Addictive drums

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Holding off on seeking out a drum VST for quite some time, started checking into this and a plethora of offerings.

Started with Addictive Drums quite honestly because of a rep that they have 'and' a demo mode.

Liking what I see and hear and how to use, but a question as I seek out some aspects of the program: what is the sense of future development of this product? I'm getting the sense not much has happened the last while and more than a few users sense a timid timeline for product developments.

I have no idea, so I start with my query 'here' . . . .

Thanks in advance

I don't know. I do know they were quick off the bat for ARM native capability, and I've never had any issues with their online installer, or their customer support. I have no clue what they are doing currently.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Not sure either, but I have it since a while and not much happened on XLN side.

But I do like it, and I use it frequently (also XO).

My guess is that they're working on some new major version of either AD2 or XO. Maybe a new product, allthough I hope they focus on their existing drum plugins.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

They're still doing quite regular updates to it, and as above never had a problem with it.

I use AD2 all the time, but nothing new from them kit-wise in years.
I would enjoy updates and certainly AD3 if it were to surface.

I’ve thought the same thing. No new kits. I’ve got everything drum related they sell except two midi packs and 1 kit piece. If they did a v3 I’d like longer sustaining cymbals and a ride on its own channel. Otherwise it is pretty solid.
Dirk Diggler wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:53 pm I use AD2 all the time, but nothing new from them kit-wise in years.
I would enjoy updates and certainly AD3 if it were to surface.

Appreciate the timely responses to date.

The program is certainly exceeding 'any' expectations I had of this first drum software I'm considering (to date, some fairly basic drum patterns and such created within Samplitude). But being 'future proof' is something I think of . . .

. . . and if I think more of it, if I had a program that has a couple good kits, can take in with ease 3rd party grooves/MIDI, what more would I really need down the road other than something that ramps up the sample quality (such as the incredible performance and quality of some of the more recent keyboard samples that are my main VST instruments beyond that of my hardware Rhodes, ElectraPiano and older Yamaha AN1x. I recently had to build a new audio PC just to be able to play some of these newer key sample kits and its stunning how far behind they leave ones just a handful of years old, to say nothing of my Yamaha CP boards. I sense this 'might' be the same with drum samples??

But I digress . . . . .

I absolutely love the sound of addictive drums. Granted they are very processed, but they use very little hard drive space and are just so easy to use. They do regular minor updates and made VST3 versions not long ago. They may not be doing new kits all the time but the kits they have are already amazing. And they probably focused on XO for a while as well effects.

terra3 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:55 pm I recently had to build a new audio PC just to be able to play some of these newer key sample kits and its stunning how far behind they leave ones just a handful of years old, to say nothing of my Yamaha CP boards. I sense this 'might' be the same with drum samples??

But I digress . . . . .
Not sure on that. Keys (especially acoustic piano) simulations were not that good a longer time ago and got much better over time. Not sure it's the same with Drums.
Imho, - and this depends on the style - if you have good samples and just put them into a sampler with some post FX, that already sounds very good. I'm sure it wouldn't matter much if those samples were new or 10 years old.

To me, AD2 and XO sound really fine. AD2 might feel a bit dated UI wise, but actually it is a very mature and well thought out product that is very usable.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Try the dry or vintage kits or just turn off the processing, you can get a raw sounds out of many of the kits.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:10 am I absolutely love the sound of addictive drums. Granted they are very processed, but they use very little hard drive space and are just so easy to use. They do regular minor updates and made VST3 versions not long ago. They may not be doing new kits all the time but the kits they have are already amazing. And they probably focused on XO for a while as well effects.

I am a big AD2 fan. I started on the original v1 when it was released and had what was called the Retro AD Pak at the time. I used this for a few years but tried out Toontracks Superior 3 for a few years. I bought most of the SDX’s and EZX’s but missed AD.
At the beginning of last year picked up a great deal on here for AD2 plus the Fairfax and United Heavy kits and loved them. I also hugely prefer the workflow of AD2 and ended up buying all the other AD-Paks on here. Since then I haven’t used Superior 3.
I find it really impressive what XLN Audio achieved several years before Superior 3 and a lot of Toontracks SDX/EZX’s. The AD-Paks are much older than many of the Toontrack products and are also much smaller in file size but sound closer to what I’m used to hearing through my monitors regarding a miked up acoustic kit when processing is turned off.
I do find the AD2 gui a bit dated and still feel there’s more room for tonal variations in the different velocity layers and I really hope XLN Audio are working on taking this library to a new level. Considering what XLN Audio achieved several years ago with such small sized AD-Paks (by todays standards) I would love to see what they could do now with a hypothetical AD3!!

My favorite kit is still the default one that opened up in AD1 (and still does in my AD2)

Toontrack does better midi grooves imho. And EZ3 sounds phenomenal (few libs are also killer, UK Pop f.i.).

But AD2 does sound great. I've used Ludwigs a couple of times, some others too.

There's not much going on there lately, though.

But I can't complain, AD2 works great, always did.

k

Great points on the sample size and overall footprint, much smaller disk size needed compared to others.

The key to great sounds is to use the individual outs and mix it just like a real acoustic kit.

I think XLN as a company is pretty active and are quick and committed to maintenance updates of their products.

I think in the near future they might update AD2 or maybe start integrating it with their newer products, the drum sample stuff XO.
dedication to flying

Return to “Instruments”