E-mu Emulator X3 sounds fantastic!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Emulator X

tlainhart wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:11 am
tactile_coast wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:17 am Now that the authorisation server is down there is a community MOD...
Give me a clue where to look? My googling skills are coming up short. My fear for a while now is that a motherboard upgrade and reinstall will render my X3 (and all my expansions) DOA.
Think I may have found it...

:tu:

I noticed a problem with it crashing sometimes. But disabling disk streaming in preferences made it stable. Just an FYI if you have issues.

I'm experiencing crashing in Cubase. I had a project with like 4 loaded working, saved project, but when reopening project, I get "emulator cant find samples" then I point it to samples "emulator cant load sample" and it loads without gui working. no matter what I do it wont reopen the plugins, any fix for this?

HREQ wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:33 am I'm experiencing crashing in Cubase. I had a project with like 4 loaded working, saved project, but when reopening project, I get "emulator cant find samples" then I point it to samples "emulator cant load sample" and it loads without gui working. no matter what I do it wont reopen the plugins, any fix for this?
Does the standalone version load the same samples you're trying to load in the project? If not, the sample file could be corrupt. If it does, can you create a new project with the plug-in and load the samples?

Ultimately, if it worked properly once, you may just need to uninstall and re-install it. There really is no "support" for this any longer, but assuming OS on your system hasn't changed significantly through updates, if it worked (more or less) recently, it should still work.

If you're on a Windows system, running CHKDSK /F from an admin-level command prompt (and rebooting Windows to let the command run) can also fix seemingly bizarre file/app issues. The MacOS has a similar disk-checking app which can fix file permissions and attributes.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Smasha wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:00 am Authorisation is broken in latest version of Windows 11.

Get a fail when contacting the server.
Confirming that the authorization server is down. I just reinstalled Windows 10 and X3 on a new motherboard. Also verified that the customer support aliases for E-MU via Creative (EMU.Support@customercare.creative.com, CLI.support@customercare.creative.com) are dead. "support@emu.com" responds, but only that the product is unsupported (I suspect that "emu.com" is just a marketplace for their teak headphones, and knows nothing about E-MU legacy).

@planetearth

I tried everything TBH. I tried the chkdsk, reinstalling all versions I could find online. I havent been using it cuz of the unstableness but I really want to use it. I think I have to treat it like a hardware synth and just run 1 channel and record to audio, then disable the plugin channel and rename it to patch, rense and repeat.

In cubase

I sometimes get this error lol and honestly don't know how or when it happens. I was trying to replicate it here. and it randomly popped up. I think I cant have more then 3 to 4 channels.

Also anything paste 4 tracks of it loads supppppppppper slow, like never loads. Also have a problem where it forgets the patch loaded when reopening project sometimes, but then sometimes it doesn't. and if I click "find sample" or whatever it'll just say it cant do it, then if I tried to click the instrument it pops up blank plugin box, or does that error again and crashes.

it seems disable track and enable track messes it up every other time I do it. I tried reopening project 10 times it never crashed, but after 3 disables it forgot the bank file and if u try to reload the bank it crashes for me lol

HREQ wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:26 pm @planetearth

I tried everything TBH. I tried the chkdsk, reinstalling all versions I could find online. I havent been using it cuz of the unstableness but I really want to use it. I think I have to treat it like a hardware synth and just run 1 channel and record to audio, then disable the plugin channel and rename it to patch, rense and repeat.

In cubase

I sometimes get this error lol and honestly don't know how or when it happens. I was trying to replicate it here. and it randomly popped up. I think I cant have more then 3 to 4 channels.

Also anything paste 4 tracks of it loads supppppppppper slow, like never loads. Also have a problem where it forgets the patch loaded when reopening project sometimes, but then sometimes it doesn't. and if I click "find sample" or whatever it'll just say it cant do it, then if I tried to click the instrument it pops up blank plugin box, or does that error again and crashes.

it seems disable track and enable track messes it up every other time I do it. I tried reopening project 10 times it never crashed, but after 3 disables it forgot the bank file and if u try to reload the bank it crashes for me lol
I have a few of the same issues you do with it -- and one more: When I use any project in Cakewalk that has the Emulator X3 in it, it will crash Cakewalk when I close the project or exit. I can save the project and close it, but if I do, or if I save it and just exit Cakewalk, it crashes. (Fortunately, I don't lose anything except for an entry in the "recently opened files" list for that project.)

I've had projects with X3 in them that have ridiculous latency because of X3. In some cases, the timing of the other plug-ins may even be out of sync with each other. But if I re-create the project without X3 in it, or if I render the audio like you described, the timing is fine.

This is probably what we'll have to live with until the plug-in simply no longer installs or loads sometime in the (probably not-too-distant) future.

Have you tried to use a tool to comb through the crash dump to see what that error actually refers to? I haven't seen anyone mention that specific issue or your "missing samples" issue.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Haha I don't think I can figure anything out from this thing but I tried.

https://imgur.com/a/yxa9srX

The "missing samples" error seems to only happen if I disable and re-enabled plugin within daw then save project and reopen
project I tink.......... I'm going to have to try running a project and putting 4 instances of it and never disabling them and reopening for a few days to see if it ever errors...

I do know I def cant run more than 5 of these or the project just won't load, it hangs on loading emulatorx forever, that's what initally got me to start using the "disable plugin" feature for it inside cubase.

I might have to buy a real emulator xtreme lead cause I really like the sounds lol

edit// just got a new error LMAO I have no idea why its in chinese

HREQ wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:57 pm Haha I don't think I can figure anything out from this thing but I tried.

https://imgur.com/a/yxa9srX

The "missing samples" error seems to only happen if I disable and re-enabled plugin within daw then save project and reopen
project I tink.......... I'm going to have to try running a project and putting 4 instances of it and never disabling them and reopening for a few days to see if it ever errors...

I do know I def cant run more than 5 of these or the project just won't load, it hangs on loading emulatorx forever, that's what initally got me to start using the "disable plugin" feature for it inside cubase.

I might have to buy a real emulator xtreme lead cause I really like the sounds lol

edit// just got a new error LMAO I have no idea why its in chinese

Wow! That's a new one to me. I don't think I've ever seen a Chinese error on a Windows system.

When I get back to my DAW this week, I'll try to re-create the problem you're having by disabling and then re-enabling the plug-in before saving and re-opening the project. I know X3 will cause Cakewalk to crash when I close it, so I'll have re-start the DAW, but if that doesn't "break" whatever's cauing your problem, I might at least be able to re-create it.

Solving it, however, will be a different matter. :scared:

Steve

For those of you having issues authorizing their copy of emulator x3, a pre activated version(32 bit and 64 bit), can be downloaded frm the following link.
https://archive.org/details/setup-emula ... 64-v-3.0.0
Music is the language of the soul.

The best music comes from the heart of the performer or composer.

Does anyone know if the Arp/Beats function from all the Proteus-2000 synths are still present in Emulator X3? Whenever I play a preset that is either part of the "Arpeggiated" or "Beats" category within Emulator X3, it only plays a single one shot note and I can't seem to activate any kind of arpeggiating or looping even if I activate TwistaLoop and set a tempo etc. Is this feature only exclusive to the racks or am I possibly missing something? Thanks in advance!

Deprincer wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:27 am Does anyone know if the Arp/Beats function from all the Proteus-2000 synths are still present in Emulator X3? Whenever I play a preset that is either part of the "Arpeggiated" or "Beats" category within Emulator X3, it only plays a single one shot note and I can't seem to activate any kind of arpeggiating or looping even if I activate TwistaLoop and set a tempo etc. Is this feature only exclusive to the racks or am I possibly missing something? Thanks in advance!
I believe the Arp/Beats function is missing from X3, and I'm not entirely sure it was in the Proteus VX plug-in, either. To be honest, I didn't know it was missing from either plug-in, because I never owned the hardware. I have the Proteus VX standalone (which still works, though not in a 64-bit DAW), so if there's a particular preset you're referring to, I can see if it's in the 1500 or so that came with the plug-in.

As I understand it from another thread I'm following on the making of new ROMs for E-Mu products, the part of the ROM where the arpeggiation sequences were stored is separate (more or less) from the rest of the sound ROM. This may be why E-Mu didn't bother to port it to the plug-in. Obviously though, if they then included sounds that relied upon the arpeggiator, those wouldn't have sounded right, as you're seeing now.

Steve

sorry to revive this but this is such a niche product i don't really know where else to ask.

I got my hands on the EmulatorX and the bank for the orbit 9090 (labelled as 8080 in the filename for some reason). I'm running into a similar issue as Deprincer above. When I compare the sounds coming out of the plugin to the sounds coming out of the actual module, it seems like all the preset modulation is gone. For example...

This is what the preset 000:056 syn:Hard sounds like on the actual module:
example 1: https://youtu.be/4h6ZhRwlkVU?t=546
example 2: https://www.synthmania.com/E-mu%20Orbit ... n-Hard.mp3

There's a very clear envelope modulating some of the parameters, maybe the resonance on a filter or the pitch I'm not sure. Compare that to what it sounds like when I play it on the plugin:
https://voca.ro/1bX2fpSyihLn

No modulation whatsoever.

Another example:

Here's what the preset 000:078 syn:Excapes sounds like on the actual module:
example 1: https://youtu.be/4h6ZhRwlkVU?t=754
example 2: https://www.synthmania.com/E-mu%20Orbit ... xcapes.mp3

Again very clear modulation happening. Compare that to what it sounds like when I play it on the plugin:
https://vocaroo.com/13JsiRxg1uFC

Once again no modulation (beyond the modulation recorded within the samples themselves)

I messed around for hours on the plugin trying to figure out but couldn't. Online resources are scarce. Is there something I'm missing, or is this functionality completely left out of the EmulatorX?

well i have no module to compare it to. the functionality to CREATE the modulation is there - you use patch cords to connect modulation sources to destinations. you COULD add a modulation envelope. and tons of other stuff.

but whether that info is preserved in the presets, which seems to be the question you're asking, is a separate issue and from what you have posted it seems that it's not. and i don't know about the arp or beats function. there's a "function generator" you can use in many ways but whether or not it can do usable arps, i don't know. sorry!

Return to “Instruments”