Iron Man Carmichael - prog?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Frantz wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:33 pm I think the vocals are getting lost in the mix and the drums are too loud. I think the mix should be revisited.

The vocal style of repeatedly holding notes is a bit strange and takes some getting used to. On the plus side, this sounds quite original to me.
Thanks very much for listening and offering your feedback. I am not opposed to revisiting the mix, although no one has suggested adjusting the levels up until now. That said, I am a drummer before anything else, and we do tebd to like to hear ourselves prominently in a mix.

I take original as a high compliment, so thank you very much.
Windows 10, Reaper

stephenpaulharper wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:08 pm That said, I am a drummer before anything else, and we do tebd to like to hear ourselves prominently in a mix.
That explains it. I would say it's mixed so the drums are the lead instrument.

stephenpaulharper wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:30 am
magog wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:53 am Oh I know about progarchives - I was asking about the piece you were working on.
Oh, that's the tune I posted here at the top. Some say it's proggy.
Sorry - I can't see the link in your original post - that's why I was asking. I must be missing something obvious.

I would also add, a lot of "modern" mixes seem to be mixed so the bass and sub bass is the lead instrument. Sometimes, even things like the snare and drums just cuts thru the entire time. So having drums in the forefront does not really deviate from what is a "modern" mix. The complexity of the drum parts does though. I hear mostly very rudimentary drum parts in modern music that is "popular".

I recently read an article with Jerry Harrison who was involved in remixing new releases of old Talking Heads albums. They had to go in there and remix and bump up the drums and bass because on the original releases that Brian Eno did, those instruments were buried in the mix when compering them to the modern standards and aesthetics and they needed to be beefed up to resell to a modern listener. (for better or worse)

magog wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:46 pm
stephenpaulharper wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:30 am
magog wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:53 am Oh I know about progarchives - I was asking about the piece you were working on.
Oh, that's the tune I posted here at the top. Some say it's proggy.
Sorry - I can't see the link in your original post - that's why I was asking. I must be missing something obvious.
How about this? https://soundcloud.com/user-184873854/i ... carmichael
Windows 10, Reaper

Got it! Thanks. I think it was blocked by my adblocker

AntonioB wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:48 pm I would also add, a lot of "modern" mixes seem to be mixed so the bass and sub bass is the lead instrument. Sometimes, even things like the snare and drums just cuts thru the entire time. So having drums in the forefront does not really deviate from what is a "modern" mix. The complexity of the drum parts does though. I hear mostly very rudimentary drum parts in modern music that is "popular".

I recently read an article with Jerry Harrison who was involved in remixing new releases of old Talking Heads albums. They had to go in there and remix and bump up the drums and bass because on the original releases that Brian Eno did, those instruments were buried in the mix when compering them to the modern standards and aesthetics and they needed to be beefed up to resell to a modern listener. (for better or worse)
That seems kind of odd, as I didn't think any of those old Talking Heads records had a buried rhythm section. I'm 64 years old, so although I like a like of new music, I don't think I have a particularly modern view of composing, playing or mixing. This tune sprung from a drum jam, so maybe I just left something prominent that was always there.
Windows 10, Reaper

After listening, I would say that it's Prog, but not necessarily in the British tradition. I think it's more in line with an American implementation, maybe Zappa, particularly with the drum parts, in conjunction with the horn section.

Good work :)

seismic1 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:36 am After listening, I would say that it's Prog, but not necessarily in the British tradition. I think it's more in line with an American implementation, maybe Zappa, particularly with the drum parts, in conjunction with the horn section.

Good work :)
Thanks very much for listening and the feedback. Well, I am American, but listen to music from everywhere. That said, after The Beatles, British proggers - Gentle Giant, in particular, were my biggest influence. Thanks again.
Windows 10, Reaper

Gentle Giant are one of my favourites, although nobody else I knew listened to them in the '70s. King Crimson and Zappa are probably the two acts I have listened to the most during the last 45 years.

seismic1 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:54 am Gentle Giant are one of my favourites, although nobody else I knew listened to them in the '70s. King Crimson and Zappa are probably the two acts I have listened to the most during the last 45 years.
It's been said that Gentle Giant had a bigger fanbase outside of the UK. When I was a teen, nearly everybody in my circle of friends owned Playing The Fool, their live album. And yes, I've listened to endless hours of Zappa and King Crimson also, Genesis up to and including The Lamb was a huge favorite as well. But I like a variety of musics, and dislike the snobbery that some people have about certain genres. Thanks again for the feedback.
Windows 10, Reaper

seismic1 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:54 am Gentle Giant are one of my favourites, although nobody else I knew listened to them in the '70s. King Crimson and Zappa are probably the two acts I have listened to the most during the last 45 years.
Gentle Giant were amazing. But I think their music didn't translate very well to American audiences.

Great sounding track with a jazz/ Yes feel. I’d call it prog, there are genres of Prog it would fit in although I don’t bother with those.
It’s just cool music..
Well done!
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

stephenpaulharper wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:11 am
It's been said that Gentle Giant had a bigger fanbase outside of the UK. When I was a teen, nearly everybody in my circle of friends owned Playing The Fool, their live album. And yes, I've listened to endless hours of Zappa and King Crimson also, Genesis up to and including The Lamb was a huge favorite as well. But I like a variety of musics, and dislike the snobbery that some people have about certain genres. Thanks again for the feedback.
I sometimes think prog (the music itself) sort of burnt itself out by it's own over indulgence. I really didn't care much for the sc-fi concept albums in late 70s prog.

I think the music peaked around 75 (maybe even 74) and then it became a lot of costumes and stage antics but I am not sure I heard a great prog record made after 75. maybe I need to dig further.

There are some great albums from the last 20 years, just less mainstream.
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Return to “Music Cafe”