Tone2 or Parawave Rapid? Both with expansions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just make music man

Lectropunk aka influx808 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:00 pm I just make music man
you made the claim icarus was miles ahead, and i asked you a question, does it have analog drift? its pretty simple, a yes or no question. since if yes, im more inclined to look at icarus as an alternative, since i havent looked into that one yet. and analog drift is an important feature to me.

syntonica wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:49 pm Of the Tone2 synths, Warlock is actually my fave. It's small and sporty and the random patch feature is hands-down the best I've used.
Yes! This randomizer impressed me, too. Mostly usable sounds, sometimes one or two tweaks and it was a usable preset. The way it's done is predictable and good. If somebody likes those kinda sounds it produces it's a gold mine.

No hassle mate

astralprojection wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:08 pm you made the claim icarus was miles ahead, and i asked you a question, does it have analog drift? its pretty simple, a yes or no question. since if yes, im more inclined to look at icarus as an alternative, since i havent looked into that one yet. and analog drift is an important feature to me.
It doesn't.

tdm71 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:48 pm Tone2 synths with a bunch of expansion or the same for Rapid. Which one do you prefer/have and why?
Out of these, I prefer Spire.

;)

Hard comparision and maybe apples with pies.

IF I would "compare" Rapid with Tone2 Electra only.

Both "workstations" with different layers you can overlay.

All other Tone2 synths have completeyl different "targets", focusing on different sound generation options.

I wont see any sense to compare Icarus with Rapid for example (or Rayblaster).

Finally after years looking on it now I used the 50 % off for the actual sale for Rapid and really not disappointed at all but I am far from getting into it really.

Another very important thing chk071 kind of pointing too with his "I prefer Spire" is really maybe most important: what kind of music do you want to make ?

Spire: bought-sold-bought.....

Great synth, but simply not my style of music.

So: I definitely prefer Tone2 (even if Marcus is MUCH nearer to the Spire "styles" I dont like then his synths :lol:) AND now Rapid.

Maybe much more important too: the workflows. I am not after Rapid for all these years cause of the SOUNDS only but cause of the workflow, for example the presets on different levels, of course the layers and the simple (looking....) GUI.

On the other hand there is so much knowledge flowing in to these Tone2 synths and actually active devellopment after some more slow years thats really incredible.

Maybe most valuable part of the question: "Expansions" :clown:

As much as I love the Tone2 synths but the factory styles following mostly Marcus music taste....

Still waiting for the ONE Expansion to explore the options of the "play one note and get a song" opened up in Icarus 2 for anything not belonging to that modern stuff thats simply Marcus stuff....

But there are GREAT Expansion for any Tone2 synths, not only the official ones.

Rapid I cant judge so far, I am more then busy with the factory ones at the moment :hihi:

Vortifex wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:55 pm
astralprojection wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:08 pm you made the claim icarus was miles ahead, and i asked you a question, does it have analog drift? its pretty simple, a yes or no question. since if yes, im more inclined to look at icarus as an alternative, since i havent looked into that one yet. and analog drift is an important feature to me.
It doesn't.
thanks. so its not miles ahead imho.
Lectropunk aka influx808 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:48 pm No hassle mate
zzz... cop out reply

Yes but analog drift may not be important to everyone. So it may not be a criteria many even consider, I know I don't.
For me sound, gui/ease of use, presets, support, how often "improvements" are what I look for.
And for sure Big Tone presets being on Tone2 but not on Rapid where I am not too keen on the Factory Bank except some of Rene stuff gives Tone2 a big edge for me, but that clearly could just be for me.
rsp
sound sculptist

Of course. Maybe features of a synth is not important to everyone maybe just the sound is. I'm all for that. Everyone is different in what people like about a synth. I just felt saying it's miles ahead was a bit rough. Could just say you don't like the sound of it or you don't care about synth features.

astralprojection wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:33 pm
Lectropunk aka influx808 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:31 pm I had rapid too, when I got a new laptop I requested to help me put rapid on my new maschine but I didn't get a reply and they don't allow license transfer , I don't miss it but tone2 icarus is miles ahead and they have great support and free updates
does icarus have an analog drift function?
It does.
The description of the Lofi-Analog morphmode:

◦ Analog – The oscillator sounds like an analog one. It has a mufed sound and sufers from
drif and saturation. MORPH controls the amount of distortion.
TIP Select a sawtooth as waveform and use this mode together with the analog flters for
an authentic emulation of vintage synths.

https://www.tone2.com/handbook/Tone2_Icarus2.pdf
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Dencheg wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:05 am
astralprojection wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:33 pm
Lectropunk aka influx808 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:31 pm I had rapid too, when I got a new laptop I requested to help me put rapid on my new maschine but I didn't get a reply and they don't allow license transfer , I don't miss it but tone2 icarus is miles ahead and they have great support and free updates
does icarus have an analog drift function?
It does.
The description of the Lofi-Analog morphmode:

◦ Analog – The oscillator sounds like an analog one. It has a mufed sound and sufers from
drif and saturation. MORPH controls the amount of distortion.
TIP Select a sawtooth as waveform and use this mode together with the analog flters for
an authentic emulation of vintage synths.

https://www.tone2.com/handbook/Tone2_Icarus2.pdf
That's great! I wonder why one guy refused to answer and one guy said it didn't.
But thank you I will look into it more now hopefully it can replace the demo version of rapid :phones:

I think Rapid is leagues better in terms of sound quality, Tone2 synths all sound similar to me, idk why . Probably just me
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

pizzatime wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:27 pm If I could transfer you my Rapid license I would for free.. Bitwig The Grid can sound really similar to Rapid but can go way way deeper - Rapid is a bit of a jack of all trades master of none for me.. doesn't do anything really well.
Agreed...

I'd pick Icarus of the two. It does quite good resynthesis and it is worth it just for that for making interesting wavetables.

Can I stomach eating Ramen for the next three months because I purchased Rapid? That's pretty funny when you think about it, but maybe in the end, the sacrifice might be worth it.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Return to “Instruments”