How many of your guitars are collecting dust?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS
tapper mike
KVRAF
Topic Starter
6411 posts since 20 Jan, 2008

Post Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:45 pm

I think we have cultural diversity in play.

I went to school to study notation and arrangement not to mention guitar. Out of school I would work for studios as a paid session guitarist. You were paid for the gig. These gig's would be anything from some singer songwriter with money to burn to commercial radio and tv spots (think pawn shops, liquor stores, automotive supplies)

To get the gig it was about looking the part. You are as much as an actor as you were a musician in the producers eyes. If your guitar looked the part then you might get the gig. With that money it was wise to invest into another guitar to get another part. Like the old adage about cocaine. I buy more guitars so I can get more gigs so I can buy more guitars. This was a minor market (Fort Myers FL) but the same held true with major markets in CA and NY. It was good money; it wasn't great money and it was hit or miss money.

I wasn't alone. Session guitarist Brent Mason has 35 guitars and he halls them all to gigs even if he only plays one. From there time and availability of money one easily becomes drawn to collection guitars.

While Becker's collection is small (only 300) in comparison to his contemporaries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6psXmYwRQo
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

revvy
KVRAF
3487 posts since 15 Feb, 2020

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:12 am

Before capitalism, everybody had shit loads of guitars and felt good about themselves. Those were the days.
I lost my heart in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

tapper mike
KVRAF
Topic Starter

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:17 am

There was a time before the exchange of goods?

Jung used to live high on the hog when he coined the term consumerism. Nice house nice things but he was somehow shocked to see consumerist behavior in the working and emerging middle class. How dare companies create brand identities so that consumers might value variety and quality.

Unaspected
KVRAF
3177 posts since 4 May, 2012

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:47 pm

delete

Unaspected
KVRAF

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:51 pm

tapper mike wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:45 pm To get the gig it was about looking the part. You are as much as an actor as you were a musician in the producers eyes. If your guitar looked the part then you might get the gig.
I purposefully chose my last guitar because it doesn't look like the kind of guitar one would play stoner/doom with. I didn't go full Hello Kitty though.

Only one other guitar gathering dust. Other than my bass, this is the first guitar bought since my initial purchase - around 28 years ago. I'd do :shock: this but that isn't very long to elves or ents.

revvy
KVRAF

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:58 pm

Your bass gathers dust?

Shane on you.

Unaspected
KVRAF

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:04 pm

revvy wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:58 pm Your bass gathers dust?

Shane on you.
Shane?

But. Noo. Not the bass. Three guitars - one of them a bass guitar. Only one gathering dust is an old Tanglewood Strat copy. Though this is also shameful. Not sure what to do with the guitar as it has sentimental value though I'm not sure I need it anymore.

revvy
KVRAF

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:15 pm

Unaspected wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:04 pm

Shane on you.
Shane?

But. Noo. Not the bass.
Yes, Shane. Er, I was invoking the great cricketer Shane Warne, who, er, never let dust gather and lived life to the full. But as it’s not the bass I’ll let you off.

Unaspected
KVRAF

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:36 pm

revvy wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:15 pm
Unaspected wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:04 pm

Shane on you.
Shane?

But. Noo. Not the bass.
Yes, Shane. Er, I was invoking the great cricketer Shane Warne, who, er, never let dust gather and lived life to the full. But as it’s not the bass I’ll let you off.
:hihi:

Thank you.

The bass in question - or that was in question - is a Washburn Taurus 24. Would certainly be bad to ignore such beauty. But I'm now cheating on my Tanglewood with a JHS Rapier 33 remake - which truly sings. In part, I'd like to think it's because it's made from African Okoume wood - which seems to be spelled differently on various websites - including by me, the last time I wrote about it.

revvy
KVRAF

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:35 pm

Unaspected wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:36 pm Washburn Taurus 24
Nice bass!

I got 2 basses, one in each of the 2 continents of my heart and in which I spend the days, currently. So one is always gathering dust. My cheapo Harley Benton PJ is waiting for me to have a play over Xmas. Meanwhile my Fender Precision AVRI ‘63 is currently played daily.

Unaspected
KVRAF

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:07 pm

revvy wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:35 pm
Unaspected wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:36 pm Washburn Taurus 24
Nice bass!

I got 2 basses, one in each of the 2 continents of my heart and in which I spend the days, currently. So one is always gathering dust. My cheapo Harley Benton PJ is waiting for me to have a play over Xmas. Meanwhile my Fender Precision AVRI ‘63 is currently played daily.
I can relate to finding love in foreign lands. Good stuff.

Quite similar looking basses - I've not played either but they look as though they have some heft.

tapper mike
KVRAF
Topic Starter

Post Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:31 am

Right now my keys are the only thing gathering dust. Perfectly fine Korg Krome but I'm having issues sending midi from my Linnstrument to the workstation.

nix808
KVRAF
4843 posts since 22 Jul, 2006 from Tasmania, Australia

Post Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:47 am

My tube and solid state amps are sitting idle, along with the 2 electrics, while I use MIDI. That might change sometime. I'm not a tone master of conventional electric, while in DAW my tones are manifold -keeping me playin' my standard on atm Synapse WaspXT

vurt
addled muppet weed
98527 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:45 pm

none.
my cleaner has a feather duster.
if you don't want me to destroy you
take a leaf out of my book, turn it round and have a look...

donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
10873 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:49 pm

vurt wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:45 pm none.
my cleaner has a feather duster.

Return to “Guitars”