Siren Audio Generative 2 - Unable To Authorize

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Generative 2 is a generative granular synthesizer ... and I have a legitimate copy of the program that I purchased from the developer via his website www.sirenaudio.co.uk

The problem is that often Windows 10 updates invalidate the authorization. When that happens and ya try to run the program ... a dialog box pops up and displays a password number and asks for an authorization code. To get an authorization code you have to submit the password to the developer ... and in turn he will send you the authorization code. Unfortunately the authorization code is dependent on the password ... and the password is different every time Windows 10 updates and causes the dialog box to present itself ... so none of my prior authorization codes will work.

But the real problem is ... the website for Generative 2 has been pulled down and is for sale ... and I've been unable to reach the developer to get a new authorization code. His first name is Mike but I dunno his last name or an alternate email address that he uses.

So ... I have a perfectly good little instrument ... but because I need a new authorization code ... I'm dead in the water because I have no way to contact the developer.

If anyone has any insight on this problem or any leads to the developer ... your help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

KenB

Am in exactly the same boat. I did find an email from Mike who sent me the authorisation code back in 2016, but trying it again now, just says invalid password. Shame you didn't get any response to this, and bigger shame we can't access this software that we bought.
Why not try some amazing fractal graphics for your art? I've got a site all about them at JWildfire Sanctuary

Yeah ... Mike left us high and dry. Rather pisses me off ...

Generative 2 is the only software I own that has to be reauthorized time after time after time by direct contact with the developer due to Windows updates, quirks with the software itself and I assume the software's habit of thinking it has been installed on a new system again and again. Every time I opened it up I never knew if it was gonna work because of this.

I remember demoing Generative and Feedback, both of which i liked but never did purchase. I also remember that on his site there was a link to govt agencies or something really strange. I think he was doing some contract work for the US?
It's a bummer that devs don't often open source (or sell on, pass on, whatever) projects when they tank.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

TexLoco5 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:05 am Yeah ... Mike left us high and dry. Rather pisses me off ...

Generative 2 is the only software I own that has to be reauthorized time after time after time by direct contact with the developer due to Windows updates, quirks with the software itself and I assume the software's habit of thinking it has been installed on a new system again and again. Every time I opened it up I never knew if it was gonna work because of this.
Exactly ! I had a few years break with audio, and many updates since then. Seems crazy that this was the protection put in place. I just wish I knew enough code to get in there and bypass it. I did several mixes with it, now I can't access, I can't tweak how I wanted. If people take money and close, there should be a legacy solution.
Why not try some amazing fractal graphics for your art? I've got a site all about them at JWildfire Sanctuary

CrystalWizard wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:28 am I remember demoing Generative and Feedback, both of which i liked but never did purchase. I also remember that on his site there was a link to govt agencies or something really strange. I think he was doing some contract work for the US?
It's a bummer that devs don't often open source (or sell on, pass on, whatever) projects when they tank.
It's that long ago, can't remember his site. I remember he replied quickly when the author code didn't work after an update. Totally agree what you say about devs because you build up a base of users who pay, then leave them with a non working product.

Is it Max/MSP based?

I have no clue if it's Max/MSP based. The way the thing work's is if the program wouldn't accept your authorization code it would spit out a password. You then had to email the password to the developer and in turn he would email you a new authorization code. As I recall the developer said he was using an authorization system based on Mac protocol. The app is a twitchy little thing and was always needing to be reauthorized ... which was an inconvenience to both the user and the developer.

I am fairly sure they are Max based. Definitely were a bit buggy on my machine also.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:36 pm Is it Max/MSP based?
I think from memory it was Max/MSP based. Curious to know if that means there may be a solution?

And this is exactly the problem why don't like challenge/response copy protection schemes. I'm normally not an advocate for more laws or state interference, but this should be addressed. There is a need for customer protection laws preventing these situations. Maybe we should start discussing ways how to do it, the law-making and the technical side.

The Wayback machine confirms its a Max/MSP application.
https://web.archive.org/web/20190117212 ... dio.co.uk/
Its seems he couldn't upgrade to Max 8, as the last version of the site claims its not compatible with High Sierra...
I guess it was made in Max 7 or an even older version. You can still download the demo from the Wayback machine.
I could extract the collective from the application, but it crashes Max 8 on my M2. I'll try later on my Intel Mac Pro...
Copy protection with applications in that price range is stupid. Half of the developing effort is going into it (if its effective) and there are enough honest users to support it anyway...

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:23 am I could extract the collective from the application, but it crashes Max 8 on my M2. I'll try later on my Intel Mac Pro...

Copy protection with applications in that price range is stupid. Half of the developing effort is going into it (if its effective) and there are enough honest users to support it anyway...
That's so true, and thanks so much for looking into this. I've no idea what extracting the collective is, but if it helps this problem that would be amazing. I've another app that was developed with Max 8 but that keeps crashing. Have contacted the devs.

Just as a follow up, never did get round this problem. I found Sample Modulator A, which is a Reaktor Ensemble and to all intents and purposes does the same thing.

Return to “Instruments”