Tone2 or Parawave Rapid? Both with expansions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Markus Krause wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:17 am
Very easy to emulate analog drift in Icarus (and most synths) by using a slow LFO on the fine pitch control.
thats not what analog drift is. it is the constant flow of the oscillators, they are not fixed but drifting both to the left and to the right. can be seen on an oscilloscope easily. its not easy to emulate using an lfo, since it drifts faster, slower, left, right... and its not the same as random phase either. so either a synth has this function or not..
what you are talking about is the fact that old analog synths go out of tune and arent fully on pitch. so i suppose its ALSO a form of analog drift. but its drifting on pitch whereas i mean drifting of phase/the actual waveform. and using an lfo to do that sounds way too sterile imo.
You do not seem to be familiar with Icarus and did not do sound design with it. Otherwise you would know that Icarus offers also very complex LFOs as well two MSEGs. The LFO waveforms include also filtered-noise and smoothed waveforms which can be set to a random phase on noteOn. This works very well for emulating drift.
i think you misunderstood, i have not yet tried icarus!
was just replying to the guy who said you can simulate this using an lfo to control pitch, and i tried to explain thats not what i mean with drift, wasnt looking for an organic sounding vibrato :)

You're correct for a conventional synth that is limted to sine and triangle waves for the LFO. But it's not true for Icarus

and im very much looking forward to trying out icarus :)

Markus Krause wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:07 am
I'd really love is if there was a Random+- modulation source
This makes sense. I'll check out if it can be added in a future update
I'm happy that unipolar was implemented as standard, but wouldn't turn my nose up a bipolar option either :)
Always Read the Manual!

Markus Krause wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:07 am
I'd really love is if there was a Random+- modulation source
This makes sense. I'll check out if it can be added in a future update
Nice! That would be so handy. thanks.

Markus Krause wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:21 am You're correct for a conventional synth that is limted to sine and triangle waves for the LFO. But it's not true for Icarus
I'd like to use the topic to tease Markus little bit (hope not actually:) to insist again at least for mod wheel attachment/modulation for mix knob - improvized video about how sweet and dynamic sound become when move that specific knob - that's my early Christmas wish :)
I had no idea how brutal Icarus filters are,before to start mixing them with other of my favorite synths.:)
Some users ask for cosmetic changes,other for functions,buttons so on - my humble request is better dynamics via more modulations,so to continue upgrade my noninear dynamics technology.
Watch the video and hear what i'm saying,do not imagine it :)
Cheers :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jntyRlFvvw

Tone 2 synths and support are superb! Have them all - Current favs are Nemesis, Rayblaster and icarus

The tide has swung to tone2 🤔

I go way back with Tone2, maybe 20 years or so. I'm glad to see they've survived and are thriving because I've always liked their sound.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

C-note wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:29 pm Tone 2 synths and support are superb! Have them all - Current favs are Nemesis, Rayblaster and icarus
Just bought Rayblaster... always liked it but never got around to buying it. Honestly, didn't really need it, but since all the recent Icarus updates have been free, it was a chance to send a bit of cash towards Tone2. I'll find some use for it.

Icarus is one of a short list of synths I use regularly.

I couldn't find much in terms of tutorials for Tone2 Gladiator.

I would go for Tone2 Warlock. Back in 2012 (I think) I hated Gladiator due to these home calls which crashed my DAW, and I leaved the company. But now they removed any annoyance for the owner.

I've demoed Icarus, Electra, Rapid and Warlock.

I disliked Electra because it shares the same UI space for filter&amp ADSR, and due to the lack of stereo oscillators for hypersaws.

Icarus was OK for me. But maybe it has too many things I would never use. Also, the UI is a bit slow when you open it. And for oscillator unisons, it consumes a lot of CPU compared to Warlock.

Rapid. I liked the interface, but I wans't able to get a good sound as fast as I did with Tone2 synths or Spire. edit: and I didn't get a reply about it's copy protection, but I think it's invasive judging by KVRAudio Database, C/R.

Warlock is almost perfect for me. I gives me a wide amount of sounds, with a very low CPU usage. And they sound good, very good. However it isn't perfect, I miss few things. The most important is per voice effects which may be assigned to the third ADSR (for a second filter) o a second simple filter/eq (to make interesting things if filter 1 has a weird filter type like FM or RM), a knob for apply variable amounts of spectrum modifiers, ADSR tension, unison stereo wide knob, new static loop modes (like static25, 50 and 75) to pick another point from the wavetable... and the least important, maybe a couple of extra skins... because Warlock becomes my go-to synth and I have several instances in my screen.

Markus Krause wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:14 am Icarus natively supports analog drift.
On the oscillator synthesis/morph mode select 'lo-fi'->'analog'.
The MORPH knob controls the amount of analog saturation and drift.
Hi, unfortunately I could not get this to work. All the morph mode seems to do is fatten up the saw wave; but not actually drifting it. Im not sure maybe if we are talking about two different things, what I mean is that the oscillator itself drifts to the right slowly, increasing speed randomly... stops, goes the other way... stops goes the other way... So nothing that you can really do with an LFO since it would be either too uniform, or too random/steppy. Or maybe it IS doing that but I just cant hear it or see it on the oscilloscope. Ill try saurus!

I just tried it an it works as expected.
Please note: You can hear drift only if more than one oscilator is playing.

1) Press INIT-> Init patch
2) In OSC1 click on 'None/ Partial' and select LoFi->analog
3) In OSC2 click on 'None/ Partial' and select LoFi->analog
4) Click on the ON button on OSC2 to switch on the second OSC

Return to “Instruments”