VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vanguard

Cyforce wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:47 pm

Btw... also working a bit on some "retro" skins:

This is beautiful!

I didn`t expect such positive feedback on the skins. it`s lovely to see!
:tu:
wangeroge wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:23 amWill these automatically work with Nexus, too?
Vanguard & Nexus are 2 different plugins. These one`s are for Vanguard, so they will work only on Vanguard.
syntonica wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:49 pmReaper needs customization. It's original skin is one only a mother could love.

But with Reaper, it's more about customizing workflow. Time spent now saves tons of time later. I can't use Logic anymore as I spend more time hunting down where Apple put stuff than .i do actually making tracks...
Some years ago, there was also a skin/UI theme pack for Reaper, don`t know if it works with the newest version. WhiteTie or so was it`s name.
astralprojection wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:09 pm I'm confused 😕 does skins really change how you guys make music? I'm very honest I absolutely don't get it.
Well, understandable viewpoint on the one hand. On the other - if a skin/different UI style makes the work with the plugin more enjoyable or inspiring - using the plugins makes more joy, a better experience. Simple comparison:
Ableton Live default UI look (e.g. there Analog synth) - it looks minimalistic, easy to use... = ok to use.
UAD Polymax - not minimalistic, more "analog" visual feel, smoother & inviting color palette etc - feels more pleasant to look at it, and so also more pleasant to work with it.
I guess if people have the choice between Ableton Default look and something with more detail/Look - the majority will choose the second option.

You should swap your skins with Refx for a Nexus preset bundle. :tu:
If you plan on purchasing your first Universal Audio hardware, you can get a free additional plugin. Just send a PM.

kraster wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:10 pm

This is beautiful!
Very nice. Even though the skin is white-ish, it doesn't hurt my eyes. At least the fonts are easy to read.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

A few pages back, somebody said you can modify the color code to change the grey lettering to white. Can anyone give this poor lonesome boy some step-by-step directions? Thanks.

Boy Wonder wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:27 am A few pages back, somebody said you can modify the color code to change the grey lettering to white. Can anyone give this poor lonesome boy some step-by-step directions? Thanks.
Find you Vanguard content folder. There is a skins folder inside. Make a text file named WhiteText.json with the following contents:

Code: Select all

{
	"panel": {
		"colors": { "label": "#ffffffff" }
	}
}
Then switch Vanguard to the WhiteText skin.

FigBug wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:32 am
Boy Wonder wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:27 am A few pages back, somebody said you can modify the color code to change the grey lettering to white. Can anyone give this poor lonesome boy some step-by-step directions? Thanks.
Find you Vanguard content folder. There is a skins folder inside. Make a text file named WhiteText.json with the following contents:

{
	}
}
Worked. Like. A. Charm.

I thank you. My deceased parents thank you, and everyone in a ten-block radius of my house thanks you.

In case anyone wants to know where the skins folder is in Windows 11: Windows>Users>Public>Public Documents>reFX>VANGUARD library

Teksonik wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:06 pm
grymmjack wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:47 pm Teksonik Vanguard2 bank soon ? :)

(hi)
Hi Rick, good to see you again. :tu:

I don't know about a Vanguard 2 bank. I loaded up my old version one bank and am not impressed but that was 14 years ago so maybe I've gotten better since then. :P
Hahah I KNOW EXACTLY what you mean. I'm going to make a video soon on Vanguard2 and release sector7 bank again but yeah.. :cringe-emoji: :)

Good to see you too.

BenfordLaw wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:03 pm...
I would like to know if it's possible to change the font colours too, before I even consider buying it.
You can copy/duplicate the "Classic Grey" skin, and modify the font of the labels with regular #.... color code. If the contrast is too weak etc.

In the past, there were many additional skins by others available for Vanguard by others (not directly by Refx), so I guess there will be plenty of skins with a different touch or better color contrasts etc.

LOVE the JP one. Can you please share? :)

Cyforce wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:32 am Image

1-2 more unfinished ones on the hard drive, when all of them done - I will upload them for free download :wink:
You rock!

{
	}
}
BAD ASS! they use RGBA hex? Is the skinning open to all? FigBug your work is fantastic!

grymmjack wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:32 pm

{
	}
}
BAD ASS! they use RGBA hex? Is the skinning open to all? FigBug your work is fantastic!
We haven’t published a spec, but you should be able to look at the classic skin and figure most of it out. The colours are kinda like css, you can use hex codes, or names.

What is the appeal of this synth other than nostalgia? I seem to remember trying the original and not being particularly impressed but that was a long time ago

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:44 pm What is the appeal of this synth other than nostalgia? I seem to remember trying the original and not being particularly impressed but that was a long time ago
Seems to be one of those classic Trance machines, think Sylenth1, Spire and the likes. I never owned it, so, I can't tell how it sounds exactly, but, judging by the sound demos, I though I'd give it a pass, also considering that it seems to be pretty limited, and lacks a demo version.

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:44 pm What is the appeal of this synth other than nostalgia? I seem to remember trying the original and not being particularly impressed but that was a long time ago
I'd say it's the blend of nostalgia, simplicity, and its unique sound. At the time of its release, its trancegate was a somewhat unique feature that was very fitting at the time (I think it's still cool, but I'm a totally out-of-touch-with-modern-EDM dork, so whatever). It's not a synth that is going to contend with Omnisphere, or Zebra, or Falcon, etc., and it's not trying to replicate any vintage synths like every other synth these days, so you really have to love it for what it is and not for what it isn't. I guess as far as which niche it fills, maybe it's in a similar position as Tone2 Firebird and similar synths that are relatively simple by today's standard, but still sound good, are easy on the CPU, have a quick and easy workflow, and do some things very well.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Return to “Instruments”