Which synthesizer is most suitable for ambient music?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

and should we let the dictionary people know?
nature
/ˈneɪtʃə/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: nature; plural noun: natures

the phenomena of the physical world collectively, including plants, animals, the landscape, and other features and products of the earth, as opposed to humans or human creations.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I recently had this in my inbox: https://reveal-sound.com/store/product/Starscape

Sounds pretty darn good to me, like everything from Spire. Some nice warm pads. And some nice cold ones. ;)

Just as a side note that isn't about the usual KVR pedant wars....

Something I used to do when creating an ambient track (or at least my version of ambient) was spend a while going through some sound sources and choosing sounds I felt would work together. This could be a huge preset flipping session in Omnisphere, loading up several instances of Kontakt with relevant instruments, a Duduk, a vocal library, some 'ethnic' instruments etc, back then it might have been a few channels of Alchemy too.

I guess in a similar way to a painter loading up their easel with tones and colours that they know they're going to use to create whatever image it was they wanted to create.

Neon Breath wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:22 am
a9k1tp wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:14 am
I understand the trend but Ambient is the easiest thing ever.
Share your ambient work to us so we can see and hear how « easy » to do ambient music is.
I do not produce or passionately enjoy ambient music as compared to conventional genres which includes relatively harder part - drums, melody and chord progressions.

I must say ambient helps me sleep sometimes, that's it. Are there any albums which are considered as masterpiece?

Share your ambient work to us so we can see and hear how « easy » to do ambient music is.
Here is what Adam Wiltzie (Stars of the Lid / A Winged Victory for the Sullen) has to say:

"I reckon one of the biggest misconceptions about minimal music through the years has been that it is too easy to create. Could not agree less. Unfortunately there is no guide book for this process. Only my ears and 20 years of failures in this department."

SpartanNoble wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:09 pm If everything is simplified, then the Omnisphere is enough for most ambient needs. It's just made for it :tu:
Otherwise, you can play with any synthesizer + reverb + fx

Matter of desire + taste + time :roll:
No problem if you don't have synths. All you need is granular fx and reverb. You can just put a sample through these and see if it makes sense to your ears.

a9k1tp wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:59 pm Are there any albums which are considered as masterpiece?
I don't know what others consider great, and I only check out ambient music now and then (made a playlist for when I'm in the mood to have it as background music). One that comes to mind is The Edge of a Fairytale, by Between Interval (it's on Spotify, if you use it).

I also love the soundtrack for the video game, Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The other day, I wanted to play it while students were working in my class, but I found a mix on Youtube of just its more ambient tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MVcJDzX-OU
Last edited by Dirtgrain on Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Biotek 2 with the X Y blending in samples and other sounds is the most ambient synth I have ever used. It takes work but if you demo the synth and just play with the x y you'll know what I mean.

Also I really find each synthesizer just makes certain sounds easier to get. A pad I make myself give me Diva, if it's really a complex sound give me Falcon and if it's a simple sound give me Hive 2.
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

Dirtgrain wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:13 pm
a9k1tp wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:59 pm Are there any albums which are considered as masterpiece?
I don't know what others consider great, and I only check out ambient music now and then (made a playlist for when I'm in the mood to have it as background music). One that comes to mind is The Edge of a Fairytale, by Between Interval (it's on Spotify, if you use it).

I also love the soundtrack for the video game, Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The other day, I wanted to play it while students were working in my class, but I found a mix on Youtube of just its more ambient tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MVcJDzX-OU
And Their Refinement of the Decline is the safest choice one can imagine.

a9k1tp wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:59 pm
I do not produce or passionately enjoy ambient music as compared to conventional genres which includes relatively harder part - drums, melody and chord progressions.

I must say ambient helps me sleep sometimes, that's it. Are there any albums which are considered as masterpiece?
"The Dream Merchant" is a concept ambient album. It tells the story (wordlessly) of an android and human captain on their way in a cargo ship to drop supplies off on a mining colony on Jupiter. The android, awakening from cryosleep, experienced dreams and believes he's human after all. The captain, fearful of doubting and correcting the now angry and powerful android, agrees to put him back into cryosleep to continue his dreams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd7xX7I ... IEbm-wMiMw
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:17 pm
ancient7 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:45 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:07 pm
ancient7 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:21 pm Or: Ambient represents pure nature.
Not in a city it doesnt.
A city is nature too.
so what isnt nature, then?
Nothing...

ancient7 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:44 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:17 pm
ancient7 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:45 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:07 pm
ancient7 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:21 pm Or: Ambient represents pure nature.
Not in a city it doesnt.
A city is nature too.
so what isnt nature, then?
Nothing...
Then its a redundant word, and your usage is utterly pointless.

Ambient represents nothing.

Nothing is nothing!

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:47 pm Nothing is nothing!
True.

Return to “Instruments”