How many of your guitars are collecting dust?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think we have cultural diversity in play.

I went to school to study notation and arrangement not to mention guitar. Out of school I would work for studios as a paid session guitarist. You were paid for the gig. These gig's would be anything from some singer songwriter with money to burn to commercial radio and tv spots (think pawn shops, liquor stores, automotive supplies)

To get the gig it was about looking the part. You are as much as an actor as you were a musician in the producers eyes. If your guitar looked the part then you might get the gig. With that money it was wise to invest into another guitar to get another part. Like the old adage about cocaine. I buy more guitars so I can get more gigs so I can buy more guitars. This was a minor market (Fort Myers FL) but the same held true with major markets in CA and NY. It was good money; it wasn't great money and it was hit or miss money.

I wasn't alone. Session guitarist Brent Mason has 35 guitars and he halls them all to gigs even if he only plays one. From there time and availability of money one easily becomes drawn to collection guitars.

While Becker's collection is small (only 300) in comparison to his contemporaries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6psXmYwRQo
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Before capitalism, everybody had shit loads of guitars and felt good about themselves. Those were the days.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

There was a time before the exchange of goods?

Jung used to live high on the hog when he coined the term consumerism. Nice house nice things but he was somehow shocked to see consumerist behavior in the working and emerging middle class. How dare companies create brand identities so that consumers might value variety and quality.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

delete

tapper mike wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:45 am To get the gig it was about looking the part. You are as much as an actor as you were a musician in the producers eyes. If your guitar looked the part then you might get the gig.
I purposefully chose my last guitar because it doesn't look like the kind of guitar one would play stoner/doom with. I didn't go full Hello Kitty though.

Only one other guitar gathering dust. Other than my bass, this is the first guitar bought since my initial purchase - around 28 years ago. I'd do :shock: this but that isn't very long to elves or ents.

Your bass gathers dust?

Shane on you.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:58 pm Your bass gathers dust?

Shane on you.
Shane?

But. Noo. Not the bass. Three guitars - one of them a bass guitar. Only one gathering dust is an old Tanglewood Strat copy. Though this is also shameful. Not sure what to do with the guitar as it has sentimental value though I'm not sure I need it anymore.

Unaspected wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:04 am

Shane on you.
Shane?

But. Noo. Not the bass.
Yes, Shane. Er, I was invoking the great cricketer Shane Warne, who, er, never let dust gather and lived life to the full. But as it’s not the bass I’ll let you off.

revvy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:15 am
Unaspected wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:04 am

Shane on you.
Shane?

But. Noo. Not the bass.
Yes, Shane. Er, I was invoking the great cricketer Shane Warne, who, er, never let dust gather and lived life to the full. But as it’s not the bass I’ll let you off.
:hihi:

Thank you.

The bass in question - or that was in question - is a Washburn Taurus 24. Would certainly be bad to ignore such beauty. But I'm now cheating on my Tanglewood with a JHS Rapier 33 remake - which truly sings. In part, I'd like to think it's because it's made from African Okoume wood - which seems to be spelled differently on various websites - including by me, the last time I wrote about it.

Unaspected wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:36 am Washburn Taurus 24
Nice bass!

I got 2 basses, one in each of the 2 continents of my heart and in which I spend the days, currently. So one is always gathering dust. My cheapo Harley Benton PJ is waiting for me to have a play over Xmas. Meanwhile my Fender Precision AVRI ‘63 is currently played daily.

revvy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:35 am
Unaspected wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:36 am Washburn Taurus 24
Nice bass!

I got 2 basses, one in each of the 2 continents of my heart and in which I spend the days, currently. So one is always gathering dust. My cheapo Harley Benton PJ is waiting for me to have a play over Xmas. Meanwhile my Fender Precision AVRI ‘63 is currently played daily.
I can relate to finding love in foreign lands. Good stuff.

Quite similar looking basses - I've not played either but they look as though they have some heft.

Right now my keys are the only thing gathering dust. Perfectly fine Korg Krome but I'm having issues sending midi from my Linnstrument to the workstation.

My tube and solid state amps are sitting idle, along with the 2 electrics, while I use MIDI. That might change sometime. I'm not a tone master of conventional electric, while in DAW my tones are manifold -keeping me playin' my standard on atm Synapse WaspXT

none.
my cleaner has a feather duster.

vurt wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:45 pm none.
my cleaner has a feather duster.

Return to “Guitars”