Grab TAL U-NO-LX on sale if I already have TAL J-8?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fret-runner73
KVRer
Topic Starter
5 posts since 16 Oct, 2008 from Massachusetts, USA

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:34 am

Hi all. Last night, I bought my first TAL synth - the superb J-8 to fill the Roland hole in my collection of synths. I went with it because it was...well...the Jupiter 8, Roland's flagship analog synth with 2 oscillators, etc compared to the Juno's 1 OSC. I have done tons of research on the two synths and understand the Juno has its own mojo, despite the one oscillator. I am getting conservative with my money, having bought Legend, Oddity3, and Repro over the past two months. I have tons of other synths as well (both Synthmasters, Predator 3, OB-XD, PG-8X (pretty solid Roland sound right there), Dexed, and virtually every other free synth).

Today is the last day of TAL's Black Friday sale and I am tempted to grab U-NO-LX due to its quality and high regard among the community. Plus, TAL's sales seem to be rare. I have demoed U-NO-LX quite a bit and dig it, but feel like I should master the synths I have and if I am going to spend $38, why not spend it on some quality presets for the J-8? What are your thoughts? I literally bought the J-8 last night and GAS is still making its pressure felt! I am going to grab Synapse's fantastic Obsession eventually, so you can understand my hesitancy. Has the J-8 met my Roland needs single handedly or should I add that Juno mojo to my arsenal? Is U-NO-LX largely redundant? THAT is my main question. It seems to be and I don't want to be unnecessarily synth-greedy :hyper:

chk071
KVRAF
33355 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:41 am

I feel like you only can answer those questions yourself...

I bought the Model 84 from Softube the other day (which is an emulation of the Juno-106), and, frankly, it was an impulse buy, because it was cheap as chips. I just don't dig the architecture (which is the same as on the Juno-60). The sound is alright, but, only one oscillator, only one envelope is just too little for me. I booted up Monark after I fiddled with it for an hour or two, and, it was a relief really... The Minimoog MUCH more appeals to me, architecture wise. Even though it's monophonic.

So, if you already demo'd TAL-U-NO-LX, I would still recommend to go on demo'ing it until you're really sure that you want and have a need for it. A separate envelope for amplitude and filter, and two oscillators is the bare minimum I need to "live" really.

If you just want the Roland sound in the box, you might be good with the Jupiter-8 and the PG-8X. Although the Juno's are also vastly identified with the "Roland sound", but, frankly, without using the chorus, they're also not very fat sounding. I guess that's the point, using them with the chorus. But then, I can do that with a lot of synths which don't have the limitations the Juno's have-
Last edited by chk071 on Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

zvenx
KVRAF
11875 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:42 am

If money is tight as much as I like Patrick, i would say the j8 is the best roland analog software emulation you can buy.
I personally was disappointed with Obsession though I am an oberheim man. If you do want the oberheim taste keep GForce ob-e/sem in mind.
But yeah to me you can skip the u no lx for now.
I think the jupiter 8 was the pinnacle and the juno's were those who wanted that sound without the budget.
rap
sound sculptist

chk071
KVRAF
33355 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:47 am

zvenx wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:42 am
I personally was disappointed with Obsession though I am an oberheim man.
Me too. Really disappointed. Which I guess is a mixture of being underwhelmed by the OB-Xa in general, and the emulation.

I'd recommend getting the bx_oberhausen or the Gforce SEM of the OB-E if you're into that sound.

zvenx
KVRAF

Post Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:53 am

I actually loved the hardware OB series.. it was my favourite synthesizers back in the day.

rsp
sound sculptist

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
10186 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:24 am

I prefer the uno-lx over the j8. I just love the Juno sound and simplicity. I think it’s worth having.

I think there’s more redundancy between the 2 osc synths like the Jupiter, prophets and oberheims. Junos have a unique multiwave single osc that just sounds great.

Fret-runner73
KVRer
Topic Starter
5 posts since 16 Oct, 2008 from Massachusetts, USA

Post Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:29 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it. When I saw the U-NO-LX was still on sale beyond the original sale end date this morning, that was the final GAS nudge I needed and bought it. The thing is a legendary soft synth and the limited nature of its features can be a plus from a certain perspective, especially regarding simplicity in dialing in sounds. And unlike the J-8, it has built-in reverb. (I added Valhalla Room to the J-8 in my host and, wow, that kicks up the J-8 to the next level, as to be expected). With its one oscillator and one envelope, the U-No a great "beginner's synth" to program while having charm and depth for longevity. In the end, why have just a Jupiter 8 when you can also have a Juno 60?? <End of GAS rationalization>

zvenx
KVRAF

Post Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:38 pm

:)... I actually like that the J-8 (deliberately) doesn't have a reverb.
Some Sound Designers tend to go overboard with onboard effects.

But glad you like the U-No-LX too.
rsp
sound sculptist

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
10344 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:32 pm

Don’t buy the Juno. Get TAL-Mod! ;)

zvenx
KVRAF

Post Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:27 pm

Alas he already bought it.
You know I keep reading on this forum how great Tal-Mod is and though I bought it when it came out, and almost everytime I read a praise I go back and try it..
I just don't get it..

rsp
sound sculptist

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
10344 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:29 pm

zvenx wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:27 pm Alas he already bought it.
You know I keep reading on this forum how great Tal-Mod is and though I bought it when it came out, and almost everytime I read a praise I go back and try it..
I just don't get it..

rsp
I only just purchased it but sound-wise, it reminds a lot of J-8, but you've got 3 OSC's, 2 filters, a semi-modular format, more FX. I do wish it had some quantizers though for the modulation. It's a cool sounding synth.

zvenx
KVRAF

Post Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:32 pm

I know you know if you send him that wish list you may get it before weekend if he isn't too busy working on something else :).

rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”