How many virtual drumkits do you have and actually use?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What I'd really like to find is a very dull and dead sounding kit - something that goes beyond measured damping to a completely flat sound with less resonance than a tractor tyre. A kit recorded with those protective pads on every drum. Not much treatment on the kick other than a blanket in the drum. Maybe chains on the cymbals.

I don't know if there is anything out there like that.

Unaspected wrote: ↑Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:26 am What I'd really like to find is a very dull and dead sounding kit - something that goes beyond measured damping to a completely flat sound with less resonance than a tractor tyre. A kit recorded with those protective pads on every drum. Not much treatment on the kick other than a blanket in the drum. Maybe chains on the cymbals.

I don't know if this is dull enough for you, but it came to mind. https://www.pianobook.co.uk/packs/soft-drums/
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

FrogsInPants wrote: ↑Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:02 am
Unaspected wrote: ↑Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:26 am What I'd really like to find is a very dull and dead sounding kit - something that goes beyond measured damping to a completely flat sound with less resonance than a tractor tyre. A kit recorded with those protective pads on every drum. Not much treatment on the kick other than a blanket in the drum. Maybe chains on the cymbals.

I don't know if this is dull enough for you, but it came to mind. https://www.pianobook.co.uk/packs/soft-drums/
Thank you.

It sounds almost electronic with the processing done. Not quite what I'm looking for - going for the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of heaviness and rawness. Though I guess my praise of the Moonkits would make it seem that I'm after a softer sound.

I'd be interested to see if there is such a thing. I've found samples of deadened 70s style drums but they've never been dead enough.

Unaspected wrote: ↑Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:27 am
FrogsInPants wrote: ↑Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:02 am

Thank you.

It sounds almost electronic with the processing done. Not quite what I'm looking for - going for the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of heaviness and rawness. Though I guess my praise of the Moonkits would make it seem that I'm after a softer sound.

I'd be interested to see if there is such a thing. I've found samples of deadened 70s style drums but they've never been dead enough.
AD2 Vintage Dry is immense for that sort of stuff. Quite dead to begin with but you can also set envelopes/transients etc per drum.

Failing that there's a few 'tea-towel' kits around - NI 60s drummer has a set, there's a wavesfactory one, and also Pasttofuturesamples have the 'Ringo' kit.

donkey tugger wrote: ↑Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:18 am AD2 Vintage Dry is immense for that sort of stuff. Quite dead to begin with but you can also set envelopes/transients etc per drum.

Failing that there's a few 'tea-towel' kits around - NI 60s drummer has a set, there's a wavesfactory one, and also Pasttofuturesamples have the 'Ringo' kit.
That Vintage Dry sounds nice and dusty. I like that. Snare could be a little less fuzzy but the sound is heading in a pleasantly muffled direction.

Those Wavesfactory Legacy drums definitely sound more like rehearsal studio drums - which is good. Not crazy about the Ringo drums though - definitely on the lighter side.

I think the Legacy drums impress me most out of those. I'll have to dive deeper on that one. Already using NI's 60s drums, as mentioned on the previous page - it's the only kit I use at present. :)

EDIT: Seems like Wavesfactory have a sale right now. It's actually the Classic Rock kit that sounds most inspirational to me, rather than the more muted Tea Towel kit.

https://www.wavesfactory.com/kontakt-li ... acy-drums/
Last edited by Unaspected on Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unaspected wrote: ↑Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:03 am
That Vintage Dry sounds nice and dusty. I like that. Snare could be a little less fuzzy but the sound is heading in a pleasantly muffled direction.

A lot of the presets seem to use more of the bottom of the snare, but in AD2 you can set the balance and the top is much more of a dead sound.

donkey tugger wrote: ↑Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:17 am
Unaspected wrote: ↑Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:03 am That Vintage Dry sounds nice and dusty. I like that. Snare could be a little less fuzzy but the sound is heading in a pleasantly muffled direction.
A lot of the presets seem to use more of the bottom of the snare, but in AD2 you can set the balance and the top is much more of a dead sound.
I was too slow at editing again.

Yeah. I think people tend towards the sizzle when mixing drums. I usually do. Though I've been trying to formulate a different sound of late. Could always be edited with an envelope of course.

vurt wrote: ↑Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:08 am
kontakt did the fills, if you held a note it would play a triple beat rather than the single sample it would if you put a single midi note in.
Actually that sort of thing is exactly why we need better drum sequencers, ideally built into DAWs. Easy triplets or fills in an intuitive way.

_leras wrote: ↑Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:22 pm
vurt wrote: ↑Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:08 am
kontakt did the fills, if you held a note it would play a triple beat rather than the single sample it would if you put a single midi note in.
Actually that sort of thing is exactly why we need better drum sequencers, ideally built into DAWs. Easy triplets or fills in an intuitive way.
At least in Cubase we don't have to program them on piano roll πŸ˜‚

I have: 1.000 (felt)
I use: 0 (known)

EnGee wrote: ↑Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:25 am
_leras wrote: ↑Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:17 am
EnGee wrote: ↑Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:45 am NI Drumlab
This one... Is actually brilliant!
Really?! I didn't like it at all! It sounds harsh and unbalanced to me. I don't know! I don't like it.
I think it's got a great range of drums in it. It is pretty clunky but not too hard to create a kit, or part of a kit.

I don't use the patterns in it and make mainly electronic music. I don't use it all the time, but I think it has some great kits and sounds.

_leras wrote: ↑Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:16 pm
EnGee wrote: ↑Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:25 am
_leras wrote: ↑Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:17 am
EnGee wrote: ↑Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:45 am NI Drumlab
This one... Is actually brilliant!
Really?! I didn't like it at all! It sounds harsh and unbalanced to me. I don't know! I don't like it.
I think it's got a great range of drums in it. It is pretty clunky but not too hard to create a kit, or part of a kit.

I don't use the patterns in it and make mainly electronic music. I don't use it all the time, but I think it has some great kits and sounds.
I might give it another go then. I still have it in Native Access, I think I had it from Komplete Select bundle. Anyway, I remember that I compared it with Studio Drummer few years ago and I liked Studio Drummer much more (I don't have NI Studio Drummer anymore).

Anyway, I listened to several drums in YouTube and then I picked one that I liked the most and it is FairFax Vol1 by Addictive Drums. XLN Audio did a great job as there are many styles (mostly done by effects) that has a very good range from very dry to full of effects! So, I can pick the most I think it goes with the music I want to make.

I liked also a lot Groove Agent 5 but the thing is Addictive Drums is doing the job better for me in much less size and RAM requirements. GA5 however, has tons of features and the "Kit" is very good kit indeed. The thing how much drums do you need?! I better focus on the minimum I can possibly install as it makes me concentrate more on the patterns and the feel of them.

EnGee wrote: ↑Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:03 pm The thing how much drums do you need?! I better focus on the minimum I can possibly install as it makes me concentrate more on the patterns and the feel of them.
That's what I try to do. I guess sometimes we're like grown up kids. We find what we already have boring.

JohnPativens wrote: ↑Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:09 am
EnGee wrote: ↑Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:03 pm The thing how much drums do you need?! I better focus on the minimum I can possibly install as it makes me concentrate more on the patterns and the feel of them.
That's what I try to do. I guess sometimes we're like grown up kids. We find what we already have boring.
Hmm. With such things in my mind as training with DCI corps and the region I live being where Latin based drum circles gather, influences of keyboardists utilizing those and other forms for orchestral, pure "wall of sound', or ethnic/poly rhythm aspects... I believe the correct answer is "at least 32".

BBFG# wrote: ↑Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:25 am
JohnPativens wrote: ↑Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:09 am
Hmm. With such things in my mind as training with DCI corps and the region I live being where Latin based drum circles gather, influences of keyboardists utilizing those and other forms for orchestral, pure "wall of sound', or ethnic/poly rhythm aspects... I believe the correct answer is "at least 32".
That sounds like the description of Hungary!

Return to β€œInstruments”