Iron Man Carmichael - prog?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Allomerus wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:20 am Great sounding track with a jazz/ Yes feel. I’d call it prog, there are genres of Prog it would fit in although I don’t bother with those.
It’s just cool music..
Well done!
:)
Thanks so much for listening and the feedback. I really appreciate it. Cheers.
Windows 10, Reaper

AntonioB wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:22 am
stephenpaulharper wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:11 am
seismic1 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:54 am Gentle Giant are one of my favourites, although nobody else I knew listened to them in the '70s. King Crimson and Zappa are probably the two acts I have listened to the most during the last 45 years.
It's been said that Gentle Giant had a bigger fanbase outside of the UK. When I was a teen, nearly everybody in my circle of friends owned Playing The Fool, their live album. And yes, I've listened to endless hours of Zappa and King Crimson also, Genesis up to and including The Lamb was a huge favorite as well. But I like a variety of musics, and dislike the snobbery that some people have about certain genres. Thanks again for the feedback.
I sometimes think prog (the music itself) sort of burnt itself out by it's own over indulgence. I really didn't care much for the sc-fi concept albums in late 70s prog.

I think the music peaked around 75 (maybe even 74) and then it became a lot of costumes and stage antics but I am not sure I heard a great prog record made after 75. maybe I need to dig further.
You make a good point. My favorite prog is early-to-mid 70s, atlhough there is progressive music I like up until about 1980. A bit before then, I began listening to bands like XTC, The Police, and Talking Heads. So that's the direction I went in. 1980s neo-prog bands like Marillion and IQ bored me to tears. There was still good progressive music being made, mostsly Zeuhl and RIO stuff, But with the exception of Cardiacs, not much interesting stuff was made for quite some time. Nowadays, progressive music has seemed to have found a nice niche, with the success of bands like black midi, and the popularity of math rock. I hope the lesson has been learned, and the self-indulgence is over with.
Windows 10, Reaper

stephenpaulharper wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:53 am
AntonioB wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:22 am
stephenpaulharper wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:11 am
seismic1 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:54 am Gentle Giant are one of my favourites, although nobody else I knew listened to them in the '70s. King Crimson and Zappa are probably the two acts I have listened to the most during the last 45 years.
It's been said that Gentle Giant had a bigger fanbase outside of the UK. When I was a teen, nearly everybody in my circle of friends owned Playing The Fool, their live album. And yes, I've listened to endless hours of Zappa and King Crimson also, Genesis up to and including The Lamb was a huge favorite as well. But I like a variety of musics, and dislike the snobbery that some people have about certain genres. Thanks again for the feedback.
I sometimes think prog (the music itself) sort of burnt itself out by it's own over indulgence. I really didn't care much for the sc-fi concept albums in late 70s prog.

I think the music peaked around 75 (maybe even 74) and then it became a lot of costumes and stage antics but I am not sure I heard a great prog record made after 75. maybe I need to dig further.
You make a good point. My favorite prog is early-to-mid 70s, atlhough there is progressive music I like up until about 1980. A bit before then, I began listening to bands like XTC, The Police, and Talking Heads. So that's the direction I went in. 1980s neo-prog bands like Marillion and IQ bored me to tears. There was still good progressive music being made, mostsly Zeuhl and RIO stuff, But with the exception of Cardiacs, not much interesting stuff was made for quite some time. Nowadays, progressive music has seemed to have found a nice niche, with the success of bands like black midi, and the popularity of math rock. I hope the lesson has been learned, and the self-indulgence is over with.
I have not listened to those newer artist. I will check them out. But I agree. Good prog seems to have a found its own nice place in it's own little galaxy today.

Return to “Music Cafe”