Which synthesizer is most suitable for ambient music?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:57 am

This is like asking which vehicle I should buy to get from A to B.
jet pack.

vurt wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:16 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:57 am

This is like asking which vehicle I should buy to get from A to B.
jet pack.
Yes I would agree with this. :tu:

sonic999 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:27 am I bought pigments at a very low price, And decided not to buy a new synthesizer for the time being.
Wait, what?
I make videos about synths, you can find my channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/synthratings

Yeah, wondered about that too. I thought Pigments was a new synth you bought. :)

LFO8 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:08 am I love how everyone keeps piling up with the synth and plugin suggestions when my dude already owns Omnisphere 😂

You can make albums and albums and albums worth of ambient with only Omnisphere (and no 3rd party presets)
To be fair, the OP is asking if they should buy another synth, so it makes sense to suggest synths that have features that are a step up from what Omnisphere can do on a specific feature. For instance, Dune 3 lets you import and make your own wavetables, has oscillators as mod sources, etc. Do you need those things to make ambient music? I do, but that question is up to the artist.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Well, I think we can agree that some synths lend themselves as versatile and good sounding (for the genre) more than others. E.g. I really wouldn't recommend a Moog Mother-32 for a general recommendation for a synth for Ambient music.

Again, the OP doesn't specify precisely what he/she wants to do, so we have to do guessing games, more or less.

I'd second Dune 3 or Pigments suggestions. Omnisphere, I can't judge, and, to be honest, I'm not super excited about synths with big sample libraries anyway. That's not the way I personally want to make music. I want to synthesize sounds.

And, again, we're facing the issue of not specifiying what you want to do. Running around in circles.

chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:55 pm E.g. I really wouldn't recommend a Moog Mother-32 for a general recommendation for a synth for Ambient music.

Running around in circles.

Why do I think this Quote is just utterly wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF3lhhiknfY
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

El°HYM wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:12 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:55 pm E.g. I really wouldn't recommend a Moog Mother-32 for a general recommendation for a synth for Ambient music.

Probably because you misundestood what I wrote.

I wouldn't recommend a Mother-32 generally as a synth to create Ambient music. Which means it will definitely give you a hard time creating some of the sounds generally associated with Ambient music.

Well, you can sample a lavatory flush as well, alienate it to unrecognizability in a sampler. But, that's definitely not something I would generally recommend someone asking for a "synthesizer suitable for Ambient music".

Did someone recommend OnePingOnly yet?

chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:34 pm
El°HYM wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:12 pm

Probably because you misundestood what I wrote.

I wouldn't recommend a Mother-32 generally as a synth to create Ambient music. Which means it will definitely give you a hard time creating some of the sounds generally associated with Ambient music.

Well, you can sample a lavatory flush as well, alienate it to unrecognizability in a sampler. But, that's definitely not something I would generally recommend someone asking for a "synthesizer suitable for Ambient music".

Did someone recommend OnePingOnly yet?
there's a very famous hippy bloke, won't name him, don't want to get the guy that told me this in any issues...
he wanted a recording of a very specific waterfall, so they trudged up some mountain with the gear, and recorded some sound.
on returning to the studio, sound guy listens back, and it's just noise, didn't sound like a waterfall at all.
so they shoved a mic over the toilet, flushed, and this is now the sound, on an album, that the hippy thinks is some sacred waterfall in the usa mountains.

I should have known. :lol:

Since nobody wanted to google what the Big Moog actually is...

...a pretty good and capable VST for Ambient would be the Polymode.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:44 pm
LFO8 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:08 am I love how everyone keeps piling up with the synth and plugin suggestions when my dude already owns Omnisphere 😂

You can make albums and albums and albums worth of ambient with only Omnisphere (and no 3rd party presets)
To be fair, the OP is asking if they should buy another synth, so it makes sense to suggest synths that have features that are a step up from what Omnisphere can do on a specific feature. For instance, Dune 3 lets you import and make your own wavetables, has oscillators as mod sources, etc. Do you need those things to make ambient music? I do, but that question is up to the artist.
I get what you are saying.. It's up the the individual .. he's also asking for the "best" synth to make ambient specifically.. and has Omnisphere already. My personal advice would be: stop that search and make ambient with Omnisphere first!

Do this: load up Largo, then Papen's Blue, Predator, Albino, Go2, Quad, Vecto. Pick something from either the Pads or Ambient banks, slap some Supermassive on all of them (the HydraHarp preset), write song, and taa-daa.

vurt wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:40 pm
there's a very famous hippy bloke, won't name him, don't want to get the guy that told me this in any issues...
he wanted a recording of a very specific waterfall, so they trudged up some mountain with the gear, and recorded some sound.
on returning to the studio, sound guy listens back, and it's just noise, didn't sound like a waterfall at all.
so they shoved a mic over the toilet, flushed, and this is now the sound, on an album, that the hippy thinks is some sacred waterfall in the usa mountains.
i really want to know what album/song this is :hihi:

chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:34 pm Did someone recommend OnePingOnly yet?
Or this plugin?
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Return to “Instruments”