Iron Man Carmichael - prog?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Soliciting feedback before mastering this. I've shared it with a few people,who have said it had a proggy vibe. That's not what I was going for, but I do listen to music like that. Mostly I was testing out some new libraries and instruments (Pearl malletSTATION) amongst other stuff. Critique away. I'm thick-skinned and aware of my limitations. https://soundcloud.com/user-184873854/i ... carmichael

Proggy like in "prog rock"? It is difficult to answer because there is so much different eras of prog rock from early 70s Yes to 80s King Crimson. I dont think I hear prog rock. It seems to have indie vibe to me.

good luck

AntonioB wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:46 pm Proggy like in "prog rock"? It is difficult to answer because there is so much different eras of prog rock from early 70s Yes to 80s King Crimson. I dont think I hear prog rock. It seems to have indie vibe to me.

good luck
th
Yes, prog rock. I only shared this with a handful of folks, and three of them said it reminded them of Yes, which I can't imagine, nor was it in any way my intention. The vocals maybe? Thanks so very much for listening.
Windows 10, Reaper

stephenpaulharper wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:22 pm
AntonioB wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:46 pm Proggy like in "prog rock"? It is difficult to answer because there is so much different eras of prog rock from early 70s Yes to 80s King Crimson. I dont think I hear prog rock. It seems to have indie vibe to me.

good luck
th
Yes, prog rock. I only shared this with a handful of folks, and three of them said it reminded them of Yes, which I can't imagine, nor was it in any way my intention. The vocals maybe? Thanks so very much for listening.
Upon closer listen.. it could be. I think anything more intricate and complicated melodically and rhythmically could be that. Its a track that has lots of changes and sections.. so does go into the prog realm so to speak.

AntonioB wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:52 pm
stephenpaulharper wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:22 pm

good luck
th
Upon closer listen.. it could be. I think anything more intricate and complicated melodically and rhythmically could be that. Its a track that has lots of changes and sections.. so does go into the prog realm so to speak.
t
Yes, that's probably it. It does have a 9/8 section, and there are some modulations that aren't so typical. Most of what I come up with comes from jamming on the drums. And I did listen to a lot of Phil Collins and Bill Bruford back in the day. I really appreciate you listening and giving feedback.
Windows 10, Reaper

It certainly is Prog, but which sub-genre, I'm not sure. The horns give a somewhat jazzy influence, which is common in some sub-genres of Prog. Prog Archives has a lot of sub-genres listed, you might check out some of them. https://www.progarchives.com/
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

DocAtlas wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:54 pm It certainly is Prog, but which sub-genre, I'm not sure. The horns give a somewhat jazzy influence, which is common in some sub-genres of Prog. Prog Archives has a lot of sub-genres listed, you might check out some of them. https://www.progarchives.com/
Thanks very much for listening. Yes, I'd just gotten a new horn library and was keen to try it out. But yeah, there are prog bands with horns. Eskseption comes to mind, and then a lot of Zeuhl stuff, but this certainly isn't Zeuhl. I guess my point was, I didn't intend to do something proggy, but I guess I can't escape the influences of my youth. Thanks again, and yes, I'm vey familiar with prog archives.
Windows 10, Reaper

I like prog! Is there a link?

magog wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:04 am I like prog! Is there a link?
h
ttps://www.progarchives.com/
Windows 10, Reaper

Oh I know about progarchives - I was asking about the piece you were working on.

magog wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:53 am Oh I know about progarchives - I was asking about the piece you were working on.
Oh, that's the tune I posted here at the top. Some say it's proggy.
Windows 10, Reaper

Does it really matter to you if it's prog rock or not?

In any case, I'm surprised: You rarely hear such "progressive" music here
on KVR. The wind instruments give the track a rather strange character,
the vocals are similar to those on "Yes" in the 70's. The most interesting
thing about it is this completely new compilation, which is second to
none - and is still very felicitous. Excellent! :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

enroe wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:21 am Does it really matter to you if it's prog rock or not?

In any case, I'm surprised: You rarely hear such "progressive" music here
on KVR. The wind instruments give the track a rather strange character,
the vocals are similar to those on "Yes" in the 70's. The most interesting
thing about it is this completely new compilation, which is second to
none - and is still very felicitous. Excellent! :tu:
Thanks very much for listening. No, it doesn't matter if it's prog rock or not. I certainly didn't intend for it be in that genre though. But the few people I shared it with beforehand all said it reminded them of Yes and Genesis. Admittedly, those are bands I grew up with, but this tune was just something I came up with, with no specific genre in mind. My tastes run from de Machaut to Public Enemy, so I have a pretty diverse palette to choose from. I very much appreciate you listening and offering feedback.
Windows 10, Reaper

I think the vocals are getting lost in the mix and the drums are too loud. I think the mix should be revisited.

The vocal style of repeatedly holding notes is a bit strange and takes some getting used to. On the plus side, this sounds quite original to me.

Frantz wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:33 pm The vocal style of repeatedly holding notes is a bit strange and takes some getting used to.
You may not be familiar with old Yes records. It was a defining element of the genre at the time. Check out Soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXnj64o198A

Return to “Music Cafe”