Fixed Split mode when used with 'fret inlay / full color scale' modes

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As the title says, this a patch i created to fix LED issues when using Split mode when used with 'fret inlay / full color scale' modes - Hopefully the patch will make it into official firmware eventually but if you wish to give it a try here's my repo fork:

https://github.com/cmhoneycutt343/linns ... are-chuckb

Unless you've played with 'fret inlay / full color scale' modes you probably wouldn't have noticed this issue; but long story short the LEDs from these scales did not play nice with cc fader / strum splits so that's what motivated the fix.

For those interested in my pull request to official FW repo:

https://github.com/rogerlinndesign/linn ... re/pull/48

To all-- rocklobster is referring to what is called "custom light patterns" in the Panel Settings page, specifically the highest 3 "Scale Select" memories that permit setting each pad to any of 10 colors, as described in the Panel Settings page, Global Settings tab, Note Lights On/Off section, Scale Select subsection. This feature always covers the entire surface and therefore ignores splits and transpositions.

rocklobster-- can you add details of how you implemented it? For example, is it always locked to the left split?

Sure Roger - when using the split with "custom light patterns" scales, they will function the same as the "normal scales" in split mode, with 2 small differences:

1. The user will not see the "custom light patterns" when holding the split button and sliding left-right selecting a split point the way one would see the 2 different color sets of "normal scales" (I tried to get this working for a bit, but couldn't figure it out in time / figured it has relatively little impact on final usability; though if anyone gets to review that PR and could point me in the right direction for addressing that I'd love to see this functioning).
2. If one activates a split where both and left side splits are "normal" splits (i.e. not a 'special' like strum, arp, cc faders), but on a "custom light patterns" scale, then the left-most column of the right split will be lit up yellow --- My thinking was that in a 'normal scale' split on both sides, you can tell where left and right split begin by the color differences in the scales, so since "custom light patterns" cannot have their colors configured per-split, I thought this would be a good visual indicator of where the splits begin and end.

Also note: I only have a Linnstrument 200 and have no been able to test this on a Linnstrument 128 - to the best of my knowledge is should work on both but haven't been able to test it.

How it's implemented in code:

In short, I modified the FW to recognize if a split is a "normal" type (i.e. not a 'special' like strum, arp, cc faders) and only draw LEDs for the "custom light patterns" in the appropriate split area - then added the calls needed to refresh the LED layer that contains the "custom light patterns" when a scale is chosen; split is change, etc.

Thank you, rocklobster, for contributing this to the LinnStrument community.

I was wondering about this, since I have defined custom patterns, indicating only C notes color coded to indicate octave, but could not find a way to see a split boundary. I was planning on seeing what I could do outside to name, preserve and restore setups from a web app.

Speaking of the above, I've looked at the midi commands, and have a couple of questions.

I get the impression that I can interrogate the value of all the NRPN settable value with NRPN 299 (unsure where expression "when possible" means), but it seems there is no mechanism to interrogate custom color assignments, only to assign them with the CC messages, is that correct?

I get the impression that I can interrogate the value of all the NRPN settable value with NRPN 299 (unsure where expression "when possible" means), but it seems there is no mechanism to interrogate custom color assignments, only to assign them with the CC messages, is that correct?
This personally I have no idea about - is there a mechanism for changing those custom LED scales via midi?

I had assumed they were just hard coded in (as 1d byte arrays in Firmware) - I would then all assume that's how you were customizing them?

Send these to Linnstrument to color a cell

CC 20 <Column>
CC 21 <Row>
CC 22 <Color>

Hi rocklobster,

Tesilab is referring to LinnStrument's ability set each pad to any of 10 colors from MIDI CC messages. This feature is described in the Panel Settings page, Global Settings tab, Note Lights On/Off section, subheading "Setting the note lights remotely via MIDI messages".

This does the same thing as LinnStrument's "custom light pattern" feature described on the same page, but does it remotely via MIDI.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”