FMR RNLA signal attenuation during bypass mode

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As the title suggests, I’m having some prettt substantial level issues running a signal through my RNLA, even in bypass mode. The attenuation is pretty severe- like 12-15dB I’d say, according to the meters on my mixer.

The unit was purchased new about a year ago and hasn’t been plugged in and used until now- although I’m skeptical that it’s hardware-related, as it seems to be functioning properly otherwise. I’m curious if there’s something else I’m overlooking?

I’m using the standard L/R inputs and outputs (not using the insert functionality). I’ve tried passim the input signal directly from my patchbay and mixer; I’ve also tried several routings to ensure it’s not bad a channel or cable. Furthermore, the aux sends Im feeding it from from the mixer are impedance balanced, so there isn’t an inverted polarity signal on the ‘cold’ pin- so I don’t think that’s the issue (same attenuation when fed from auxes, although this attenuation would only result in -6dB).

Lastly, I’m using 1/4” TS cables as inputs in all cases, and 1/4” TRS cables as outputs (as specified in the manual). I have a “Y” cable in the sidechain input that has a completed circuit (patchbay in normal setting)- and yes, I’ve tried removing the sidechain connection— to no avail.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by losangeles on Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

*double post

When you say “even in bypass mode”, do you mean with the RNLA powered off, or just with the bypass switch engaged? If not, have you tried that to see if it still attenuates the signal?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:09 am When you say “even in bypass mode”, do you mean with the RNLA powered off, or just with the bypass switch engaged? If not, have you tried that to see if it still attenuates the signal?
I originally meant powered on, with the bypass switch enabled. I did, however, just now retest with the cable removed and the same (dramatically attenuated) level is exhibited.

Hmmm… That seems to suggest a problem with a cable or something else in the signal chain and probably not the RNLA, unless maybe there’s a short in the hardwiring of its ins and outs?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:47 am Hmmm… That seems to suggest a problem with a cable or something else in the signal chain and probably not the RNLA, unless maybe there’s a short in the hardwiring of its ins and outs?
I was thinking that too, except there would be some anomies:
1) I’m using separate cables for separate L/R input and output pairs; the signal is being returned as even, so it would be odd if it were a cable issue since, in that case, I’d except an L or R channel to be hotter than another (indicating a bad cable- two bad cables seems so statistically unlikely, ha).

The manual for the RNLA indicates that it operates at 0 dBu nominal level, and the six sends on my mixer are at -2dBu, so the level shouldn’t be much lower due to that either (not to mention, the PFL signal is much hotter than that returned by the limiter). Lastly, the impedances don’t seem to be an issue either.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that special custom cables may be required for balanced outputs (here, my mixer/patchbay) to unbalanced inputs (RNLA).. could that be it?

What happens if you use it as an insert? Not that you can’t send signal to a compressor via aux sends but it’s not generally how compressors are used. Can you patch a source directly into the compressor and then out to your mixer or audio interface?

Edit: and I don’t mean the insert method they make available with the insert (tip send ring return) cable.

Also, you don’t need any custom cables to use the RNLA

dayjob wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:39 am What happens if you use it as an insert? Not that you can’t send signal to a compressor via aux sends but it’s not generally how compressors are used. Can you patch a source directly into the compressor and then out to your mixer or audio interface?

Edit: and I don’t mean the insert method they make available with the insert (tip send ring return) cable.

Thanks for your reply; I’m not sure how I could hook it up as an insert without the TRS method they describe in the manual (a TRS cable for bi directional signaling at the L/R insert inputs).

losangeles wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:51 pm
dayjob wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:39 am What happens if you use it as an insert? Not that you can’t send signal to a compressor via aux sends but it’s not generally how compressors are used. Can you patch a source directly into the compressor and then out to your mixer or audio interface?

Thanks for your reply; I’m not sure how I could hook it up as an insert without the TRS method they describe in the manual (a TRS cable for bi directional signaling at the L/R insert inputs).
You just go directly into the rnla from the source (synth or drum machine or whatever) and directly out. Or you use the insert on your mixer.

You’re confusing the cable issue. The single cable option of trs-> ts y cable is a convenience they built into the compressor so you have less patching to do but you don’t have to use it. Simply going directly into the inputs with TS cables then TRS at the outputs accomplish the same thing but with different cables.

What I’m asking is to not send to the compressor via aux sends on your mixer. Using the compressor as an insert which is how all compressors are supposed to be used. You generally don’t send a portion of the signal via aux sends. The compression is “inserted” in the signal path so it processes the entire signal

all i'm suggesting is to connect it in the most simple way as a means of trouble shooting your problem

TS cable on input TRS cable on output for each channel. nothing in the sidechain and patch it directly from the source not from the AUX sends of your mixer.

if you mixer has inserts on each channel you could also patch it in on 2 channels that way.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”