100% don't need anything else.
Agreed

all, or if you have to pick one, piano

Granular stuff is good for ambient. Padshop, Pigments, Quanta etc... But also this can be added to anything and it's pay-what-you-want: https://daniel-gergely.itch.io/emergence

And then put almost any sound source through PaulXStretch for harmonic explorations. Takes a lot of digging to get the most out of it though: https://sonosaurus.com/paulxstretch/

If you're more inclined toward presets than patch creation you might checkout soundsets from The Unfinished and Tom Wolfe instead of another synth.

Return to “Instruments”