Which synthesizer is most suitable for ambient music?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You are set with Omnisphere. Instead of blowing more money on tools invest a few hrs day for a few weeks and really get to know what it can do.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:10 pm What is best for ambient is more about how you want to work than any particular tools.
Plus there is a wide variety of ambient...

Omnisphere is likely all that you need for ambient. But this formula should get you started...

"Any synth" layered with "any synth" [repeat as necessary] + reverb. :D
Windows 10 and too many plugins

pdxindy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:32 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:10 pm What is best for ambient is more about how you want to work than any particular tools.
Yes. I thought about saying something about that and decided to keep my words to a minimum. I like to save my verbosity for my hilariously funny hilarious posts these days.

ghettosynth wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:03 pm
Yes. I thought about saying something about that and decided to keep my words to a minimum. I like to save my verbosity for my hilariously funny hilarious posts these days.
i like ambient sausage rolls.

Best Synth for Ambient is the Big Moog.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

sonic999 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:58 am I have been looking for the most suitable synthesizer for ambient music. I already have omnisphere. Do I need any other synthesizer?
No.
Dune3 sounds really amazing. What do you think?
Yes. I agree that Dune sounds amazing.

:lol:

This probably isn't a great analogy, but Omnisphere is like a great "multi-tool." Like a Leatherman or something. It's strength is that is does a bit of everything in one easy to use interface. So, while your Leatherman may have a wine corkscrew, it's never going to compete with a fancy motorized wine bottle opener that has only one function. So, while Omnisphere has a wavetable engine, it's not nearly as complete as Dune's is. Omnisphere has a modulation matrix, but oscillators are not a source. You can find some things that Omnisphere does that Dune does not, like granular, but Omnisphere's Granular isn't as good as a lot of dedicated granular synths.

The question of whether or not you need more than one synth is really dependent on how you use synthesizers and your needs. One could easily never exhaust Omnisphere, but if you want to start experimenting with how an oscillator modifying filter cutoff sounds (very cool) then you're out of luck with Omnisphere.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Thank you for your discussion! I bought pigments at a very low price, And decided not to buy a new synthesizer for the time being.

vurt wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:04 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:03 pm
i like ambient sausage rolls.
Yeah, me too. They bring a certain warmth, don't they?

You could easily get great ambient sounds with a GM module and the right collection of effects.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

sonic999 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:27 am And decided not to buy a new synthesizer for the time being.
Wise and good decision :tu:

I love how everyone keeps piling up with the synth and plugin suggestions when my dude already owns Omnisphere 😂

You can make albums and albums and albums worth of ambient with only Omnisphere (and no 3rd party presets)

i wanted to say Omnisphere, but you already have it so no need of anything else. In fact i think if you have Omnisphere you dont need anything else for any type of music. Anything else would be just a luxury.

You know, the big issue with this thread is that we don't know which kind of music he's even going for, which sounds he wants to create, and, also, if he even likes the sounds coming out of Omnisphere.

I also wonder if the OP might think there's some kind of magic one button press machine which produces great tracks, because the question somewhat implies that.

This is like asking which vehicle I should buy to get from A to B.

sonic999 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:58 am I have been looking for the most suitable synthesizer for ambient music. I already have omnisphere. Do I need any other synthesizer? Dune3 sounds really amazing. What do you think?
Yes Dune 3 is really good and suitable for Ambient music. Most modern synths are though as you'll want big pads and soundscapes. You could look at Avenger, Phase Plant, and Pigments too.

Return to “Instruments”