VST2 or VST3

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:33 pm
Jeff McClintock wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:31 pm You'll want to update it. Many formats are listed as "Full MIDI Support" yet they only support MIDI 1.0 ;)
AFAIK the formats that fully support MIDI (1.0 and 2.0) are: AudioUnits and GMPI (SynthEdit)
No format can - because the specs have not been finalized.
I'm already running MIDI 2.0 plugins on macOS. MIDI 2.0 is supported at the OS level and in the Audio Unit API. Apart from a few tweaks, It's done.
It's also on Android I understand. (Windows is the laggard).

There are certain adjustments to the MIDI 2.0 spec pending inclusion to the standard, according to Pete Brown from MS (point 1 in this post).

Thanks for the info.
I think it's wise that they take enough time to care about the details and possible pitfalls. We already have to waste enough time with the crippled plugin-interface of a well-known company.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:03 am There are certain adjustments to the MIDI 2.0 spec pending inclusion to the standard, according to Pete Brown from MS (point 1 in this post).
Yeah, They realized that there was no point insisting on 'protocol negotiation' ("are you MIDI 2.0?") over a MIDI 2.0 transport, because duh.

Jeff McClintock wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:06 am
Urs wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:33 pm
Jeff McClintock wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:31 pm You'll want to update it. Many formats are listed as "Full MIDI Support" yet they only support MIDI 1.0 ;)
AFAIK the formats that fully support MIDI (1.0 and 2.0) are: AudioUnits and GMPI (SynthEdit)
No format can - because the specs have not been finalized.
I'm already running MIDI 2.0 plugins on macOS. MIDI 2.0 is supported at the OS level and in the Audio Unit API. Apart from a few tweaks, It's done.
It's also on Android I understand. (Windows is the laggard).
I test your Synthedit 1.5 Beta. But no Midi Out works in Synthedit ??
VST3 cannot handle Midi Out right ?

Jeff McClintock wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:04 pm They realized that there was no point insisting on 'protocol negotiation' ("are you MIDI 2.0?") over a MIDI 2.0 transport, because duh.
There could be an adapter inbetween, allowing a v1 device being connected over v2 transport. :troll:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

freebird90 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:30 am I test your Synthedit 1.5 Beta. But no Midi Out works in Synthedit ??
VST3 cannot handle Midi Out right ?
It can now (since SynthEdit Version 1.5). But note that some DAWs like Cubase do not yet support MIDI out from VST3 plugins, even if the plugin does support MIDI out. Especially on effect plugins.
It's been quite a hassle for people making MIDI processing plugins. One workaround is to make a pretend instrument plugin (that is really a MIDI effect)
Last edited by Jeff McClintock on Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(double post sorry)

Except where unavailable I've switched to using all VST3/VST3i plugins. In Reaper. No issues.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”