Contest: Feb ”Gossip”

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ElVincente wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:43 pm
folderol wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:17 am I would suggest, no cheating doing key shifts (or capo for guitar) :-P
:tu:

Just to push the inquiry a little further, when using guitar bends or portamento, we could still pass through the forbidden tones as long as we don't stay long enough to let them be heard as 'a tone', right ?
Sounds reasonable to me (but I don't make the rules) :D
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Made a start on the 'black notes' :hyper:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

drums/perrcussion allowed?

silverpants wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:09 pm I would understand it as:

Song 1: "Write a song using any instruments (virtual, live, vocals etc) - but you are restricted to only using C#, D#, F#, G#, A#"

Song 2: "As above - but only using A B C D E F G"
Same here

Babylon420 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:24 pm drums/perrcussion allowed?

Yes of course

folderol wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:17 am I would suggest, no cheating doing key shifts (or capo for guitar) :-P

Just to push the inquiry a little further, when using guitar bends or portamento, we could still pass through the forbidden tones as long as we don't stay long enough to let them be heard as 'a tone', right ?

No, Sinne you can’t to that on piano, can you not do that on Guitar.

If you're talking about the "Forbidden Tones" - then you must also consider the Boîte Diabolique ;)

https://youtu.be/mE0takm9TX0
Captain Silverpants

Haa funny :) is this monty pythons ?

I have an idea for song 2 as well, but this could take some time :scared:

ElVincente wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:24 am Haa funny :) is this monty pythons ?
No, it's more modern than that. But it's made to look like a spoof 1970s school TV science show. It's called "Look Around You".

https://youtu.be/rqkUISJej2o
Captain Silverpants

Only black keys track pretty much finished, just under 3 minutes long. :tu:

(wanted to hit the F key several times during some parts :cry: :hihi:) Fun limitation! :clap:
No clue what'll I do with White Keys only, but I'll post both tracks when the white keys is also finished.
With all the fx, amp and synth emulations out there, not to mention AI, you can finally sound like…? Someone else and something that has already been done! :clap: :tu: :party: ------- :scared:

Nice one @silverpants! I remember the VCS3 and the Cricklewood (keyboard) well! The electronic arts society had the Synthi-A version. I ran the society for some time!

Need to think about whether I will have time to enter this or not? Medical issues await!

dB

The first question: is the transpose of instruments in the spirit of this month or not? For example, if I make a track for the white keys in C major. Then I will make a track for the black keys with the main tone of C-sharp, but I will lower it half a tone lower so that the main frequency is C, still obeying the structure of the black notes. This would make it possible to make a dilogy based on the common main tone.
The second question (in fact, it has already been asked and answered, so I apologize for asking again): can we use bends that are characteristic of instruments, but do not sound like a transition to a new tone? Fast, halftone, quarter-tone, vibrato? Black keys are primarily associated with oriental music for me (Japan, China), but for example koto without these instant bends would sound very boring and unrealistic.
The third question: now I'm in doubt - can we use other tonal instruments besides the piano and guitar mentioned this month? I play on a midi keyboard, so following the rules is not a problem (for guitar, too, you can find the b/w layout by frets), but should I stick only to the piano sound?

My impression (and what I'm working with) is that it's simply a piano style keyboard range, not specifically a piano (or guitar)

I'd go with “use only the five notes from a single pentatonic scale of choice”.
If you transpose the “black-keys-on-a-keyboard-scale”, the limitation/challege would still be the same...

Return to “Music Cafe”