Allomerus - Emergent

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Allomerus
KVRAF
Topic Starter
2913 posts since 28 Aug, 2012 from Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:40 am

Prog Instrumental.
Allomerus - Emergent
John Wegner: Guitar, Synths* and Bass
Paul Wegner: Drums and Percussion

*Saxophones and Flutes are the GR20 guitar synth. SY1000 also used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAc47a4ZzPE
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

enroe
KVRAF
2067 posts since 19 Mar, 2008 from germany

Post Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:45 am

Oh yes - I hear a nice saxophone intro. It's kind of staccato. Then drums
and guitar join them - also in a staccato way. Until the gong changes everything:
The range of instruments becomes broader - but the staccato feeling remains.

The video is beautiful: We see the Australian vastness, fields and clouds. The
colors have been strongly sharpened. Australian sunsets (or are they sunrises?)
are shown in all variations. The recordings of the Milky Way are very successful
- well done!

Things change in the last quarter of the song: more volcanoes, the moon also
becomes visible, and distorted guitars introduce a new moment. The Australian
landscape in all its enormous colors is pretty fascinating.

All in all: A great adventure with great variety and a wealth of experiences -
both auditory and visual! :clap:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Rene Asologuitar
KVRian
831 posts since 2 Apr, 2022

Post Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:29 pm

Lovely video.
And the music is truly magnificent, as grand as the scenery!
The Aussie landscape is simply grand!!!
Enjoying this recording!!!
Rene

Allomerus
KVRAF
Topic Starter

Post Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:33 pm

enroe wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:45 am Oh yes - I hear a nice saxophone intro. It's kind of staccato. Then drums
and guitar join them - also in a staccato way. Until the gong changes everything:
The range of instruments becomes broader - but the staccato feeling remains.

The video is beautiful: We see the Australian vastness, fields and clouds. The
colors have been strongly sharpened. Australian sunsets (or are they sunrises?)
are shown in all variations. The recordings of the Milky Way are very successful
- well done!

Things change in the last quarter of the song: more volcanoes, the moon also
becomes visible, and distorted guitars introduce a new moment. The Australian
landscape in all its enormous colors is pretty fascinating.

All in all: A great adventure with great variety and a wealth of experiences -
both auditory and visual! :clap:
Thanks enroe! Glad you enjoyed it. I have to confess I didn't record any of the visuals. I just chose them and arranged them in some sort of "story". All the best.
Bandcamp

Allomerus
KVRAF
Topic Starter

Post Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:35 pm

Rene Asologuitar wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:29 pm Lovely video.
And the music is truly magnificent, as grand as the scenery!
The Aussie landscape is simply grand!!!
Enjoying this recording!!!
Rene
Thanks Rene! The music came first and I finally chose these videos that I hoped reflected the mood and title of the track. Glad you enjoyed it.
Bandcamp

seismic1
KVRAF
11049 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Post Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:57 pm

I think this is one of my favourite Allomerus creation. It ticks a lot of my KC checkboxes. The sax and flute parts sound very good indeed, and give the piece a Mel Collins vibe. It's got a 'tron too, and the guitar, bass and drum parts certainly don't disappoint. I love the time-signature variations work for me. I think the video assembly was very well done too. It's a winner.

Good work :)

Allomerus
KVRAF
Topic Starter

Post Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:33 am

seismic1 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:57 pm I think this is one of my favourite Allomerus creation. It ticks a lot of my KC checkboxes. The sax and flute parts sound very good indeed, and give the piece a Mel Collins vibe. It's got a 'tron too, and the guitar, bass and drum parts certainly don't disappoint. I love the time-signature variations work for me. I think the video assembly was very well done too. It's a winner.

Good work :)
Thanks Tim. I really like using the GR20 for sax flute etc. It seems to make me feel like a real sax player. :o
I rate this as one of our best too. There are a couple of spots where it could be better, but oh well, you can fiddle with tracks forever if you aren't careful... :hihi:
As to the video, I agonised over what to use for ages to fit the title until I found these in my stockpile. I wasn't entirely sure of it even then, so I am glad it seems to fit. :tu:
Bandcamp

wagtunes
KVRAF
21013 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:24 pm

Well, I was not expecting the sax intro. Totally took me by surprise. One of your more unusual pieces. The rhythm of this would drive me bonkers if I tried to duplicate it. I'm just not that good a musician.

Hear a ton of Gentle Giant in this. But I think that's true of a lot of your songs. I think you told me a while ago that they were an influence but I'm not 100% sure.

All in all, this was a real treat to listen to. My only complaint, I wish it was longer. I could imagine so many parts being added to this and turned into a "Supper's Ready."

Oh, hear a little Refugee with Patrick Moraz in this one as well.

All in all, 2 thumbs up. Listening to your stuff is such a joy. I just wish you recorded more often. Alas, only so many hours in the day I guess.

Thanks for this treat.

aaron aardvark
KVRAF
2415 posts since 22 Jan, 2011 from near Los Angeles

Post Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:09 pm

Allomerus,
Thank you for the review! Now your song: I never would have imagined the sax intro was guitar in a million years; it sounds pretty real! I thought the intro was pretty jazzy, and now your song is turning into Black Sabbath/Jethro Tull! The whole song is eclectic! If those are real acoustic drums, they sound really good for that because recording real drums is difficult to sound good on. And if the drummer is triggering samples, it still sounds good! The entire song (includes synths) is well done and the video fit well from what I saw of it. :)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

tomtom1
KVRian
875 posts since 21 May, 2020 from germany

Post Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:53 am

There is so much stuff in it, it is almost wasteful... that's enough material for at least 5-7 songs :hihi:
Maybe that would be my way to do it :lol:

Two parts stood out for me:
flute-part
and the part with the synth riff (towards the end)

:tu:
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

guitarmiester
KVRist
218 posts since 30 Dec, 2018

Post Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:16 pm

Really creative piece with interesting variations. Those Boss and Roland guitar/bass synths open up a world of musical sounds that you showcased really well. Oddly enough, I was watching a video about the SY1000 last night after finding out it was used for a section of a song that I assumed was an actual flute. You would have had me fooled as well if you didn't list what you used. The 70s prog rock guitars sound great, too.

Very nice work. Looking forward to hearing more like this.

Allomerus
KVRAF
Topic Starter

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:54 pm

wagtunes wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:24 pm Well, I was not expecting the sax intro. Totally took me by surprise. One of your more unusual pieces. The rhythm of this would drive me bonkers if I tried to duplicate it. I'm just not that good a musician.

Hear a ton of Gentle Giant in this. But I think that's true of a lot of your songs. I think you told me a while ago that they were an influence but I'm not 100% sure.

All in all, this was a real treat to listen to. My only complaint, I wish it was longer. I could imagine so many parts being added to this and turned into a "Supper's Ready."

Oh, hear a little Refugee with Patrick Moraz in this one as well.

All in all, 2 thumbs up. Listening to your stuff is such a joy. I just wish you recorded more often. Alas, only so many hours in the day I guess.

Thanks for this treat.
Wow thanks Wags! I like making tracks that are different and it's great we can take you by surprise.

I guess there is some GG in it but I started off influenced by King Crimson when I was starting this. Think "Starless and Bible Black" era but with saxes and flutes.

I used 9/8 as the original meter only for Paul to inform me that it was something different than that. (That happened more than once)

In the back of my head I do want to make a track that is 20+ minutes long but I always seem to find that too long, maybe I am too impatient! :)
Bandcamp

Allomerus
KVRAF
Topic Starter

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:15 pm

aaron aardvark wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:09 pm Allomerus,
Thank you for the review! Now your song: I never would have imagined the sax intro was guitar in a million years; it sounds pretty real! I thought the intro was pretty jazzy, and now your song is turning into Black Sabbath/Jethro Tull! The whole song is eclectic! If those are real acoustic drums, they sound really good for that because recording real drums is difficult to sound good on. And if the drummer is triggering samples, it still sounds good! The entire song (includes synths) is well done and the video fit well from what I saw of it. :)
Thanks Aaron. The GR20 uses sax samples to make the sound, but it is done so well I find it just natural to play sax on the guitar. I never feel like I have to adjust my playing too much to use it.

The Black Sabbath sound comes from using tritones and flattened 5ths throughout.

They are real drums, Paul has a sound deadened enclosure in his garage so that helps. We use two overheads and two other mics, one the snare and one for the kick.
Bandcamp

markkuja
KVRian
1452 posts since 28 Oct, 2005 from Finland

Post Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:20 am

Great instrumental music with nice video.
I liked the composition and arrangement with variety parts.
Sounds good.

Allomerus
KVRAF
Topic Starter

Post Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:08 pm

tomtom1 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:53 am There is so much stuff in it, it is almost wasteful... that's enough material for at least 5-7 songs :hihi:
Maybe that would be my way to do it :lol:

Two parts stood out for me:
flute-part
and the part with the synth riff (towards the end)

:tu:
Thanks tomtom1. In my mind there are not so many parts as variations on a theme. Most of the track uses a variation on a motif using the devils interval...

Glad you liked the flute part.
Bandcamp

Return to “Music Cafe”