How do you all feel about Spitfire Labs

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
User avatar
SomethingSomeone
KVRist
Topic Starter
39 posts since 7 Oct, 2022 from Philadelphia, PA

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:49 am

I find myself opening the labs plugin just as much as anything else. The soft piano was my go to piano plugin for a long while, I still use it for parts and pieces. Lots of beautiful swirls and abstract sounds, piano pads, synth pads. I don't know I'm just shocked and impressed whenever I find a company providing inspired free services. Also, the Cello Moods sample plugin, if you haven't tried it yet, is beautifully realistic. It wouldn't fit for every song but it's perfect for when it does. I used it in the mid to late section of this song and several other of their free labs sounds also in this https://soundcloud.com/jeffblough/its-a-secret

Anyway I wanted to say I appreciate their free stuff a lot and I hope they continue what they're doing. I was reminded of them this morning because they just dropped a new "Cassette Synth" labs plugin, free of course. Downloading now and about to try it. I love cassette stuff.

"Sounds from a 1980s Yamaha CS-80 played through a unique installation of 100 cassette players. Unstable, noisy and lush, these emotionally-coded pads will bring instant depth to your scores."
https://labs.spitfireaudio.com/cassette ... RS+%28A%29

User avatar
Michael L
KVRAF
4262 posts since 25 Jan, 2014 from The End of The World as We Knowit

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:33 am

They really understand their market, are good salespeople (even if often over the top), and produce samples with an aesthetic that many like. Their approach is clearly good for business!
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

User avatar
jamcat
KVRAF
3166 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:41 am

They seem legit.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

SHall1000
KVRian
920 posts since 13 May, 2015

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:09 am

I would love to start using Labs again but I found it so buggy and painful to install and keep running I gave up. Maybe it is more stable now.

For reference:
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=564825

noiseboyuk
KVRAF
4443 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:24 am

Some really nice stuff in the labs, and a great charity thing they did.

I find their bigger products a bit hit and miss. Their quality control often leaves something to be desired and the promotional hoopla gets a little wearing. I still use Sable a lot despite all the problems with it - I paid for the upgrade to Chamber Strings only to find they didn't fix any of the horrendous clonks and glitches in the library, and don't intend to. However the sound is so good I work round the issues.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2021 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 12
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

mixyguy2
KVRian
584 posts since 2 Mar, 2018

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:34 pm

I like Soft Piano, but most of the other LABS stuff I tried didn't do much for me tbh, and I hate the install process. I do appreciate any company giving out free stuff though. LABs is worth the look.

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
34194 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:02 pm

Just installing them - why do I need to click install 55 times? And I don't understand the difference between regular installing and HDD installing since both options place the files on my HDD (also the instructions are confusing)

User avatar
SomethingSomeone
KVRist
Topic Starter
39 posts since 7 Oct, 2022 from Philadelphia, PA

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:25 pm

SHall1000 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:09 am I would love to start using Labs again but I found it so buggy and painful to install and keep running I gave up. Maybe it is more stable now.
Sometimes the plugins get corrupted, it does seem a bit buggy sometimes. I haven't had an issue for awhile though. I've had little success using their "repair" feature in app when I encounter a problem, so I'll just clear the data of whichever instrument plugin is giving me problems and reinstall.
mixyguy2 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:34 pm I like Soft Piano, but most of the other LABS stuff I tried didn't do much for me tbh, and I hate the install process. I do appreciate any company giving out free stuff though. LABs is worth the look.
Once the app is installed you shouldn't even need to open it manually to install their stuff. Whenever I get an email for a new instrument plugin, I click install on the web page and it automatically opens my app in the background and installs everything.
aMUSEd wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:02 pm Just installing them - why do I need to click install 55 times? And I don't understand the difference between regular installing and HDD installing since both options place the files on my HDD (also the instructions are confusing)
Might help if you click install directly from their website instrument links. It'll install into the app for you. Btw listening to your music and I'm feeling good with it. You're talented...browsing over a bunch of stuff but currently listening to the Chromatones selections. You haven't uploaded anything in 3 years it says, you post your stuff somewhere else instead now?

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
34194 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:43 pm

SomethingSomeone wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:25 pm Might help if you click install directly from their website instrument links. It'll install into the app for you. Btw listening to your music and I'm feeling good with it. You're talented...browsing over a bunch of stuff but currently listening to the Chromatones selections. You haven't uploaded anything in 3 years it says, you post your stuff somewhere else instead now?
Thanks I'm using the app but it gives these 2 options of install and hdd install. Both pointing to the same folder.

Thanks for the feedback. Been working on phd then life/health stuff got in the way - not had much time or energy apart from noodling lately. Hopefully will reduce workload at some point :)

User avatar
SomethingSomeone
KVRist
Topic Starter
39 posts since 7 Oct, 2022 from Philadelphia, PA

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:02 pm

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:43 pm Thanks I'm using the app but it gives these 2 options of install and hdd install. Both pointing to the same folder.
Pretty sure install will add it to their default installation folder. If you wanted to change the location to an external drive you could do that with the hdd option. I always just installed default, they add everything into the labs folder on your local drive.

https://spitfireaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en ... s-Windows-

mixyguy2
KVRian
584 posts since 2 Mar, 2018

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:33 pm

SomethingSomeone wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:25 pm Once the app is installed you shouldn't even need to open it manually to install their stuff. Whenever I get an email for a new instrument plugin, I click install on the web page and it automatically opens my app in the background and installs everything.
I just hate install apps. Give me a zip file with everything I need to install the plugin vs forcing me to download and install something in order to be able to download and install something. And the way it installs makes no sense...it spreads the apps across various folders...so I can't simply have that zip file and reinstall it myself; I have to go online and through the install app. What if I don't want my music PC online? Too bad says Spitfire. Really that kind of soured me to Spitfire in general. Orchestral Tools is even worse; their install app is all screwed up.

glokraw
KVRAF
8789 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:36 pm

Install apps rarely use the simplest most generic code, and then veer off into feature bloat beyond basic utility.

And then the company is somewhat at the mercy of their coding employees, who may be lousy at that aspect of the business.

But as long as software thieves are respected among their peers, and tolerated among the masses, we'll have to choose who we support. U-he and BlueCat have great innovative products without the overhead of install-app/authorization coding. If such things are deemed necessary for 'huge' products, or anti-pirate security, at least code them without windows-12 and game-console dependencies :wink:

A company need not abandon traditional tools for those preferring them.

I do like Spitfire's generosity and community support, and Christian might be
a top choice to hang out with in a studio, or on a hike, but the the installer ordeal won't get my money, without a heavy discount for time lost in needless process.
Mi dos centavos

mixyguy2
KVRian
584 posts since 2 Mar, 2018

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:16 pm

I think piracy is overblown. Most people who pirate, if they couldn't, wouldn't buy the thing anyway, so the company isn't really losing much money, esp given that I think most of the pirating is among the teen/college crowd, who can't afford such stuff (or just have more of a self-entitled attitude).

VitaminD
Pick Me Pick me!
9264 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from a state of confusion

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:45 pm

SomethingSomeone wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:49 am I find myself opening the labs plugin just as much as anything else. The soft piano was my go to piano plugin for a long while, I still use it for parts and pieces. Lots of beautiful swirls and abstract sounds, piano pads, synth pads. I don't know I'm just shocked and impressed whenever I find a company providing inspired free services. Also, the Cello Moods sample plugin, if you haven't tried it yet, is beautifully realistic. It wouldn't fit for every song but it's perfect for when it does. I used it in the mid to late section of this song and several other of their free labs sounds also in this https://soundcloud.com/jeffblough/its-a-secret

Anyway I wanted to say I appreciate their free stuff a lot and I hope they continue what they're doing. I was reminded of them this morning because they just dropped a new "Cassette Synth" labs plugin, free of course. Downloading now and about to try it. I love cassette stuff.

"Sounds from a 1980s Yamaha CS-80 played through a unique installation of 100 cassette players. Unstable, noisy and lush, these emotionally-coded pads will bring instant depth to your scores."
https://labs.spitfireaudio.com/cassette ... RS+%28A%29
They seem to care about their product and their customers. I like the free section which gives everyone decent quality cinematic instruments. And the downloader is seamless here.

I wanted to say though that song you posted sounds really nice. I like the progression. Very gentle and emotive. Pensive.

VitaminD
Pick Me Pick me!
9264 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from a state of confusion

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:47 pm

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:43 pm
SomethingSomeone wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:25 pm Might help if you click install directly from their website instrument links. It'll install into the app for you. Btw listening to your music and I'm feeling good with it. You're talented...browsing over a bunch of stuff but currently listening to the Chromatones selections. You haven't uploaded anything in 3 years it says, you post your stuff somewhere else instead now?
Thanks I'm using the app but it gives these 2 options of install and hdd install. Both pointing to the same folder.

Thanks for the feedback. Been working on phd then life/health stuff got in the way - not had much time or energy apart from noodling lately. Hopefully will reduce workload at some point :)
Just click 'download' that will download, authorize, and install the instrument you selected.

Then open your DAW/host and select the 'LABS' instrument to load the individual sounds you downloaded.

Return to “Instruments”