The biggest disappointment in 20 years of using plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The biggest disappointment in 20 years of using plugins is that no Physical Modeling plugins ever came out except Chromaphone and PianoTeq and maybe the old Kaivo and barely anything else. Maybe SWAM which also used samples. There's a Korg Prophecy plugin and it's strange that emulating a 25 year old Korg somehow has more advanced physical modeling than the plugins we have today for our monster PCs... What the hell?

What happened, how did this turn out so bad? Is it just because people only want to spend money on regular subtractive or wavetable synths? Or is it because physical modeling is too difficult for the developers and none were really smart enough to make good models?
Last edited by secret_man on Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Modo bass and drums too
Most seam instruments are pure physical modeling
They’re that other one that does wind and brass kinda stuff too. Forgetting the name.

Physmod does require extensive R&D, way more than other synthesis methods. And it's usually not that easy to use since parameterization is completely different and not something most people are used to.

Anyways... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ao ... ynthesizer

Respiro, which is great

Also Plasmonic and Reaktor has some good modelled instruments- particular those by Chet Singer

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:16 am Physmod does require extensive R&D, way more than other synthesis methods. And it's usually not that easy to use since parameterization is completely different and not something most people are used to.

Anyways... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ao ... ynthesizer
It also makes things like Diva look like a dilettante when it comes to CPU usage. It's only recently that we can actually run like Chromaphone.

Don't forget to add Modelonia to the list of PM synths, in all its odd glory.

Finally, I think the sight of Sculpture scared off all the early adopters... :hihi:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:32 amIt also makes things like Diva look like a dilettante when it comes to CPU usage.
Very different requirements for the DSP, though. Pianoteq can also chomp quite some CPU depending on how densely you play it.

Logic Pro Sculpture!

GSi just re-released Solo Trumpet. Haven't played with the new one yet, but the original is killer.

https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=56

Low hanging fruit for devs to throw out another VA or WT with essentially just an updated skin and a lot of reused code...if we keep buying 'em, they will keep churning them out!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

maybe theyre just a niche product atm. many users may use sample based solutions to get the original sound synthesized. while i myself am a total sucker of that artifical phy mod sounds, which always seem to be out of a sonic twilight zone :D. phy mod and fm are king ^^

Take a look at Physical Audio physicalaudio.co.uk they've got a couple of interesting instruments, low CPU too.

AAS have a few string modelled instruments as well.

Agree this is an underexplored area. We're drowning in subtractive synthesis, but only a handful of PM instruments.

How is it with patents?

BazJacuzzi wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:42 pm AAS have a few string modelled instruments as well.
AAS arent a great example, given that they've basically been recycling Tassman for 15+ years.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

BazJacuzzi wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:42 pmWe're drowning in subtractive synthesis, but only a handful of PM instruments.
There's plenty of PM of electronics across those substractive synthesis instruments.

What there's only a handful of is PM of acoustic and electromagnetic instruments.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Mentioned once, but to emphasize it: wouldn't Plasmonic fit the bill - it's new, PM, and has great pedigree:

https://rhizomatic.fr/

Also, Prism (for Reaktor) is getting older but it's still pretty awesome once you wrap your head around it (but again, Reaktor...)

Return to “Instruments”