3am - detritus (another modular synth performance)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:20 am
justin3am wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:26 am Let me know if you ever use a sound of mine, so that I can sample you, sampling me and reach a whole new level of meta!
Great! 3 samples from this video used here:

https://soundcloud.com/jrrshop/sunset-j ... al_sharing
Sounds really good! I'll try to chop this up over the weekend!

tomtom1 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:38 am feels a bit like boards of canada's. at least the bass reminds me of it. the synths sound really nice and fat. I wonder if you could do it just as well with software synths... somehow I doubt it. I'm not sure if my perception is playing tricks on me. but somehow hardware sounds different.

:tu:
Thanks for listening! I think I could probably get these sounds with software or at least a similar quality in the mix. While I use a lot of hardware, it's mostly the interface and the immediacy I prefer. Software and hardware sound different for sure but so do two different pieces of hardware. I've done tracks where I'm using Bazille, ACE or Aalto as much as the hardware modular and I think anyone would be hard pressed to pick out which is which.

When folks start doing like forensic analysis of the differences... eh, I just don't care enough about that. I'm just grateful that I can use basically whatever tools I like. I think it's more important to find something you like to use and stick with it and explore every corner/boundary of it's capabilities. I also think people might be surprised at the imperfections in my recordings that I never fix because it makes up some of the character.

yeah that was pretty awesome!
lots of nice bloops n bleeps, but with a structure and flow 8)

pussy shots get views :hihi:

justin3am wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:04 pm
tomtom1 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:38 am feels a bit like boards of canada's. at least the bass reminds me of it. the synths sound really nice and fat. I wonder if you could do it just as well with software synths... somehow I doubt it. I'm not sure if my perception is playing tricks on me. but somehow hardware sounds different.

:tu:
Thanks for listening! I think I could probably get these sounds with software or at least a similar quality in the mix. While I use a lot of hardware, it's mostly the interface and the immediacy I prefer. Software and hardware sound different for sure but so do two different pieces of hardware. I've done tracks where I'm using Bazille, ACE or Aalto as much as the hardware modular and I think anyone would be hard pressed to pick out which is which.

When folks start doing like forensic analysis of the differences... eh, I just don't care enough about that. I'm just grateful that I can use basically whatever tools I like. I think it's more important to find something you like to use and stick with it and explore every corner/boundary of it's capabilities. I also think people might be surprised at the imperfections in my recordings that I never fix because it makes up some of the character.
wabi-sabi

:hail:

justin3am wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:30 pm
seismic1 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:12 pm Excellent stuff, and I really liked that bassline, but I think the cat was hungry :wink:

Good work :)
Thanks so much! I liked the bass part too. :D
At first I thought it sounded a little tacked on but I was glad that it worked in the end. It kinda holds things together.
Andromeda always looks hungry until you try to give her food... then her ruse is revealed and you discover she just wanted some pets or for someone to pick up the ribbon she likes to play with. :lol: Why the heck doesn't KVR have any cat emoticons?
For me, the bass and the woozy pad glues it together well. Groovy rhythm section. My favorite moment is at 1:55 -- a robot rattle snake slithers, speaks, and stamps for punctuation.

vurt wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:24 pm yeah that was pretty awesome!
lots of nice bloops n bleeps, but with a structure and flow 8)

pussy shots get views :hihi:
Thanks! It started as a drone session that just grew legs. :hihi:
lol, it’s true. Those fur balls get more attention than I do!

experimental.crow wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:03 pm
wabi-sabi

:hail:
Just so. I also like the idea that making music with a modular can be analogous to doing calligraphy on tissue paper.

Genetic_Junk wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:44 am For me, the bass and the woozy pad glues it together well. Groovy rhythm section. My favorite moment is at 1:55 -- a robot rattle snake slithers, speaks, and stamps for punctuation.
Thanks, I like that bit too. Also at 3:30 when things start to get more busy.
Since there are a lot of chance operations and less than deterministic interactions, it’s always surprising and exciting when patterns evolve and neat flourishes emerge. :D

This was very good und groovy song.

Thanks for listening!

Wow. This is lovely. Very weird modular sounds, but all held together enough with some structure. Good feel to it

Return to “Music Cafe”