Super 8 R2: First VST3 plugin by Native Instruments!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ghettosynth
KVRAF
14136 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:37 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:12 am
ghettosynth wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:26 am
SebAV wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:01 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:42 pm Going back to Reaktor means no more working smoothly on touch screens and very little chance of resizing coming, since even the last kontakt update didn’t address that. I doubt Reaktor will. Whereas I thought maybe super 8 might get resizing. Also presets are more annoying for sure, and as an Novation SL user Reaktor isn’t good as you only same mappings per plugin.
SL user too, and Ableton Live. Reaktor & Reason have the same « shell issue » in that there is a layer, a « container » that hides the specific « module » inside them from the DAW and the controller so you can’t benefit from (far from perfect) kind of « hardware feeling » the DAW/Controller duet try to offer to you.
That’s why I try to stick to « autonomous » VSTs
That's why Maschine is where it's at for controlling Reaktor. For me, the best stuff to come out of NI has been done in Reaktor.
Reaktor and Komplete Kontrol keyboards are the same in that respet. 8 knobs, no buttons. Good for a few macro controls. Crap for full control of a synth like Monark or Super 8.
I don't find this to be the significant limitation that you do and, for me, the tradeoff is well worth it for the control that you get with Reaktor.

I guess what it comes down to is that I, perhaps selfishly, want NI to stop doing what they're not good at, and keep doing what they are good at. I'm totally fine with their effects being a part of guitar rig, their sample libraries being a part of Kontakt, and everything else, including effects and synths, being a part of Reaktor.

In fact, nothing would make me happier than to see them blend Reaktor and Kontakt into one uber-platform product. Then they can sell "expansion packs" to the masses all day long while they focus on revamping the U/I development tools for both of them.

User avatar
martiu
KVRist
398 posts since 23 Jan, 2022

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:35 pm

What version uses less cpu, the vst3 or the Reaktor ensemble?
:?

User avatar
gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
5443 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:42 pm

martiu wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:35 pm What version uses less cpu, the vst3 or the Reaktor ensemble?
The vst3 version is just a gui wrapper , reaktor is still doing all the dsp stuff, no optimised code etc…
It would surprise me if the cpu usage is less
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

User avatar
gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
5443 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:44 pm

[quote=ghettosynth post_id=8571280
In fact, nothing would make me happier than to see them blend Reaktor and Kontakt into one uber-platform product.
[/quote]
Horrible idea
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

User avatar
gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
5443 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:44 pm

ghettosynth wrote: In fact, nothing would make me happier than to see them blend Reaktor and Kontakt into one uber-platform product.
Horrible idea
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
22859 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:17 pm

ghettosynth wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:37 amand everything else, including effects and synths, being a part of Reaktor.
I'd be fine with that if they made it so Reaktor was invisible (unless the user wanted to edit it) and the ensembles acted the same as regular plugins... including having a good browser and easy to save presets etc.

I only infrequently use Reaktor synths cause they are clumsy. I go for plugins first cause they load faster and are easier to work with as far as the GUI, size, presets, etc. I quite like Prism for example, but rarely use it because it is stuck in the clunky Reaktor environment.

User avatar
digitalboytn
KVRAF
2633 posts since 8 Dec, 2008 from Global Cowboy

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:34 pm

pdxindy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:17 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:37 amand everything else, including effects and synths, being a part of Reaktor.
I'd be fine with that if they made it so Reaktor was invisible (unless the user wanted to edit it) and the ensembles acted the same as regular plugins... including having a good browser and easy to save presets etc.

I only infrequently use Reaktor synths cause they are clumsy. I go for plugins first cause they load faster and are easier to work with as far as the GUI, size, presets, etc. I quite like Prism for example, but rarely use it because it is stuck in the clunky Reaktor environment.
:tu:

Realtor is a playground for synth nerds,but that's not what I want when I am putting music together..

That's why it's not installed here...

There are so many other great options that are more direct and less clunky and frustrating to work with...

Simple is good for a simpleton like me 🌞
No auto tune...

ghettosynth
KVRAF
14136 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:11 pm

pdxindy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:17 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:37 amand everything else, including effects and synths, being a part of Reaktor.
I'd be fine with that if they made it so Reaktor was invisible (unless the user wanted to edit it) and the ensembles acted the same as regular plugins... including having a good browser and easy to save presets etc.

I only infrequently use Reaktor synths cause they are clumsy. I go for plugins first cause they load faster and are easier to work with as far as the GUI, size, presets, etc. I quite like Prism for example, but rarely use it because it is stuck in the clunky Reaktor environment.
They have so far to go to make that work well though. NI seems like a rudderless ship to me the last few years. When the 5.5 Reaktor update came out they seemed to be really trying to strengthen the product. Who knows, maybe VST3 + M1 forced them to do some significant maintenance. I'm not holding my breath.

SebAV
KVRist
151 posts since 31 Oct, 2015

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:56 pm

ghettosynth wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:37 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:12 am
ghettosynth wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:26 am
SebAV wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:01 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:42 pm Going back to Reaktor means no more working smoothly on touch screens and very little chance of resizing coming, since even the last kontakt update didn’t address that. I doubt Reaktor will. Whereas I thought maybe super 8 might get resizing. Also presets are more annoying for sure, and as an Novation SL user Reaktor isn’t good as you only same mappings per plugin.
SL user too, and Ableton Live. Reaktor & Reason have the same « shell issue » in that there is a layer, a « container » that hides the specific « module » inside them from the DAW and the controller so you can’t benefit from (far from perfect) kind of « hardware feeling » the DAW/Controller duet try to offer to you.
That’s why I try to stick to « autonomous » VSTs
That's why Maschine is where it's at for controlling Reaktor. For me, the best stuff to come out of NI has been done in Reaktor.
Reaktor and Komplete Kontrol keyboards are the same in that respet. 8 knobs, no buttons. Good for a few macro controls. Crap for full control of a synth like Monark or Super 8.
I don't find this to be the significant limitation that you do and, for me, the tradeoff is well worth it for the control that you get with Reaktor.

I guess what it comes down to is that I, perhaps selfishly, want NI to stop doing what they're not good at, and keep doing what they are good at. I'm totally fine with their effects being a part of guitar rig, their sample libraries being a part of Kontakt, and everything else, including effects and synths, being a part of Reaktor.

In fact, nothing would make me happier than to see them blend Reaktor and Kontakt into one uber-platform product. Then they can sell "expansion packs" to the masses all day long while they focus on revamping the U/I development tools for both of them.
We are talking about different things. You seem to want to play presets and have some controls over them, so 8 knobs (that can be called « macro » knobs as you can find on nearly every synth and DAW) whereas we want « full control » over parameters which means, even for such a « simple » synth like a minimoog emu, at least 24 parameters (so 3 pages of 8, more if you want to group them by types). The shell comes in the way when you change a module or add another one. Everything changes, you start from beginning.
A shell is great if the DAW is made for it. It’s not the case. Reason’s users know the power of the standalone version (if you’ve got the right controllers with good remote scripts, the latter is rare). Reason as a plugin is just a superfluous layer to use one at a time of its synths.

User avatar
Boy Wonder
KVRian
537 posts since 30 Jan, 2021

Post Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:07 am

digitalboytn wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:34 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:17 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:37 amand everything else, including effects and synths, being a part of Reaktor.
I'd be fine with that if they made it so Reaktor was invisible (unless the user wanted to edit it) and the ensembles acted the same as regular plugins... including having a good browser and easy to save presets etc.

I only infrequently use Reaktor synths cause they are clumsy. I go for plugins first cause they load faster and are easier to work with as far as the GUI, size, presets, etc. I quite like Prism for example, but rarely use it because it is stuck in the clunky Reaktor environment.
:tu:

Realtor is a playground for synth nerds,but that's not what I want when I am putting music together..

That's why it's not installed here...

There are so many other great options that are more direct and less clunky and frustrating to work with...

Simple is good for a simpleton like me 🌞
Yeah, I'm a simpleton, too. In the midst of a recording, slowing down to create the sound I hear in my head will be a definite buzz kill.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
22871 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:33 pm

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:42 pm
martiu wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:35 pm What version uses less cpu, the vst3 or the Reaktor ensemble?
The vst3 version is just a gui wrapper , reaktor is still doing all the dsp stuff, no optimised code etc…
It would surprise me if the cpu usage is less
Actually the VST3 version did get some optimizations - only active voices will consume CPU.

digidennis
KVRist
98 posts since 6 Jan, 2010

Post Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:05 am

How do I get the R2 VST3 version? I have Super 8 as a separate product (not part of a bundle/komplete whatever). But I cant seem to find a VST3 version ??

Return to “Instruments”