Grandma's Hands, by Bill Withers 1971

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Grandma's Hands" is a song written by Bill Withers about his grandmother. It was included on his first album Just as I Am (1971), and was released as a single.

Withers' maternal grandfather, Gracchus Monroe Galloway (1855–1937), had been born into slavery. In his youth, Withers attended church with his maternal grandmother, Lula (1868–1953), where she would sing and clap along with the hymns. He later said: "It was spontaneous singing, there was nothing programmed. People got up and sang and everybody would join in. It was my favorite kind of singing.

Dedicated to all grandmothers, and for all of us who remember our "Lola".
We love you and always honor your name and remembrance!

https://youtu.be/OwNyikokmfo

This is a powerful song. The humming from 1:04 to 1:15 and the guitar riff from 2:19 to 2:28 together capture the essence of the original very well. I think overall it is a little too fast for my taste, but your performance (singing and playing) is great, nonetheless.

Hi G_J,
You are simply awesome, and so much appreciated.
I am with you, on the speed of this version.
Actually, this is a very challenging song to cover, as Bill Wither's singing is truly phenomenal!!!
Thank you, G_J!!!
With love and respect,
Rene

Rene,
I have heard of Withers, but don't recall hearing this song before; or if I did it was long ago. Very good guitar and vocals per usual! Song suits your voice well. :)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Rene, that was great. It seems that your mix engineer changed things up on the reverb mix for this one. I still think that it's a tad heavy but this is so much better. We can hear your voice, awesome. What a soulful piece of 70s history. Thanks for that!

I'm not familiar with this song, but another great performance. I agree with Genetic_Junk that the humming was a very nice.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

ghettosynth wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:47 am Rene, that was great. It seems that your mix engineer changed things up on the reverb mix for this one. I still think that it's a tad heavy but this is so much better. We can hear your voice, awesome. What a soulful piece of 70s history. Thanks for that!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hi ghettosynth,
Love the feedback on the mix. Thanks for this, as we always search for the right amount of reverb, especially for live performance.
This classic is truly a piece of 70's history, and a lovely Bill Withers song, especially as we remember and honor our Grandmas during this Thanksgiving season.
Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Thank you!
Rene

Really well done, Rene. I agree with ghettosynth, the verb sounds very natural and tasteful here.
Excellent performance and recording as usual.

Thanks for sharing!

Another solid performance, which is a given every time I listen to your music. I was going to comment about the vocal reverb but it looks like others have already beaten me to it. This reverb really compliments your vocals nicely. I've never heard the original song and not so sure I need to. Your track really delivers.

Great: You sit down in your guitar shop and get started. It sounds amazing! :clap:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

ghettosynth wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:47 am Rene, that was great. It seems that your mix engineer changed things up on the reverb mix for this one. I still think that it's a tad heavy but this is so much better. We can hear your voice, awesome. What a soulful piece of 70s history. Thanks for that!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hi ghettosynth,
Love your great feedback, and really appreciate the beautiful words!!!
Glad that the mix worked a bit better on this recording.
Truly a soulful classic, by a true legend, Bill Withers!!!
Thank you, my friend!!!
respectfully,
Rene

I'm not familiar with the original, but I found this very powerful. The emotion really came through.

eassae wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:28 pm I'm not familiar with this song, but another great performance. I agree with Genetic_Junk that the humming was a very nice.
+++++++++++++++++
Hi eassae,
Always a pure pleasure to hear from you, my friend.
Glad to have delivered this classic to your musical ear!!!
Thank you, as always!!!
Happy New Year!
Rene

justin3am wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:55 pm Really well done, Rene. I agree with ghettosynth, the verb sounds very natural and tasteful here.
Excellent performance and recording as usual.

Thanks for sharing!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Love your "very natural verb sounds"!!!
Your wonderful comments are so loved, yeahhhhh, so humbling and so inspiring!!!
Thank you so much, justin3am!!!
With love and respect,
Rene

aaron aardvark wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:51 am Rene,
I have heard of Withers, but don't recall hearing this song before; or if I did it was long ago. Very good guitar and vocals per usual! Song suits your voice well. :)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hi Aaron,
I am so happy that I am able to squeeze in this classic into your very musical ear!!!
I love your wonderful comments.
Thank you so much, Aaron for your solid support!!!
With love and respect,
Rene

Return to “Music Cafe”