Interface vs digital mixer for recording/mixing

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The other option that I don't think was mentioned here is to digitally expand whatever interface you have now or decide to go with in the future. I bought an Apollo Twin X a while back and expanded it with a Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre (1U 8-channel rackmount mixer with ADAT). Earlier this year, I added an Apollo X6, so my Twin X is now TB-daisychained (allows me to use the additional inputs and the big control knob to set overall level), and the OctoPre is now expanding the X6. This option is very flexible, has worked flawlessly for me, and can be done with many other brands/models (i.e., not just a UAD feature). Also, Behringer makes a similar ADAT rackmount mixer that is even cheaper than the OctoPre.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

It might be possible for him to use his Scarlett as an expander for a Twin. Just route the analog inputs directly to the optical outputs. Can a Scarlett 18i20 do that without latency?

Uncle E wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:23 pm It might be possible for him to use his Scarlett as an expander for a Twin. Just route the analog inputs directly to the optical outputs. Can a Scarlett 18i20 do that without latency?
Yeah, that does seem like a possibility. I sold my old MOTU 828mk3 interface to a guy after I bought my Twin X and it never occurred to me that I could do that (although at the time, I didn't anticipate needing as many additional inputs). I incidentally ran into the same guy a while later when I bought a synth from him (small world, eh?) and he told me that that's exactly why he bought my 828 and it worked great as an expander for his Apollo. If I had thought about that before selling it, I probably would have just kept it. :dog:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:13 pm The other option that I don't think was mentioned here is to digitally expand whatever interface you have now or decide to go with in the future. I bought an Apollo Twin X a while back and expanded it with a Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre (1U 8-channel rackmount mixer with ADAT). Earlier this year, I added an Apollo X6, so my Twin X is now TB-daisychained (allows me to use the additional inputs and the big control knob to set overall level), and the OctoPre is now expanding the X6. This option is very flexible, has worked flawlessly for me, and can be done with many other brands/models (i.e., not just a UAD feature). Also, Behringer makes a similar ADAT rackmount mixer that is even cheaper than the OctoPre.
I’m really glad you responded because this was something I saw that wondered would work. However, beforehand, I may have omitted (unintentionally) a detail that may make a difference in suggestions:

I mainly work with hardware and software synths, as well as samples. So I don’t really die any mic/instrument level recording. Mostly, I use my analog mixer to sum my hardware sources (if needed), route to effects, aux busses for combined effects, or use some hardware compressors I have. I can also get some nice distortion from my AH gains. On the other end, I sometimes port my tracks from the DAW to the hardware for effects or analog character too, but seldom all at once- I have eight dedicated mixer input channels connected to my patch bay, so I can selectively route any tracks or busses to the hardware (rarely do I need all of them individually- and if I do I originally planned to send them out s couple snd s time and just record them, repeat, etc..

Given this, would the higher end audio interfaces like RME/Apollo still provide benefit to me over less expensive interface or digital mixers?

The digital mixer is out of the question in that case. The sonic improvements you’re currently enjoying from your analog console will be lost. The SSL BiG SiX will give you an even better version of that sound.

If I were in your shoes, I would get the BiG SiX. The Apollo is good for me because I’ve been using their stuff for over 20 years and already own most of the plugins. You’d be looking at spending thousands on plugins just to get going and the BiG SiX would still sound better.

Uncle E wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:19 pm The digital mixer is out of the question in that case. The sonic improvements you’re currently enjoying from your analog console will be lost. The SSL BiG SiX will give you an even better version of that sound.

If I were in your shoes, I would get the BiG SiX. The Apollo is good for me because I’ve been using their stuff for over 20 years and already own most of the plugins. You’d be looking at spending thousands on plugins just to get going and the BiG SiX would still sound better.

Yeah, I was leaning toward a mixer and that definitely seems like an upgrade (and I prefer some physical controls, too, without having to buy a dedicated DAW controller).

Lastly, just for clarification and justification, is a big part of the reason you suggest that because of the analog nature of the Big Six as a positive, or because many of the plug-ins of UAD such as compressors and such are more suited for mics/instruments and non-line level tracking (if that’s even true)? I’m guessing it’s both, but curious as to whether expensive plugins would have as dramatic of an effect over instruments such as synths (vocals I could understand, but not sure here, hence why I’m asking).

The SSL is exceptional, from the EQ’s to the compressors to the mix buss. Just buy it from somewhere that will let you return it if it doesn’t completely blow you away. Your Allen & Heath is good but it’s not in the same league as SSL, Neve, and API. Apollo plugins are in the same league but real SSL, Neve, or API are still better, plus you would have to spend more than the SSL to get it.

Uncle E wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:28 pm The SSL is exceptional, from the EQ’s to the compressors to the mix buss. Just buy it from somewhere that will let you return it if it doesn’t completely blow you away. Your Allen & Heath is good but it’s not in the same league as SSL, Neve, and API. Apollo plugins are in the same league but real SSL, Neve, or API are still better, plus you would have to spend more than the SSL to get it.
Gotcha, thanks for all the info and clarification 🙏

As long those digital mixer/interface combos do not allow to use the faders as controller for the DAW, it makes more sense to use a combo of controllers and interface. Console 1, as had been mentioned already.
Non of those mixer/interfaces has enough outputs. I usually need at least 8 for multichannel distribution…

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”