Complete my current set

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I miss an analog typed machine.

I thought at Sequential about P6 and OB6, the latter I like, but not sure that the choice is the best.

I have a Virus Ti2, Nord lead A1, Analog Rhythm MK2, Toraiz AS-1, a Blofeld, a Subsequent 37.

I would like to add an analog polysynth, but only as a module.

Do you have an idea of ​​a module that could complement my current hardware?

I had thought of the Analog Four MK2, Minilogue XD.

Regarding the Minilogue XD, I think I will quickly be limited.

On the other hand the Analog Four MK2 has the Elektron sequencer, an evolutionary arpeggiator.

What do you think ?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Check out Nymphes by Dreadbox ... six-voice analog polysynth in a tiny package.

Analogue Solutions FuseBox X
https://youtu.be/-w_SO40ehfw?t=1442

It’s hard to say without knowing what you’re looking for, or what you like/dislike about the P6 and OB-6.

I love my Analog Four mk2 and it fills a very nice niche in my setup, but I’m not sure I’d recommend it as the main or only analog poly synth in someone’s setup. I tend to think of it as a 4-mono-synth groovebox that can also function as a 4-voice poly synth. That makes it a pretty flexible and very cool machine (and a nice complement to the RYTM), but when you want to play big analog poly synth chords, you’ll probably find yourself wishing you had something else, or turning to your Virus or Nord. Personally, I’d suggest a Rev2, Prophet 6, or OB-6, but it sounds like you’ve already decided against those. Maybe the new Trigon is something worth waiting for, assuming Sequential will eventually release a module version.

What’s your budget? Not cheap, but a Prophet 10 might be another consideration. Studio Electronics CODE/Omega is a killer poly synth, but also very expensive and is a rackmount unit (which you could just sit on your desktop).
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

Why do you think you need this? Analog Four and Minilogue only have four analogue voices, they are extremely limited when it comes to what we think of when we think about polysynths. If you want to play big chords, you might be better off with a Deepmind 12D?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

+1 for the Deepmind 12D. I've never had the pleasure of owning one, but I've checked it out in stores and it's a really nice synth with lots of features/polyphony for not a lot of money.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

Thank you for your answers.

It's not that I don't like the P6, just not transcended in sound, despite everything I thought the Trigon 6 would be a hybrid version.

A mix of P6 and OB6.

But apparently the Trigon 6 would be a kind of MemoryMoog.

My preference is still the OB6, I'm waiting to see the Trigon 6 to see what it will deliver musically and if it's worth it.

What bothers me with Sequential is the inflated price for a six-voice.

The nostalgia side does not interest me, a machine must carry me away, have a real interest,

Considerations is Sequential, it's the sound of the past and doesn't really interest me.

What I really enjoyed during the reign of the much revered, lamented and respected Dave Smith was the time of the Polyevolver.

Now it has become replicas and variations of the Prophet.

No more real surprises.

When will there be a truly innovative synth that will be something other than a Prophet, Oberheim and other replicas of the past.

The Trigon 6 will be the same.

The difference is the filter, very expensive paid for a filter.

So, I expect from Sequential, real know-how from them and real Sequential.

Regarding the Rev 2, I find it very nasal and the sound does not thrill me.

The Fusebox not bad, but a kind of semi modular.

I would just like a Polyanalogue, because it's a sound palette that I miss in my set.

Indeed the Analog Four MK2 is a marvel of machine and it awakens creativity.

It is true four voices, not huge.

The strength of Elektron, the sequencer and the possibilities and combinations.

Regarding L'Omega, a marvel, but an unaffordable price.

The Deepmind 12 D, I think about it more and more.

On the other hand, it is quality and reliability in the medium and long term.

Concerns also, to draw the quintessence of it you have to delve into the menus (effects, etc.) and that, it curbs spontaneity and therefore creativity.

But, it must be said that this Deepmind 12 is one hell of a machine apparently.

I have had cash aside that I saved for an analogue poly. I have also found it very hard to jump for one. Makes me kick myself for missing out on a second hand poly evolver some time back.

It's not like there aren't good options:
Novation Summit (or peak), modern fully featured, though kinda glassy sound at times.

Udo Super 6, very nice but not that edgy sounding perhaps. Sounds very good though and the form factor is beautiful

Sequential P6, Take 5, ob6 and now trigon. Trigon sounds like a P6 with a different filter. Hopefully some more sound demos will come along. Any of these I'm sure would be a great synth.

Edit: missed out REV2, which I think has slightly less tone than a P6.

Minilogue sounds great, a good juetral all rounder, probably ok for a lot of things, and good value too.

Arturia Polybutene. An immense synth, but something jars me slightly about some sounds.

Waldorf M, has some fantastic sounds and the filters are great, but I'm worried I'd only get weird sounds out of it where is want lush pads some of the time.

Nymphes is nice but too basic.

But what do I know. I had Siruismo down as an analogue synth guy, as his synth work is great, but turns out he 'just' uses and old Korg Triton...

Anyway none of the above quite click. Summit seems like best compromise of sound and features...

Thanks for your return.

I came to almost the same list at one point.

The Uno looks really interesting indeed.

I am looking for a module with many presets.

With practical ergonomics and functions without going through menus.

The Rev 2 indeed did not leave me with an unforgettable memory.

The Summit I had the chance to try it for some time and even if it has a very pleasant sound, it does not bring me more than my Virus Ti2 and the Nord Lead a1.

There was supposed to be a new model at dreadbox, Abyss 2.

Unless I am mistaken, nothing on the horizon.

Not easy to find the right compromise and the right machine.

What would probably annoy me with the OB-6, although I like Oberheim is that the filter is not very resonant. I mean, IMO, why get an analog synth if the filter doesn't scream? :) I already have that multiple times in software.

I think the OB-6 is a very good sounding synth, but, if I was split between that and the Rev2, then I would most likely get the latter. Simply because it's more fun to me to also explore the more extreme side of these synths.

Oh, sorry. missed you said module. Ive thinking more keyboard, maybe than can double as a controller...

Udo super 6 has a module and presets.

Doesn't the P6 have a module and more possibilities than a P5?

Nothing is going to do it all. At some point maybe just have to go with one and learn it's strengths and weaknesses...

Trancer wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:56 pm There was supposed to be a new model at dreadbox, Abyss 2.
Unless I am mistaken, nothing on the horizon.
I have an Abyss ... bought it right after seeing the first reviews. I absolutely love it. They're pretty hard to find these days. You gotta be quick to snag Dreadbox gear. :wink:
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

_leras wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:06 am Doesn't the P6 have a module and more possibilities than a P5?
Yes, both the P5 and P6 come in both keyboard and module forms. The P6 is a more "modern" version of the early Prophet 5/10 and has many more features - basically, it's built on the Prophet legacy but with modern/more features and a similar (but not identical) sound. The new P5 rev4 is more of a true reissue of the P5 that is designed to sound and feel like the earlier rev's, with some minimal modernizations (e.g., USB in/out).

chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:22 pmWhat would probably annoy me with the OB-6, although I like Oberheim is that the filter is not very resonant. I mean, IMO, why get an analog synth if the filter doesn't scream? :) I already have that multiple times in software.
Because there is way more to a good filter than that. Way more. I look for filters that will give my basslines a big kick in the bottom end as the envelope sweeps the resonant peak down through the frequencies. To me that's more important than any other aspect of a filter's performance and Oberheim filters excel in that area.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Thanks for your feedback.

Indeed, Dreadbox products have a certain success.

It should normally release a version 2 of the Abyss.

However, date unknown.

I wonder if the OB 6 would not be the best choice for my set.

Maybe wait for the arrival of the Trigon 6 in desktop version?

A kind of MemoryMoog apparently.

The DeepMind 12 D seems to be a choice to take into account, but my fear, reliability of hard and soft.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”